Legends You Have Seen Live?

rplace

2 hours ago, rplace said:

Ha! I thought the joke was "I'd like you to meet my sister and wife" and when you turn there is one lady standing there...but pretty sure the joke is intended for Oklahoma or the like. Maybe Indiana:o

The follow up joke is "it's funny because it's true..."

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rplace said:

Ha! I thought the joke was "I'd like you to meet my sister and wife" and when you turn there is one lady standing there...but pretty sure the joke is intended for Oklahoma or the like. Maybe Indiana:o

Let's just say the branches on the average family in West Virginia don't go out that far. 

841e59ec98fb37e9959bdb36af840c2c--too-fu

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll expand the use of the word "legends" a bit to include some who were not musicians, but were part of the ferment.  These are listed at the end of the list with music folk at the beginning.

Grace Slick and The Jefferson Airplane [later became The Jefferson Starship, with some changes in membership]

The Grateful Dead

Country Joe and the Fish

Jim Morrison and the Doors

The Loading Zone

I Am the Sky

Archie Shep at the Both/And

Arlo Guthrie

Allen Ginsberg reading Wichita Vortex at the original Fillmore

Paul Goodman, Allan Watts, Brother Antoninus (William Everson), Eldridge Cleaver,  Angela Davis, Kenneth Rexroth, Ursula Le Guin, Gene Roddenberry [both at The Inner Reaches of Outer Space], Arthur C. Clarke, Peter Coyote (and the San Francisco Mime Troupe), Paul Schrader,  Dalton Trumbo and others who dipped in and out of the soup of the San Francisco Bay Area.

I can't pick one. 

EDIT:  Archie Shep may have been the most innovative, the first three on the list the most emblematic of my days in the sun, Paul Goodman the most brilliant and the freshest breath of air [but I disagreed with him often enough], but ... I saw Arlo Guthrie perform about five or six years ago, with his many children, with such warmth and humor -- the spirit of the age lives on, and creates itself anew!

I totally forgot to mention The Beatles at Candlestick Park.  They were great, as usual, but it was a cold night.  The usual proportion of the crowd was a little crazy;  people were trying to climb the totally inadequate cyclone fence around the field, and the security reacted (those in uniform were mostly Burns rent-a-cop).  A few kids got over the fence.  One guy ran toward the Beatles and was tackled by two security guys.  So far, so good, but their idea of arresting him and bringing him before the bar of justice was to spread his legs and kick him -- hard -- in the family jewels.  A girl got her arms over the top of the fence and two officers grabbed her by the legs and pulled her hard, ripping her arms open on the fence.  The part of the crowd that was near this incident was reacting, roaring/howling, and Ringo was looking over his shoulder at the noise.