kg4 woofer repair

kubotadave

• Moderators

It's not hard to do, I did some Baby Advent's a few times.

If you have not done it before be sure to use the shims usually supplied it helps keep the voice coil aligned. It's not hard at all, I would much rather diy then send it off.

Edit; Just read on of those sites, they say no need to remove the dust cover to align the voice coil, that's new I guess, not what they use to say ?

Kubotadave, I love my kubota !

If you are just doing the surrounds, no shims needed. Glue the inner part of the surround first and wait for it to set. For the outer part of the surround, I hook the woofer up to a integrated amp or receiver and put a 90hz test tone through it (app on my phone). I glue the outer part while the woofer is playing the tone, this helps the woofer stay centered, if you go off centered, you will hear it.

• Moderators

The kit I used probably 25 years ago just for replacing rotted foam surrounds came as a kit. This was good the first time I did it because I had no idea whet to do. I was not crazy about the idea but it said to cut away the dust cap then put in the 3 shims to hold the voice coil and glue the new surround back on. It would had been much easier if it did not have to be cut and shimmed.

What I did not think about back then was the first time I did it, I should used anything besides foam again, every few years it had to be redone.