Woofer snap,crackle,pop... wth?

Madman1

Hey guys,

So a couple weeks ago I was fighting with a pair of kg5.2 and the old woofer crackle thing that a thousand people have had trouble with. I reglued surround, dust cover and cone to the spider and....,nothing still there but, only when driven hard. So I chalked it up to my Sansui 7070 clipping because my st-70 plays them fine but, doesn’t push the woofers near as hard. So I promised I’d never buy another pair of the newer kgs, well guess what I lied!! Picked up a pair of kg 5.5 and what a shocker these do the exact same thing. I beefed up all the internal wiring and that didn’t solve anything, so my big question is can those old electrolytic caps cause this problem? I don’t mind ordering some and putting them in I just don’t want to waste my time and money if it’s not going to resolve the problem. Oh yea on the 5.2 I reglued the rear panel that nearly blew off while playing them, must’ve been a glue shortage in Hope Arkansas the years the kgs were built because whoever woulda thought that a tiny bead of hot glue would hold these things together, but that didn’t resolve the problem either. Frustrating!! Help please!!

thanks,

Mark

When your input source receiver/pre/amp is the problem. you'll get the krispies, snap-crackle-pops out of the speaker(s)

This is usually because of a bad/leaky transistor. In this case, as you push the gain, you have a leaky transistor gate. This is not to say that you may have a bad inline capacitor(s) affecting a already sensitive transistor. It's early AM and if I'm reading your post correctly, it's only happening when you hook up to the Sansui 7070.

If that's the case then:

1) Adjust the bias on the driver circuit board for L/R channels, + / - 10mv.   test 

2) replace caps on DCB with good Nichicons. I prefer ELNA's. - test    

3) replace transistors on DCB

4) file 13

Do not test a sick receiver/pre/amp on a good set of speakers. I was working on a Carver 895 with the krispies and it took out a K33E. Turned out to be 4 trans on main board

Fortunately, this unit has 1 driver circuit board for both channels as opposed to 2.

hope this helps~

ron

Sansui-7070-Service-Manual.pdf

Yea I can see where that could be the problem and crazy thing is the guy I bought them from had a 7070 and he said they were doing the same thing. They don’t do it off my other amp but, the tube amp doesn’t push the woofers to the excursion that the Sansui does. I have to be honest that it’s usually past 50% volume before they start to crackle too. I’ve just read tons of past posts about people having this problem with the kg_._line and have a hard time believing that everybody’s got faulty amps. So you don’t think the old xover caps could be the problem? That’s the only thing I didn’t do on the 5.2s.  

Thanks Ron.

The KG woofers are fairly weak, I've seen several first hand fail completely or exhibit the problems you describe, they really just aren't meant for massive DB drag type listening even though they sound great up to the point of failure. If you're listening at levels that are damaging your speakers you might consider getting larger speakers. Really the forte's seem to have the same problem, have seen lots of blown woofers in those over the years too from cranking them up too far for too long.

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

The KG woofers are fairly weak, I've seen several first hand fail completely or exhibit the problems you describe, they really just aren't meant for massive DB drag type listening even though they sound great up to the point of failure. If you're listening at levels that are damaging your speakers you might consider getting larger speakers. Really the forte's seem to have the same problem, have seen lots of blown woofers in those over the years too from cranking them up too far for too long.

JJ, 

I've never known that about KG woofers. My experience is from a diagnostic point of view. Usually on overdrive you'll get distortion then a pop.

Here's a pic of my 1978 Yamaha 1020CR receiver 75WPC. almost done with total restore. Sounds good with the Heritage line.

I like discreet components and that tuning capacitor is kinda cool.  

Yam1020CR.jpg

24 minutes ago, lucky5115 said:

JJ, 

I've never known that about KG woofers. My experience is from a diagnostic point of view. Usually on overdrive you'll get distortion then a pop.

My brothers KLF-30's will do that when cranked up really loud, beyond comfortable listening levels, speakers will just suddenly let out a pop. They have done this same exact thing / sound with 3 different amplifiers and two pre-amps at various times. They will do it with his current system which consists of a completely rebuild Carver TFM-45 amplifier and a serviced / updated Sunfire TGP-III Processor. Previous amps included a newer Carver A-500x and a rebuild Carver M-1.5t. 

The pop sound is the same each time and I've heard it many times through the years with other systems and with other speakers including the KG line so I just assumed it was a woofer over-extension issue instead of a stereo issue but I could be wrong. One thing I will say is I've thrown everything but the kitchen sink at my Chorus speakers, rode them hard and put them away wet many many times and have never heard a pop out of them but have blown a few tweeters over the years. 

Absolutely, even the kg4 can beat it down with no problems. I will whisper quietly and say the the lines after that  just don’t have the same build quality of the heritage and extended heritage lines. Have you seen the 22guage wire used in them? Sheesh! and i already mentioned the glue issue.