Legends You Have Seen Live?

rplace

Funny to me that I originally typed... Don't list every big name band you ever saw, take the time to honestly narrow it down to one...

Then I deleted it because I thought I would come off like a d!c#. Guess I should have erred on the side of d***-ness.

Bonus points to @jimjimbo and @jjptkd for being able to read. ;):emotion-21:

Must admit Ali up close and personal in your frat house is pretty cool

3 minutes ago, rplace said:

Uh, because I didn't post it. Try and keep up.

I keep up pretty well considering my public school education.  You said you "typed it and then deleted it."    You never said you didn't post it.  I simply said I didn't see it.

Rich,

If I felt compelled to follow your directions, I would have had to choose which one of the Byrds was the most legendary, which would have overtaxed my geriatric brain.  On second thought, I should have just said Dave Brubeck and quit while I was ahead, but then you would have missed the photo of Ali with his zipper askew.

If we look at the totality of the thread, the use of "Legends" invites a plural response, does it not?:rolleyes:

• Like 2

I'd almost like to make two lists... one of the greats I've seen and one of the legends I missed seeing such as Ray Charles due to a new baby at home.

There are a few I got to see... I'll mention the ones that were the most FUN.

The Byrds

Chris Brubeck's (Dave's son) Triple play (with Joel Brown, and Peter Madcat Ruth)

Eddy "the Chief" Clearwater

20 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

If we look at the totality of the thread, the use of "Legends" invites a plural response, does it not?:rolleyes:

@DizRotus Neil, I can see how to the casual reader, such as a MSU grad, the title might be complex, confusing and invite a laundry list of every event under the sun. However to the well trained eye like a UofM grad, lets say, the devil is in fact in the details. One must read the entire post and comprehend its content. They key being in the final paragraph.

Who is your top pick for most iconic/influential that you have seen in person?

PSA, UofM and MSU are both public universities. Not sure what they have in WVA. Home schooling in a one room outhouse I am guessing....kidding! I'm kidding.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, wvu80 said:

I was home schooled by my mother...I mean my sister...

...same thing.  :rolleyes:

Ha! I thought the joke was "I'd like you to meet my sister and wife" and when you turn there is one lady standing there...but pretty sure the joke is intended for Oklahoma or the like. Maybe Indiana:o

• Moderators
5 hours ago, rplace said:

I saw B.B. King in a very small intimate setting.

Same here, seen many other legends but this one was an accident.

A long time ago I was in a bar in New Orleans called Rosie's up town along the river on Tchoupitoulas st. The music went off and they made an announcement, anyone want to see the show go to the stairs and pay $10 so i figured why not. The bar was upstairs and was a big open room underneath for bands, I went down and walked up to a table pushed up to the stage, it was just a room with tables and chairs.

I sat down and a minute later a man walked up and asked if anyone else was sitting at the table and I said no. He sat down and we started talking as the room started filling, I told him you look familiar but I don't know your name, it was Allen Toussaint. This was quite the surprise, So I asked who is playing tonight I have no idea, he said B.B. King, I almost fell off my chair shocked, I thought it was some local band. He noticed I was shocked and laughed and said were good friends your in for a treat. When BB came out he pulled his chair right in front of where were sitting and played and talked with Allen the whole show, 6' from our seats.

It was the best and most personal performance I have ever seen, and for $10 plus a 100% accident.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

no Deadheads?  I wasn't. Worked on Bill Kreutzmann's boat. Has/had a house band at a bar on Kauai.. 

saw Yes, Styx and LittleFeat[2X]

they tend to play smaller venues. Fun time.

Well I guess they are genuine legends but I went for my most famous names, bands. So yes I saw the Dead in KC in their early years.

How early? They were the opening act for Iron Butterfly ?!?

• Like 2

Bruce Springsteen Little Rock May 1976.

600 people in attendance despite Born To Run already released and charting, and he had been on both the covers of Time and Newsweek in the same week.

No matter, he proceeded to burn the house down for three plus hours.

• Like 3

Yup, the high school DJ here who was always pulling something to get close to my love for music.  I can remember meeting Brenda Lee and Leslie Gore at our county fair.  Still have those signed 45's too...  Then when I could actually take the car to "lap" downtown  in 1965 with everyone else I got bored.  I'd heard about this Joe Walsh dude  from Cleveland and this place called "The Roostertail" in Detroit where ALL the Motown groups played.  Yea, I had to...  Grab someone and drive 2 hours to Cleveland so see Joe playing @ the Painesville Armory teen club on Sunday afternoons.  Became friends with him there and still am today.  The Roostertail was a different story, 3 hours up and 3 hours home yet we managed to pull it off and saw so many great groups.  Naturally, that all progressed into more of an addiction.  Winter of 66 or early 67 took a shot in a blizzard to Lima, Ohio, which is a couple hours West of me.  The Yardbirds w/ Clapton and Jimmy Page...  Had the opportunity to meet them that night.  The highlight?  Jimi @ Vets Memorial in Cbus, Ohio from the orchestra pit.  Conned some bkstage passes and got an invite back to their suite after the show.  Yup, just follow us when we leave.  Cops on Harley's and there we were being way cool.  More to the story?  Mmmhmmm  tons...  That's my story and I'm stickin to it.  Legends?  Influence?  Nah.  I'm totally whacked!

Diz...  Cassius Clay could sing...  Old 45 of him doing "Stand By Me."  Nice job on it  :)

Edited by Dave1290
  • Like 1