Legends You Have Seen Live?

rplace

10 hours ago, rebuy said:

When I worked in radio,

I met and MC'ed a show

for Jerry Reed. A nice guy who could play a guitar.

They're are not too many comedians that can sing their jokes.

Clapton yes, saw him twice. Well worth the ticket price.

But in a different vein of musicianship and showmanship I'd have to say Roy Clark & Arthur Smith in Smiths small studio on Monroe Rd. here.

There will never be two more of those guys!

The year was about 1976 and  “Sweet, Sweet Connie doin her act” at a show in Little Rock pissed off some of the City officials so badly that the next show was banned and ended up being held in Pine Bluff, AR.  

Not many people got the word so very few people showed up, I guesstimated about 300.  Crowd size didn’t effect the Performance “THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND”

gave that night. Sitting in the wings was Greggs wife at the time (Cher) who seemed to be having a great time along with the rest of us.  

At one point a bag of unknown substance was thrown onto the stage and quickly kicked to the side by the boot of Dicky Betts.  

Connie was a Local who gained notoriety by making her way on stage at concerts and giving a show of her own.  She even ended up being mentioned in the song “We’re An American Band” by Grand Funk Railroad.

• Like 2

Duke Ellington in about 1968.

The high school on Long Island had a medium size auditorium.  Actually, not a bad venue.  I was approximately the head AV guy assigned to run the lights and open the curtains.

At the time I knew Duke was sort of my father's music and not rock and roll.  Stupid kid that I was.

I heard all of it from back stage not appreciating the import.

BTW, there were a few slinky gals in gowns orbiting him during breaks.  He seemed to ignore them and I didn't see the point of it.

This would have been a good opportunity to make a bootleg recording but that didn't happen.

WMcD

• Like 1