A good buy or not Klipsch Icon set

zedisdead

A friend has a 1 year old set of klipsch Icon speakers, they are, KF28, KC25, and KB15 all for 500$. Also what would be recommended to power them. I am planning on getting them this weekend.

I already got a 2.2 system with two Dayton sub-1200 and Dayton T652, which I am seriously disappointed with the Dayton towers but the subs are phenomenal for the price.

Edited by zedisdead

A friend has a 1 year old set of klipsch Icon speakers, they are, KF28, KC25, and KB15 all for 500$. Also what would be recommended to power them. I am planning on getting them this weekend.

I already got a 2.2 system with two Dayton sub-1200 and Dayton T652, which I am seriously disappointed with the Dayton towers but the subs are phenomenal for the price.
I think that's a great deal, make sure to thank your buddy. He's doing you a solid.
As for driving them there are too many options to recommend just one. A Marantz 6001 would do nicely, so would a Pioneer LXSC501 or Yamaha 2030.
If budget is an issue check out accessories 4 less. They resell factory refurbished units for a fraction of what they cost new. I've been using then for quite some time.
Best of luck!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I decided to go ahead and pick them up today, swung by bestbuy to get a receiver. Which was a Sony strdh550 that gets uncomfortably hot at max volume, I could smell it hot, I can only imagine how hot it would get driving 6 ohm speakers. I am extremely pleased with these speakers, I for see me saving up for some of the high tier klipsch later on down the road now. I don't have speaker stands ATM so I got a speaker stack going  on in 3.2 configuration, with the KF28 on top of each sub and the KB on top of each tower. It stands a little over six foot.

Edited by zedisdead

2 hours ago, zedisdead said:

I decided to go ahead and pick them up today, swung by bestbuy to get a receiver. Which was a Sony strdh550 that gets uncomfortably hot at max volume, I could smell it hot, I can only imagine how hot it would get driving 6 ohm speakers. 

The Sony is/will struggle with those speakers.  Sony gear is the entry level to the entry level - unless you see "ES" in the model numbers.  You might consider returning that Sony and getting a system with a better power supply.  Look at offerings from Marantz, Onkyo's NR line, or Denon's X series.  Yamaha Aventage models should serve you nicely as well.

27 minutes ago, rebuy said:

MAX VOLUME ??? 

How can you run at MAX ?

That's a great way to destroy your speakers and your Sony.

You either have something set up wrong OR you're deaf. 

Sincerely...

I guess I should of got a more competent receiver with higher RMS wattage then? It only does 90w RMS per channel with 8 Ohm speakers.
I was checking each speaker to make sure I didn't hear distortion, I didn't detect any on good recordings, but the receiver didn't seem like it liked it.

My hearing is not as great as most people my age. I grew up shooting ALOT of guns and most of the time I didn't wear hearing protection now I do and wish I did back then.
I got it setup via optical with Surround + 7Db, Center +6Db, Mains +4, Subwoofers +5 Db with 60% gain on the plate amps, Treble +8Db Bass +6Db.

3 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

The Sony is/will struggle with those speakers.  Sony gear is the entry level to the entry level - unless you see "ES" in the model numbers.  You might consider returning that Sony and getting a system with a better power supply.  Look at offerings from Marantz, Onkyo's NR line, or Denon's X series.  Yamaha Aventage models should serve you nicely as well.

I got a APA 102 60w RMS Dayton amp do you think I could Bi amp using the pre amp outs on the Sony receiver? The Sony pushes everything else just fine but the main seem to be hungry for more.

Just now, zedisdead said:

I guess I should of got a more competent receiver with higher RMS wattage then? It only does 90w RMS per channel with 8 Ohm speakers.
I was checking each speaker to make sure I didn't hear distortion, I didn't detect any on good recordings, but the receiver didn't seem like it liked it.

My hearing is not as great as most people my age. I grew up shooting ALOT of guns and most of the time I didn't wear hearing protection now I do and wish I did back then.
I got it setup via optical with Surround + 7Db, Center +6Db, Mains +4, Subwoofers +5 Db with 60% gain on the plate amps, Treble +8Db Bass +6Db.

I got a APA 102 60w RMS Dayton amp do you think I could Bi amp using the pre amp outs on the Sony receiver? The Sony pushes everything else just fine but the main seem to be hungry for more.

The Sony probably does around 30 W all channels driven, not the 90 it says.  However, watts are not the same from AVR to AVR.  Power supplies are very telling of the quality of power you are getting.  I'd suggest finding an amp that puts out a good 60 WPC all channels driven.  That should drive everything just fine.

As for bi-"amping" - It's not going to prevent the Sony from struggling, nor will it reduce the load placed on it.  You aren't going to be gaining anything there.

