KM 4 ( KG 3.5 ) capacitor values

JWATS

All,

I contacted Bob Crites about rebuilding my crossovers, I have the KM 4 model, which I thought was completely identical to the KG 3.5, but sold only through the Military.

Bob responded and said he heard the capacitor values might be different:

For the crossover, according to an old email I have from a customer, he found the crossover to actually have different values of at least one of the capacitors than the KG3.5 schematic shows.  So, just don’t know if his was a fluke or if the KM-4 actually has a different crossover.  In any case, I think you would have to read the capacitor values to get the right stuff sent to replace them.

Does anybody know? Or have experience with the improvement I can expect by doing this?

Thanks in advance

John

Bob is of course correct.  The best thing to do is read the values off the caps on the boards you currently have and replace with the same value.  If the caps are 20 to 25 years old you'll notice better clarity in the mids and highs.  It should be a noticeable improvement.

Thanks so much, I have a question about getting access to the crossover..it looks like an odd screw head, is there a tip meant to be used? I've attached a picture

Does not seem to fit a regular Philips head

Thanks and sorry to be a nuisance, this is all new to me

DSC00786_edited-1.jpg

Wondered if this head would work..seems like it fits

Phillips/squareEdit

Screw Head - Quadrex.svg

The Phillips/square screw drive, also known as the Quadrex or Pozisquare screw drive, is a combination of the Phillips and Robertson screw drives. While a standard Phillips or Robertson tool can be used, there is also a dedicated tool for it that increases the surface area between the tool and the fastener so it can handle more torque.[46]

DSC00786_edited-1.jpg

Looks too eaten up, IMO it is just striped out as mentioned above. All you will need is to get an easy out at the hardware store of your choice. The screws themselves are not anything special and are nothing more than a conventional wood screw. 

unless klipsch used a differet screw in the KM speakers, that is definitely a stripped out phillips screw.  the spreaker wire/x-over & drivers use phillips screws in every klipsch speaker i have seen from heritage to KG to reference.  & that is a pretty bad stripped out head, these screws are just short wood screws into MDF or plywood, cant imagine how they would get that stripped out.

before buying some specialty screwdriver/ bit i would suggest trying some different size phillips to see if they will fit better, or what ive done on lots of stripped screws is to get a flat blade screwdriver that will grab 2 of the legs & that should be enough to carefully remove them, they should not be that tight. then go to your local hardwre store & get some new screws to put it all back together.

• Like 1

If you have one, you could take a Dremel tool with a metal cutting blade and cut it so a flat head screwdriver could take it out.  I've done that plenty of times through the years.  And as mentioned, try a different Phillips screwdriver head.  Not sure if you're trying that with a #1 or #2 tip but that could make a difference.  But again, if you're close to a hardware store, just see if they have some square bits; they aren't that expensive.  Plus, you can buy new Phillips screws while you're there since you're going to replace them anyway.  It's not a wasted trip killing two birds with one stone.