RP-280 upgrade to RF-7ii or iii

cgolf70

• Moderators

To add some context to the above screenshot...where I said "we all heard the same thing" I was referring to the fact that the modded RF-7 II are quite a bit less bright than the stock RF-7 II which does put the top end closer in sound to the RF-7 III than to the RF-7 II.    @WakeJunkie has stock RF-7 II and has heard the Deang RF-7 II many, many times in my home.  He always felt, and even shared with @Deang over the phone during a conversation we all had that the Deang mod removed the very thing he loved about the RF-7 II which was the detailed top end, without being harsh like the original RF-7 are known to be. 

A few weeks ago, I hosted an audio get together with 5 other guys, we all agreed the RF-7 III was smoother and much more refined on the top end than the stock RF-7 II.  The Deang modded crossover reduced the top end of my RF-7 II quite a bit which did make it sound less bright on the top end just as the RF-7 III is less bright than the sound of the stock RF-7 II.  After a few A/B/C/D between RF-7, RF-7 II, RF-7 II with Deang and RF-7 III, everyone seemed to be more interested in comparing between RF-7 II with stock crossovers and RF-7 III as we were all trying to narrow down which speaker we liked the best.  We all agreed the RF-7 III had a more balanced sound from top to bottom than the other three speakers and sounds fantastic.

I have said it many times that my ears have always preferred a brighter sound.  I chose to have Dean modify the crossovers because he offered to do them for free if I would document the process of removing them.  I shipped my crossovers to dean and a month later, when I received the crossovers back, I noticed the Deang crossover had removed a lot of the top end that my ears actually preferred but kept them because I'm probably 90% Home Theater and 10% Music and they still sounded good, they just weren't as bright as I liked.  I never sit down on my couch to listen to music, I'm typically streaming it through my phone while I'm working in my home office.  I just ended up turning up the treble on my receiver to bring back some of the highs that were reduced by the mod. 

When we were doing the A/B/C/D comparison during the audio get together,  we listened to the RF-7 first and Mike Carter immediately asked what my settings were on the treble when we listened to the original RF-7.  He has them in his own home and noticed immediately something didn't sound right.  I had increased the treble from 12:00 to 3:00.  The increased treble that I had added to the modded RF-7 II made the original RF-7 unnaturally bright so we returned the treble to flat at 12:00 for the rest of the day.

I did end up selling the Deang crossovers last week to a gentleman that said at times, his RF-7 II could be a bit fatiguing and wanted to buy mine to see if they would reduce the top end a bit.  To someone that feels the RF-7 II are too bright, modifying the crossover is an option that would certainly reduce the top end. 

Not getting "salty", I was just tired and a little irritated. Okay ... I was salty. :-)

I cleaned up my last post because the screenshots looked terrible. I was using my phone and working on networks at the same time - probably not the best of ideas.

I wasn't attacking you or trying to be rude, I just didn't understand why you removed the video.

Some had the impression that I emasculated the highs of the RF-7ii, and the video cleared up that misconception - since the modified RF-7ii's sounded more like the RF-7iii's than the factory RF-7ii's did.

Anyway, you typed out a rather long response, but never answered my question.

It appears that they're all close enough that personal preference to speaker voicing should be the determining factor.  Everyone likes to hear something slightly different than someone else.  It's the tube SS thing but with speakers.

• Moderators
On 3/2/2018 at 8:47 AM, CECAA850 said:

It appears that they're all close enough that personal preference to speaker voicing should be the determining factor.  Everyone likes to hear something slightly different than someone else.  It's the tube SS thing but with speakers.

Almost, but not quite.

Carl it is more akin to your world.  A customer needs a needs a new ___

..or they heard that they can get X.with an aftermarket this or that.

It's money. .Edelbrock, Thrust, and on and on.  Sometimes it is a.better mousetrap, sometimes it is snake oil.

How many aftermarket products have you seen that claim something that is spot on? How many times total b.s.?

PTFE, Slick 50, etc., etc.

Andy Granatelli comes mind.

•  

I recently purchased Michael's Deang mod crossovers.   I'll post my thoughts once I get more time with them.  After installing them both today I am pleased with my initial impressions.  Thanks again Michael for the video's and the sale of the deang crossovers.

Deang, any idea how many sets of crossovers you have modified for the rf7ii?  I'm assuming it is many more for the original RF7's?  Didn't know what your volume on them are and if you tracked them for each kind of speaker you mod?

Just two sets.  I had quite a few that showed interest, but after seeing this thread on removal, they just didn’t want to mess with it.

I still do a pair of original 7’s about once a month. There was a time when I was doing three sets a week! I’m kind of glad that craziness is over - I prefer a slower pace.

Enjoy!

12 hours ago, Deang said:

Just two sets.  I had quite a few that showed interest, but after seeing this thread on removal, they just didn’t want to mess with it.

I still do a pair of original 7’s about once a month. There was a time when I was doing three sets a week! I’m kind of glad that craziness is over - I prefer a slower pace.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the info Dean.  I found with youthmans  step by step thread on the removal it was actually a pretty easy swap if your not in a hurry. I took my time and each one took about 30-45 minutes.  I had time and was taking a good look at the inside of a 7ii and enjoying the process.

I'll get some more listening in this week, but I was able to get in about 3 hours yesterday, and found that shrill at the top end leveled out, especially at higher volumes.  I swapped my left xo out and left the stock in the right for a couple days.  Although I did not side by side A/B them, after a couple listening sessions this week I found my right ear fatigued and my left ear was not.  I sit in a 18' equal triangle with MLP, and mains.  This was my ultimate goal in purchasing the Deang.  So I swapped out the other one yesterday.  I don't know if it's the high school kid inside me, or just how clean and clear the 7ii's are that beg you to push them, but I can't have a listening session without cranking them up for a portion of it.

On 6/3/2018 at 2:30 AM, Deang said:

Enjoy!

This was an interesting read. I always wanted to hear your mod. But i understand why i was never able to find a pair in Europe if you only did two.

Have you looked at the insides og the Rf7 lll if i may ask?

• 2 years later...
On 11/26/2020 at 1:03 PM, Music monster said:

Hi I’m new to this forum and was considering a x over upgrade from deang. How does one come to purchase a pair of these x overs? Thanks 

Looking for a RF7 MK II X-Over upgrate ? Than get in touch with Deang as follows . Send him a PM via the personal messanger, therefore you must go on his profile and press the message buttom. That´s it . Some Deang X-over pics are shown here on page 14, scroll down....