shrinking cornwall

justinsweber

In my efforts to shrink a Klipsch Cornwall we've come up with this.
The front baffle is 30x20 which is about 4" narrower and 4" shorter than a stock Cornwall. 
Ive left the speaker making biz but still love building speakers. The Faital horn and HF140 are a fantastic combo, really lowers the cost of building these. 

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’ve toyed with the idea of moving the ports up to the mid section to reduce the height even more.  Plan to cross at 800hz. He drive with go lower but the horn published spec suggest it wants an 800hz crossover.  As I will be using a 2nd order for the bass I could go to 500hz pretty easy. Plan to listen at 800hz and then at 500hz and decide which is a better combo for this speaker.  Wife said no to the Jubs in the tv room. Maybe these can win her over. 

We plugged in the needed specs into bass box pro.

The Cornwall is much to large if I recall. Ive previously observed smaller cabs seems to have tighter bass. 

That said, we have the cab and port size matched to suggestions from bass box pro.

Dave did the Calcs and the cutting. Im just the assembly monkey. 

ALK designed a AP12-800 so I should have a well tailored setup. The cab is 17" deep. Not crazy but deeper than stock for sure.

Im waiting on some threadcerts from McMasterCar. I should have in by tomorrow. 

The brace from Crites is fantastic. I have it bolting into a cross brace... The goal is for a strong cab.

They look nice, cool project! Klipsch already shrunk the Cornwall cabinet down over 30 years ago they called it the Chorus (cabinet went from roughly 6.5cuft to roughly 4.5cuft) and yes the bass is much tighter but at the cost of some low end extension. Are you sticking with the k-33 woofers or using something else? 

ALK AP12-800.

Ive used the Ap12-500 before with great results. Crossing at 800hz should allow me to push more power through it.

I plan to listen to both AP12-500 and AP12-800 and compare the two.

The Back panel has 10 1/4-20 bolts.

We edge banded the sides of the panel to stop from chipping it away as it went in.

The 4 middle bolts will pin the pack panels mid section.

Hard to see, but there is a mid back to support the horn. It has a pair of 1/4-20 thread-certs. Everything bolts in.

I tested all my glued thread-certs from yesterday. I replaced 3 of the 16 with hurricane nuts and glued them in too. 

When fully assembled this should be pretty shout. 

FYI The Faital horn used 12-24 recessed bolts. I tried 1/4-20 but they stick out some. The 12-24s count. 

I have on order 20 12-24 recessed/counter sunk bolts, larger washers and Kep-locks.

IMG_0039.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wife decided on a dark sky blue... will have Dunn Edwards mix it up as a pre-cat Lacquer. 

Black Baffle, Back rear, Black Riser and Black grill. The body will dark sky blue... should be a wonderful look. 

The riser is a simple but lovely pice, edges are cut at 45" and then edge banded and lacquered. 

Ill be fastening it with 6 bolts and the cab will have 1/4-20 thread-certs. 

The grill is having plastic pegs used. Im glueing in 20gage 2" circles to make sure they never poke through the baffle... the whole thing is over kill but it my project this year... that and the Pass F6. 

that will be neat colour. I’m doing the same kind of overkill with my cabinets too. why not, it’s only a few extra piecs & screws to extra brace & reinforce. those kappas will shake a cabinet apart. do all the things you wish the factory did plus a few more. the end results will sound spectacular 

Crossover is an ALK design. Its like his AP12-500 but with a 800hz crossover point. The Faital Horn recommends a 800hz crossover point even though the driver can go to 400hz with ease. 

Cabinet is cabinet grade ply... nothing really special, lots of glue and bracing. Dave of fastlane cut the baffles for me. They are MDF but have a 3/4" ply brace that glues in to support the woofer. As a result the whole front baffle is flat. 

Ill get more pics soon. The cabs are in finishing currently.  

• 4 weeks later...

Heres my progress.

Had finishing nearly done, but had to weight for touchups. 

I think I spent as much on fasteners as wood. 

This one was built for the family and god a lot of love and extra details... painting most of the inside and extra bracing. 

We went with a med blue as its the family speaker... very unlikely Ill ever find someone who wants in blue and as such its safe form sale.

Horns woofers are in. 

Horns are nuts, washers and bolts. 

Woofers are thread-certs that were glued into place.

Woofers are 1/4-20

Dave added a backing for the woofer for rigidity. The mounting flange is 1-1/4" a result and the from is recessed.

All in all Im really liking... the size and color makes me feel like its a JBL rather than a cornscala.

Tomorrow will be installing crossover, buttoning it up and tuning. 

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

• Like 7