Legends You Have Seen Live?

rplace

I've been fortunate to see lots of the great rock acts before they, as Pink Floyd might say, moved on to The Great Gig in the Sky. Bowie dying in 2016 seemed like a real loss to me, more so than most others.

Lately I've been thinking about what is the most influential or iconic band/person I've seen live. Not that he was my favorite but I keep coming back to Chuck Berry as the one I could trace back to having the biggest impact on music that I actually saw live.

Who is your top pick for most iconic/influential that you have seen in person?

• Like 1

I've seen Joni Mitchel, early Billy Joel (piano man Billy Joel), Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Charlie Daniels, Marshall Tucker, Doc Severinson, Chuck Mangione  and many others from the mid to late 70's. 

The best of the best played to a crowd of about 3,000 in the Creative Arts Center in Morgantown.  He was a big guy from Europe somewhere wearing a tux and he walked out on stage alone without accompaniment, couldn't speak English and he was holding this little tiny thing called a piccolo trumpet.  He put the instrument to his lips and began to play.  Two hours later after flawless, perfect, virtuoso playing, he stopped, bowed and walked off stage.  I had never heard such perfection.

There was him, and then there was everybody else.  This was the best trumpet player in the world, Maurice Andre. 

Having seen around 600 concerts I have seen my share of "Legends". Les Paul would be right up there, Chuck Berry with Ron Wood was great, Stevie Ray Vaughan double bill with Johnny Winter, Robert Fripp in a tiny venue all were memorable. Stan Getz opening for Benny Goodman at Carnegie Hall was amazing. Leo Kottke depressing the heck out of guitarists for miles around, etc....

• Like 1

I know Ali couldn't sing a lick, but he is a legend.

Regarding music legends:

The Byrds at the Grand Haven Roller Rink, Jefferson Airplane, Steve Miller & the Eagles at MSU.  The Eagles & Linda Ronstadt at University of Maryland, and Dave Brubeck at Detroit Jazz Festival.  Live music is great in the right venues.  I refuse to see anybody in a stadium

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

I know Ali couldn't sing a lick, but he is a legend.

Regarding music legends:

The Byrds at the Grand Haven Roller Rink, Jefferson Airplane, Steve Miller & the Eagles at MSU.  The Eagles & Linda Ronstadt at University of Maryland, and Dave Brubeck at Detroit Jazz Festival.  Live music is great in the right venues.  I refuse to see anybody in a stadium

Maybe he couldn't sing but he could float like a  butterfly ---

And if he Did sing, one should listen ?!?

been to a few shows

Geo Harrison, ELP, JohnnyWinter, SteveMiller, WillieNelson, RodStewart, PinkFloyd, Santana, SteveWinwood, BarbaraStreisand, BBKing, DavidBowie, felt like I was the oldest person at the Rush show    got paid to see SirPaul

I'm in this vid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Six HUNDRED???  :o  Wow!

An advantage of growing up in NYC, saw my first concert in 1973 when I was 13 years old. James Taylor at Saint John's University, back in the days when your parents would let you walk a mile and a half to and from the concert at night.

• Like 1