RF-7II, R28F, RF82-II

dross

New here, thought I'd share my thoughts on my new equipment.

So, I bought the R28F for stereo usage along with a Denon AVR720? (75w/channel 8 ohms)

Decided to add two 12" subs and a center channel turning it into a HT system.

While purchasing the subs, I saw the RF82-II on sale for $295, bought two thinking they would be good surround speakers.

Did some comparisons of the R28-F vs the RF82-II. I thought the upper frequencies were too bright on the RF82's. Put the grill on, sounded better, but not as good as my R28f's without the grill.

Found that they were way overkill for surrounds and returned them to Best Buy. Got the R15m's for surrounds now.

Now, the RF7-II's were put on sale since the 3's are out.

Just got them hooked up and listened to some heavy metal CDs...wow!!! No sub needed for these babies!

So, now the RF7's are for music, the rest are for movies.

I'm considering a dedicated amp and pre-amp for the RF7's. Would like enough power to really wake them up, any recommendations?

Currently considering Acurus A150

Thanks,

Dan

Edited by dross

Well, I'm not any sort of audiophile, just like loud music that sounds good.

To me, the R28s sound better.

I should mention that I like my music REALLY LOUD, 110db and up pleases me.

If it's any consolation, the RF7s sound much better than the R28s

Edited by dross

dross(Dan),

Welcome to the forum.

3 hours ago, dross said:

So, now the RF7's are for music, the rest are for movies.

I'm considering a dedicated amp and pre-amp for the RF7's. Would like enough power to really wake them up, any recommendations?

Currently considering Acurus A150

The A150 will be plenty for the RF-7IIs.

Let me suggest the matching preamp.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis8ege7-acurus-rl11-stereo-preamplifier-w-remote-11763-solid-state

Acurus

Bill

4 hours ago, dross said:

I have read that the Acurus adds some brightness to the top end that the KLipsch's already have.

Any comment on that?

I don't want to add to what is already too bright.

I have been using Acurus amps with Klipsch for about the last 9 years and have thoroughly enjoyed the combination.  My experience is that Acurus is dead on neutral, not bright, not warm.  I will say that 2nd generation(A100, A100X3, A125X5, A200, A200X3, 200FIVE) Acurus is a bit less "revealing" than 1st generation(100X3, A150, A250, 200X3).

Bill

2 hours ago, byronkarson said:

I would use an Amp that produces at least 250 watts at 8 ohms. Those Rf7iis love it.

While I do agree that the RF-7II's do like high power, 250w/ch is definitely not a must.  At Youthman's house we drove the RF-7III's with my Yamaha A-S1000 integrated with only "90w/ch" and they were spectacular.  Plenty of thump and detail for most but not as much as what the Acurus A200 provided with it's 200w/ch.

Bill

I'd like to point out in that case that the OP's amp is not 75 WPC All channels driven.  

90 watts, as the A-S1000 puts out to both channels driven, will an extremely large increase over what he currently has.  The Denon S730 likely runs under 40 watts when all channels are functioning.

8 hours ago, byronkarson said:

I just think if the speakers RMS is 250 Watts then give it to em. Clipping them is expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get that but we had the RF-7III's rocking pretty darn loud with the Yamaha with no sign of strain, thinness, or distortion.  As mentioned, the Acurus A200 did have a bit more control and punch with the woofers but it may have been more because of design elements than wattage.  I had an Acurus A100(100w/ch) and A100X3 that also performed similarly in the bass department.

Bill

8 hours ago, willland said:

While I do agree that the RF-7II's do like high power, 250w/ch is definitely not a must.  At Youthman's house we drove the RF-7III's with my Yamaha A-S1000 integrated with only "90w/ch" and they were spectacular.  Plenty of thump and detail for most but not as much as what the Acurus A200 provided with it's 200w/ch.

Bill

My RF7||| sound spectaculair with a 2 X 80W Synthesis Roma 510AC tube amp. I tried them on Wyred4Sound mono blocks which handle over a 1000 Watts and the tube amp won by a large margin. So lots of power is not the ticket to big sound...

18 hours ago, The History Kid said:

I'd like to point out in that case that the OP's amp is not 75 WPC All channels driven.  

90 watts, as the A-S1000 puts out to both channels driven, will an extremely large increase over what he currently has.  The Denon S730 likely runs under 40 watts when all channels are functioning.

My amp is rated at 75 per with 2 channels driven, which is what I am using when the RF-7's are in use. No other channels active.

I find that it does not have the punch that I'd like without clipping.

The difference between 75 and 90 is very little in SPL.

Edited by dross

I do appreciate the advice you guys are giving me here. Sorry for not saying so earlier.

Willand, are you saying that the A-150 is somewhat brighter than the 2nd generation?

Anyone here using the 150 with the RF-7II's?

Edited by dross

4 minutes ago, dross said:

My amp is rated at 75 per with 2 channels driven, which is what I am using when the RF-7's are in use. No other channels active.

I find that it does not have the punch that I'd like without clipping.

The difference between 75 and 90 is very little in SPL.

I'm still skeptical if it puts that out. There's no meat on that power supply at all.  75 to 90 isn't a big difference, but neither really is 75 to 150.

1 hour ago, The History Kid said:

I'm still skeptical if it puts that out. There's no meat on that power supply at all.  75 to 90 isn't a big difference, but neither really is 75 to 150.

Michael,

You must remember, not all watts are created equal.

Bill

1 hour ago, dross said:

Willand, are you saying that the A-150 is somewhat brighter than the 2nd generation?

I have owned most of the Acurus amps that I mentioned in my earlier post.  IMO, none were stridently bright or fatiguing with any of my Klipsch speakers.  With that said, some of the 2nd generation Acurus were designed to handle lower impedance speakers a little easier which could explain a somewhat tonal variation.

Bill

I am new to all of this.

All I've ever had in the past were either cheap bookshelf systems or hand-me-downs of questionable quality.

I've never heard a tube amp.

It seems by what some of you are saying that a tube amp with low power is likely better than an integrated amp with higher power, is this true?

My goal is to make these RF7-ii's blow me away with the bass, kicking me really hard, clear midrange, and a high end that doesn't make my ears tired.

I don't want to get an amp and then wish afterwards that I had more power.

I've turned up my Denon AVR to 0db with these speakers. They were fairly loud, but the bass kick wasn't there. I've tried moving them around to try to help the bass and think I'm at least real close to the best positioning.

12 minutes ago, dross said:

It seems by what some of you are saying that a tube amp with low power is likely better than an integrated amp with higher power, is this true?

Not necessarily.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Bill