Have to change a hard drive in a 27" iMac tonight...ugh

avguytx

I despise having to work on Apple stuff and always dreaded that when I was the Network Admin for a school district.  Now working for the city as NA, I'm so thankful we don't use ANY Apple at all.  But, this is for the Dr my wife works for and they've had the replacement drive for 3 years so I volunteered.  Only stipulation was that I got to order the little tools I needed, the new adhesive kit for the screen, and, "IF" the screen broke along the way, that I wasn't really thrilled with the replacement cost.  Their reply was basically it's just been sitting for 3 years so it won't matter.  Gee.  Oh well, this will be a fun night.  Thankfully there's nothing really to watch on TV tonight so I'll fire up some music and just roll with it...

10 hours ago, Marvel said:

What adhesive is used on the screen on an iMac? Just curious, as the ones I worked on were held in place with magnets.

Bruce

You were right...it was magnets that held this one on. When I was at the school, we had some 21" models with adhesive similar to what iPads used. I was glad to see it was magnets once I got started. New hard drive is in but I couldn't get it to boot to internet recovery so I stopped about 10pm last night. This thing hasn't worked in close to 5 years and Apple sent them a new hard drive which has also been sitting 5 years. Sheesh. I don't keep any Apple stuff here or at work so may have to order a copy of Snow Leopard and do clean install and upgrade. You know it's an old iMac when it only has 4gb of memory. 

Did you use the rubber suction cups for the glass. That's what our repair guy used. I used duct tape once... :o

Do they have another Mac? I used Carbon Copy Cloner from Bombich Software, and made a system image on a usb/firewire drive. Plug that in to the one you replaced the drive in and boot from from it. The write back to the new drive. I could replicate a drive in ten minutes. That way all the software was already installed.

https://bombich.com/

They have a 30 day trial you could use.

Bruce

• Like 1

Haha. Yeah, I'm a Windows guy myself and, thankfully, all the city uses. This "new" 5 year old drive they sent for a replacement years ago is doing a lot of clicking...makes me wonder if it has bit rot.  It won't boot to disk utilities and I think it's too old for network recovery. I may have to get a Snow Leopard disc and install it that way to get to the app store to upgrade. 

That might be arranged... I'll have a look through my stash at home.

btw, I don't like Apple... some of the Macs have ok technology, but you can certainly get more bang for your buck with a generic pc running Windows or Linux.

Bruce

I agree fully, Bruce.  I'm glad we (city I work for) don't use any Mac products at all.  The city supplied phones are all Android based, thankfully, too.  You just can't easily manage Apple products in a Windows Server atmosphere easily without jumping through some sort of fiery hoops.  

My wife and daughter both have an iPhone 8 and an iWatch series 3 that I got them for Christmas.  I let them figure those things out and all I do is make sure everything stays backed up.  My inlaws both use iPhones and my mother in law is seriously nowhere near smart enough to own a smart phone.  She'll ask me questions about them and say "isn't that what you do??"  and all I tell her is "I have a degree in Network Administration, Microsoft certifications, and Cisco Certifications....they don't have college classes for (cr)Apple stuff so call AT&T as I don't have a degree in cell phones".  lol

Why is it people think because you're an NA you're supposed to know everything about phones, too.  ha.   I have a friend in Little Rock I went to college with who is the Network Admin for the Arkansas Democrat/Gazette newspaper and guess what platform they use.  Yep....Mac and he loves Mac.  So, guess who gets text messages and phone calls on rare occasions.

I may have to do this to mine as well...not looking forward to it...all the YouTube vids say it is a somewhat simple but tedious project...as long as you get the tools...some companies make the kit as a package for sale along with buying the new drive or whatever you are replacing.

Bill

The iMac I'm working on is a late 2009 27" Core 2 Duo processor with 4GB memory and a 1TB drive.  All they're going to ultimately use this iMac for is for pictures so I'm not really recommending a SSD to go into it being that it's 8+ years old.  A new WD 1TB drive on Amazon is about $50 shipped and 2TB isn't that much more.  I told them they need to spend  the $9.99 a month for the Apple cloud backup that gives them 2TB of space which is quite good.  It still amazes me that people want to take tons of pictures and  think nothing of backing them up until it's too late.  

"IF" this thing will work once the new drive goes in, then I recommended them to max the memory out at 16GB instead of the basic 4GB that's in it.  But no matter what  they put into this thing, it's still an 8+ year old computer; it doesn't matter that it's an iMac...it still uses most of the same stuff a Windows machine uses for hardware.  But since I can't do internet recovery to install the OS, I'll have to start basic with the DVD and upgrade from there.  I just don't want to spend a lot of time on this thing....get it going and get it back.  But, they're paying me for it so....

1 hour ago, avguytx said:

The iMac I'm working on is a late 2009 27" Core 2 Duo processor with 4GB memory and a 1TB drive.  All they're going to ultimately use this iMac for is for pictures so I'm not really recommending a SSD to go into it being that it's 8+ years old.  A new WD 1TB drive on Amazon is about $50 shipped and 2TB isn't that much more.  I told them they need to spend  the $9.99 a month for the Apple cloud backup that gives them 2TB of space which is quite good.  It still amazes me that people want to take tons of pictures and  think nothing of backing them up until it's too late.  

"IF" this thing will work once the new drive goes in, then I recommended them to max the memory out at 16GB instead of the basic 4GB that's in it.  But no matter what  they put into this thing, it's still an 8+ year old computer; it doesn't matter that it's an iMac...it still uses most of the same stuff a Windows machine uses for hardware.  But since I can't do internet recovery to install the OS, I'll have to start basic with the DVD and upgrade from there.  I just don't want to spend a lot of time on this thing....get it going and get it back.  But, they're paying me for it so....

This sounds to me like a basic economic problem like where is the bottom line?

JJK

4 hours ago, Marvel said:

That might be arranged... I'll have a look through my stash at home.

btw, I don't like Apple... some of the Macs have ok technology, but you can certainly get more bang for your buck with a generic pc running Windows or Linux.

Bruce

I have a Lenovo Legion Y520 i7-7700HQ from Costco early last year, and it has been a great laptop!  A nice, sturdy build, and the red, backlit keyboard is much better (and less hokey) than I thought.  It's very easy on the eyes in a lit or dark room.  And it's very fast!

lenovo-laptop-legion-y520-15-videos.png?