TAD 4002

babadono

Here is a measured impedance phase and magnitude curve for the TD-4002 on a K-402 horn:

5a970d10e5c90_TADTD-4002onK-402impedance-phase.thumb.GIF.b2c01235a202496d59ef4bcbe40abe4d.GIF

Here is a corrected frequency response on a K-402:

5a9710d5e9b10_JubileeTAD4002FreqResponsePhase.thumb.png.db747110f4f81c8d4b3580aa7f1c9eb8.png

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You could take it apart and look at the diaphragm itself, looking for any identifying marks. 

Other than that, you're probably going to need to take a frequency sweep or impedance sweep. 

Chris

Basically, you just need to do some quick research to see what a TAD beryllium diaphragm and the alternative aluminum (usually Radian) looks like.  You can find these pics all over the place.  Then just take the cover of the driver off and peak inside.  They look completely different and there will be no mistake.

Ok so beryllium is a dark smokey gray color and aluminum is well ....aluminum color?

Thanks mark1101

I remember working with hybrid integrated circuits back in the day at Hughes Aircraft that were built on beryllium substrates and that stuff was white as freshly fallen snow.

I only had the cover off of one of mine once back when i got them from TrueHeartSound on e bay. I should have taken pictures. Now that I'm finally going to put them in something I guess I'll take another peek. What I do remember is the cheesey soldering from the binding posts to the diaphragm that made me think they have been worked on/replaced. Could TAD have done such a ugly job on a driver they ask $3k for? Not looking for an answer to that question, just sayin'.

On 3/14/2018 at 4:26 PM, mark1101 said:

but I am guessing that is a protective screen for whatever diaphragm you use

Though I've never removed mine but I once saw (on Ebay) an OEM replacement.....  looks to me like the honeycomb cover is actually part of the diaphragm assembly.

(I did once take the front off to see the diaphragm, I just didn't remove the diaphragm assembly itself)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Just remember to be careful with beryllium.  Hopefully no issues with dust or anything once molded into a diaphragm. .

Yes and I wondered if this is why the perforated metal cover. Some time back I did a job for UAH in Huntsville Al. A past project came up and the guy was talking about a machining job involving Beryllium. The job paid extra for the known hazards and apparently the warning to the wise went unheeded. ALL the machinists later died of cancer and Beryllium is a known severe carcinogen. There will never be any Beryllium diaphragms in this household.