HERESY REDO WITH CARPATHIAN ELM BURL VENEER

Next project in the chute is a walnut cabinet Heresy redo.  Cabinets were nicked up and water spots so doing new veneer.  Pics show where I cut off the front edges of the sides, top and bottom so the motorboard is flat.  Sanded paint offer and installed neo magnets using epoxy.  I will cover the front with CEB and then attach new front edges and veneer the tops and sides to overlap the front edges.  New 1/4" masonite grill frames with magnets epoxied in.  Will post as I proceed.   Here's a pic of the CEB with some alcohol spritzed on it. 

IMG_2654.JPG

IMG_2638.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks PZ.

Update.  Everything veneer but still need to flush trim the front trim.  Will do that tonight and start applying wipe on poly.  This type veneer has some voids by nature so can't decide if I should fill them in or leave it natural.  Right now I'm thinking natural.

Any opinions????

Pics show finish nails held in place by the hidden neo magnets.

IMG_2733.JPG

IMG_2688.JPG

9 hours ago, longdrive03 said:

This type veneer has some voids by nature so can't decide if I should fill them in or leave it natural.  Right now I'm thinking natural.

Any opinions????

I have an antique burl table that appears to have some filler. The putty is probably better than a recess that traps dust.

IMG_1341.JPG.852e7e05e3bc930ca06c496869d4b28d.JPG

Schu, thanks for the compliment.  I take all the credit for making the wood look like that!!

It runs about $14-$15 a square foot!  Ain't cheap for sure.  walnut and cherry run $4-$5 SF.

Update.  Got two coats of poly on last night.  This veneer really absorbs the poly.  I have decided to fill the gaps/cracks which God put in this veneer.  No offense God!!!!

Attached two pics.

IMG_2745.JPG

IMG_2746.JPG

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, longdrive03 said:

Yes I plan on selling these when they’re finished. 

Considering your costs and labor, do you expect to make a profit when they sell?

That's a sincere question and not a dig, as most used Heresy's sell in the $400-$500 range and I can't imagine selling your re-veneered Heresy's for that little.

I plan on asking $750 plus actual shipping or free pickup or Klipsch express. I will probably recap the crossovers with Dayton or Sonicap caps unless someone might want to change to really expensive caps. I plan on using brown cane grill material on new grill frame  like I used on my 1” Baltic birch ply LaScala build that is posted here You don’t see many Heresys in CEB. I may add front to back braces but some purists might not approve. K-22E woofers , K-55 miss, K-77 teeeters and type E crossovers. Also plan to build slanted risers.  Comes with heresy badges

Beautiful work. I would someday love to learn the techniques required to do a clean professional job like you've done. You've got to be confident in your skills to attempt using veneer of this caliber. 

Thanks for sharing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks MJ.  Appreciate the compliment.  Here is a link to the mojotone website.  I really like this material.  Third time I've used it on projects.  Not cheap though.  I think the guy may require buying 3 yards??  Not sure a guy I build speakers for bought directly from him and gave me what was left.