shrinking cornwall

justinsweber

The eliptrac is the clear winner. I love the HF140 but hate that its 1.4". There are so many good 2" drivers.

The eliptrac provides access to them and sounds great... no ringing ect.

The Faital is a tour de force... esp when paired with the HF140.

Im winning about my lost .6" but you get the idea. If offered a Faital horn and driver combo... I wouldnt pass it up but to make it look right you need a CNC or be a better wood worker than I.

The Eliptrac is a rectangle and easy to cut.

From a sonic stand point I give the Eliptrac a solid 94 out of 100. If I didn't have to install it... 97/100.

The Faital is a 87/100... if not having to install. 93/100... Better than any other stock horn Ive heard... Big JBLs included. 

• Like 1

So, she is all buttoned up and voiced.

Ill need to swap out one cable inside on the HF but other than that, she is good to go.

A few take aways... man did I ever go over the top on fasteners... No crews... all bolts... not cheap but works. The back panel maybe have. tad too many.

This is the 1st time crossing so high @ 800hz. its a 2nd order AP12-800. The bass is unreal... pounds even more than more other efforts and in a smaller package too. Think sub is being used but no sub.

The HF is a tad hot. I have it set at -11db. Trying -10db was way too hot and -12bd seem vailed and the horn behind the LF. 

Now at -11db, its hot, but with the use of tone controls to pull the treble down Im set. 

In a lot of ways, Id say the voicing is more familiar to a JBL to the modified klipsch we've all known.

I know I could have crossed lower given what the driver could do but the horn seems to prefer an 800hz crossover point. I wish I could A/B then and hear. 

Getting everting buttoned up and wired in place, Im not sure Id mess with testing as everyone is pinned down so well. 

I put the blue speakers in the corners to replace my stock sized rosewood cornscalas. The wife is happy with the color, size and sound, so I have a winner. 

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

• Like 1

I tried mini DSP many moons ago with active subs... turning on a linear power supply for the DSPs, then the subs... way too much effort and constantly fiddling. 

Passives are not perfect but once set they are done. 

Room correction is a similar trap. Fantastic possibilities, but there is always the desire to mess with it. 

Additionally, I find that DSPs, and room correction can suck the life form the music. I can accept less perfect sound, but not lifeless sound. 

That said, I realize its a choice for others.

• Like 1

It is surprising how many variations there are to get to the end goal of quality sound. What about time alignment and how valid do you think it is and how would you do this with a one plane motorboard and differing driver depths? Or with say a folded horn compared to a tweeter in the same cabinet with the tweeter to the front and the woofer towards the back + additional sound wave travel distance?

Time allignment is generally handled with steep crossover slopes. I am only using a 12db so I can't test to that here. 

One of my fav sounds was a AP12-500, ES5800 combo. Full bass and great imaging. What I find so curious about this pair is just how deep and present the bass is. The 15C really is a wonder. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had a bit of an epiphany today. 

I was still tuning the speakers... the HF was killing me still. 

I then touched the cab and realized that the 2 back braces were recessed 1/16".

I had designed this, such that they would get 1/16" cork.

I went and cut multiple strips 2" wide and glued them into place.

I cut the holes for the bolt out and bolted everything in. 

I also included 1" black oxide washers to all 12 1/4-20 bolts.

The Squawker is set for 15, -1=14db padding.

The sound is fantastic... not fiddling... its done.

God does tuning and the little details matter. 

• Like 1