HERESY REDO WITH CARPATHIAN ELM BURL VENEER

Great work! I'm curious about your process. Did you veneer the entire motor board before putting the new front edges on? I'm trying to figure out why you cut the edges off. I figured the corners were real banged up, or you could veneer the entire motor board before replacing the edges to avoid trying to cut a piece to perfectly fit the opening. If I'm guessing the order of veneering it would be, motor board 1st, replace edges, veneer top, sides and inside new edges, then faces of new edges. Also how do you trim your overhangs? I have a razor blade edge tool, but it can sometimes give funky cuts with burls and cutting along certain grains. I've had the best luck with overhanging about 1/16" then sanding flush. I'm getting ready for another veneering project, and I'm always looking to learn new methods. Your work is inspiring!

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Capo, here is the order of my madness in veneering.  I trimmed off the front 5/8" overhang flush with the  motorboard to allow the entire front of the speaker to be covered with veneer to eliminate the possibility that the veneer could pull away from the motorboard and also because I veneered the inside edges of the new 5/8" trim pieces (before gluing and nailing to the motorboard) instead of painting them black.  I wanted a full view of just  veneer if the grill frames are removed.  As you note it is also harder to veneer inside the front edges.  

So before I veneer the front I glued in the grill magnets with epoxy, then apply the veneer on motorboard, flush trim the speaker cutouts then apply the 3/4"thick trim on the front of the speakers with glue, clamping and finish nails.  I flush trim the outside edges of the new front trim flush with the top, bottom, and sides.  Then I veneer the sides and then the top which overhangs the sides and flush trim on back, front and sides.  Then I add the  veneer to the face of the front trim and flush trim inside and out using my trusty handheld Harbor Freight router with 1/4" flush trim bit.

Takes quit a while to go through these steps but it's worth it I think.  Here's a pic after I cut off and sanded the front trim.  

IMG_2641.JPG

• Like 1