Tony T

Original hi fi was done with steel lamp cord, and sounded awesome

• Thick wire 10,12,14 is better than thin wire
  •  
  • Copper wire is better than aluminum or steel wire, all work fine
  •  
  • Oxygen free copper is better than copper
  •  
  • For longer runs or in wall the twisted pair cable in sleeves is probably better for ease of use and cross-talk
  •  
  • Belden Cable makes great wire imho, Indiana if memory is correct
  •  
  • monoporice sells their stuff, amazon has some and others.
  •  
  • If you are doing long under the floor or in the walls, look at Beldens product, there is a local supply house near you that sells it.

On 3/2/2018 at 7:57 PM, Islander said:

KnuKonceptz has good speaker cable.  I recommend their Karma Kable.

Just bought a pair to check it out :)  Was very disappointed when I got it today ... looked like aluminum wire :(  Then I found your post stating it is (oxygen free) copper wire - TIN plated. :)  Whoopie!

Thanks, Emile

On 3/4/2018 at 11:00 AM, Khornukopia said:

I bought a 500 foot roll of 12 ga. for my home theater and it was not enough, but I did not actually measure the length as I spooled it out, so maybe the label was bogus?

Where did you purchase that?

On 3/3/2018 at 4:19 PM, dmckean44 said:

Why would someone use 20 ft of speaker wire? It's going to be more like 6 or 7 ft for most people and far less if you're using mono blocks. And using 14ga wire would solve all of it. This is so bogus.

Is this like "who would ever use more than 64 kilobytes of memory"?:)

6 hours ago, The Dude said:

Where did you purchase that?

I bought the spool of 12 gauge 2 conductor OFC wire from a local electrical supply warehouse. The white and black spools in this picture are from Parts Express. If someone plans to bi-amp, I recommend 4 conductor wire to reduce the clutter.

IMG_1345.JPG.4e46902cd8e0786f3c3cbd2cb66763fb.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 4:19 PM, dmckean44 said:

Why would someone use 20 ft of speaker wire? It's going to be more like 6 or 7 ft for most people and far less if you're using mono blocks. And using 14ga wire would solve all of it. This is so bogus.

I'm using 15 feet for each front speaker, and about 50 feet for the surround speakers.  As well as the distance from the amplifiers to the speakers, the distance from the power amps to the floor, and the distance from the floor up to the terminals on the speakers, must be included.

I can only assume that your speakers are pretty close together, which may be ideal for your setup.  Other people may do it differently.  None of them are necessarily bogus.

Also, bigger speaker wire makes a difference when the music includes loud dynamic transients, which may require 10x or more watts than the continuous demands of the music.  When the speaker wire is not big enough to permit the necessary power to travel through it, the sharp frontal edges of the sounds are blunted, which lessens the "reality" of the sounds, along with the physical and emotional impact of the music.  In most cases, going up 2 sizes, like 18 AWG to 14, or 16 to 12, is a big enough difference to make the improvement in the sounds of transient peaks easily audible.