RP-280 upgrade to RF-7ii or iii

cgolf70

This might have been discussed and I just didn't find the old threads.  I have a pair of 280s that I think sound great.  I'm wondering about upgrading to RF-7ii or iii but for the extra price, what would I really get.  Yes, I know more bass, crisper and clearer mids and highs but how much more vs. price.  The 280s are very good speakers IMO...

Right now Klipsch has the RF7ll for $1000 each, some internet places even lower. The RF7llls are almost twice that at msrp. The RP280s are a very good speaker, but not quite in the same league as the RF7ll/lll. It just depends on how much of a price you put on that difference.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deang said:

Find a good deal somewhere on the III's after the hype dies down a little.

I just got the  twos!!

Not even broken in yet.

I hear you modify crossovers that can clean up the top end on the speakers, what would that cost me?

Edited by dross

• Moderators

I have not heard the Reference Premiere Series yet.  Klipsch is sending me a pair of RP-280F sometime in March to review so I'll be able to provide some insight then.  My guess, much bigger sound due to the larger tweeter, larger horn, larger cabinet and larger drivers. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, dross said:

I hear you modify crossovers that can clean up the top end on the speakers, what would that cost me?

Yes, you can contact @Deang.  He's the man that can hook you up if you are looking to modifying your networks.

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Deang said:

No, he just got a pair of RF-7ii’s. He wants his networks uograded - I thought yours were for sale. If not, I’ll PM him with details. 

That's the way I read it.  That's why I referred him to you.  A guy contacted me last week and bought my networks since he was looking to smooth out the top end on his RF-7 II.

6 hours ago, dross said:

I just got the  twos!!  Not even broken in yet. I hear you modify crossovers that can clean up the top end on the speakers, what would that cost me?

It's unbelievable how ahead of the curve @Youthmanis!  Here is the RF-7 II w/ DeanG crossover!  Can you get a Youtube vid more tailored to your needs?  :lol:

Note:  No matter what the RF-7 III vid keeps popping up.  The direct link to the RF-7 ii (with DeanG crossovers) Living Room 2ch setup will not post correctly.

7 hours ago, cgolf70 said:

This might have been discussed and I just didn't find the old threads.  I have a pair of 280s that I think sound great.  I'm wondering about upgrading to RF-7ii or iii but for the extra price, what would I really get.  Yes, I know more bass, crisper and clearer mids and highs but how much more vs. price.  The 280s are very good speakers IMO...

Check out this thread as well: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/168383-if-rf7-is-100-what-is-rf82ii-rp280f/&

I have both the 280’s and RF-7II’s. The 7’s are a significant upgrade. The 280’s are impressive for their price and hold their own but the 7’s walk all over them in regards to craftmanship, dynamics, wider soundstage/prescence and detail. They are totally a class above. Think Mercedes E-class vs S-class.

The current price of the II’s are a bargain which is why I chose them over the III’s. I do not regreet my decision, do not long for the “upgrade” in sound of the newer version since my II’s sound great as is, and actually prefer the looks of the cherry II’s over the III’s. I would get the II’s and use the cost savings for some quality amplification. Marantz is a perfect match (warm and detailed).

Michael, after comparing them all, and then the modified RF-7ii's to the RF-7iii's, you said to me: "The good thing is if someone wanted to save some money, they could buy your RF-7 II Crossovers and have a very similar sound as the RF-7 III."

Which is what the video clearly demonstrated (using a very good set of headphones).

Edited by Deang
Because the screenshots were hard to read