2 hours ago, zedisdead said:

I decided to go ahead and pick them up today, swung by bestbuy to get a receiver. Which was a Sony strdh550 that gets uncomfortably hot at max volume, I could smell it hot, I can only imagine how hot it would get driving 6 ohm speakers. I am extremely pleased with these speakers, I for see me saving up for some of the high tier klipsch later on down the road now. I don't have speaker stands ATM so I got a speaker stack going  on in 3.2 configuration, with the KF28 on top of each sub and the KB on top of each tower. It stands a little over six foot.

When you can smell your equipment getting Hot--

You're probably burning it up.

My Denon is only 80 watts and it's Fairly Loud at 55 or 60.

You should never smell your equipment playing.

9 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

The Sony probably does around 30 W all channels driven, not the 90 it says.  However, watts are not the same from AVR to AVR.  Power supplies are very telling of the quality of power you are getting.  I'd suggest finding an amp that puts out a good 60 WPC all channels driven.  That should drive everything just fine.

As for bi-"amping" - It's not going to prevent the Sony from struggling, nor will it reduce the load placed on it.  You aren't going to be gaining anything there.

I think I will live with the receiver for now and save up for a quality one real soon, I tend to like to accumulate stuff and rarely ever return something unless it is defective beyond the point to where I cant repair it myself. It did seem to be push the KB15 near their limit and they are rated for 85w RMS. I find it bullshit how most audio equipment blatantly lies about their wattage.

8 minutes ago, rebuy said:

When you can smell your equipment getting Hot--

You're probably burning it up.

My Denon is only 80 watts and it's Fairly Loud at 55 or 60.

You should never smell your equipment playing.

I turned it down when I smelled it. I was just testing out the system to see how loud I could get it, it gets loud for sure but not as loud as I wanted it to.

Edited by zedisdead

3 minutes ago, zedisdead said:

I think I will live with the receiver for now and save up for a quality one real soon, I tend to like to accumulate stuff and rarely ever return something unless it is defective beyond the point to where I cant repair it myself. It did seem to be push the KB15 near there limit and they are rated for 85w RMS. I find it bullshit how most audio equipment blatantly lies about their wattage.

How are you determining they're near their limit?  Just noticing motion doesn't mean they're near their limit sonically, it could (and probably does) mean that the speaker is burning up from distortion.

If it's not as loud as you want it, I'm not sure why you wouldn't return it for a product that does what you want.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdtr403/integra-dtr-40.3-7.2-ch-x-110-watts-thx-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

$225 could get you a unit that does so much more with a tremendously better power supply.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, zedisdead said:

I think I will live with the receiver for now and save up for a quality one real soon, I tend to like to accumulate stuff and rarely ever return something unless it is defective beyond the point to where I cant repair it myself. It did seem to be push the KB15 near their limit and they are rated for 85w RMS. I find it bullshit how most audio equipment blatantly lies about their wattage.

I turned it down when I smelled it. I was just testing out the system to see how loud I could get it, it gets loud for sure but not as loud as I wanted it to.

You went too cheap on the AVR--it happens.

Go to Accessories4less and buy a refurbished Denon for about 200 to 250.

That will help your issues.

In the meantime --watch that volume knob before you burn up your speakers.

5 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

How are you determining they're near their limit?  Just noticing motion doesn't mean they're near their limit sonically, it could (and probably does) mean that the speaker is burning up from distortion.

If it's not as loud as you want it, I'm not sure why you wouldn't return it for a product that does what you want.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdtr403/integra-dtr-40.3-7.2-ch-x-110-watts-thx-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

$225 could get you a unit that does so much more with a tremendously better power supply.

How long do these sales last on average on that site? I'm going to keep it and set something up in my garage when I get a new receiver.

4 minutes ago, rebuy said:

You went too cheap on the AVR--it happens.

Go to Accessories4less and buy a refurbished Denon for about 200 to 250.

That will help your issues.

In the meantime --watch that volume knob before you burn up your speakers.

Yeah I need to, I don't want to destroy these things because I quite like the way they sound, even though finding out that these things were the bottom of the line klipsch, they still sound great and gives me inspiration to find out what all klipsch has to offer when my wallet allows it.

3 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

Those are on clearance (the Integra) so when they're gone, they're gone.  They'd pound that Sony into the ground many times over.

I hope they are still available next week they look great but there is also have onkyos on that site with the similar specs and price. is everything on that site clearance?

2 minutes ago, zedisdead said:

I hope they are still available next week they look great but there is also have onkyos on that site with the similar specs and price. is everything on that site clearance?

Integra is to Onkyo what Marantz is to Denon.  Though, from experience, Integra's are built better than their Onkyo counterparts.

A4L is an outlet store, so they have clearance items and refurbished items with warranties from the manufacturer.