Anyone here cook - Pots and Pans discussion

tigerwoodKhorns

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

Cleaning pieces by burning them in a fire, or using a self-cleaning oven both have the potential to ruin if not outright destroy a piece.

Fire may heat the iron to the point it turns the metal flaky and an irreversible, reddish color. Pieces so-damaged will never season properly again

Glad I never tried that myself.

(One question about something else...do use a laptop or desktop computer ?)

15 minutes ago, dtel said:

Glad I never tried that myself.

(One question about something else...do use a laptop or desktop computer ?)

a tablet !   I'm done with pc's.   

bought a pc for $1600....back in 05..

lasted 3 years...and was out dated

in 1-2 months.....

I use a Amazon fire !

34 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

a tablet !   I'm done with pc's.   

bought a pc for $1600....back in 05..

lasted 3 years...and was out dated

in 1-2 months.....

I use a Amazon fire !

had a tablet for a year.  Then just out of warranty it failed.  Straight back to laptop, never again a tablet.

• Sad 1

I’ve always been pretty happy with our mid level Lagostina stainless steel pots and pans. I like being able to sear on the stove and move the entire pan into the oven to finish certain things off. We do have a Paderno nonstick pan that is used almost exclusively for eggs. We get a lot of use out of a Pampered Chef heritage baker - more or less a clay Dutch oven/roaster which we use to braise. Sort of our go to for Friday’s Shabbat dinner. I can put a roast in it at lunch, let it go at low heat and we are are ready right after work. Great for brisket.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2018 at 2:26 PM, oldtimer said:

They can still be used on the fire.  Or in the case of the dutch oven, buried in coals.

Most my age learned in Scouts how to make a campfire peach cobbler with just sugar, peaches, and biscuit dough.  Pressing the dough around the bottom and walls, dumping in the peaches and sugar, mixing, then topping with more biscuit dough. Put the lid on, bury it in the coals, put more on the lid (those with the one inch or so rim are made for this), give it 10 minutes or more depending on the nature of the coals...and feast. Probably wouldn't get rave reviews at home, but on a camping trip a total treat after a day spent hiking and such.

Dave

• Like 2

On 3/10/2018 at 1:40 PM, dirtmudd said:

Cleaning pieces by burning them in a fire, or using a self-cleaning oven both have the potential to ruin if not outright destroy a piece.

Fire may heat the iron to the point it turns the metal flaky and an irreversible, reddish color. Pieces so-damaged will never season properly again

That was my thought.  I flash clean mine that have been fried in or used for anything not boiled by putting them under running water immediately after emptying. One must be careful on two counts: there will be STEAM which will burn you and cause you to drop the pan...plus all sorts of cussin' and funny language, and you must be careful not to hit anything as they are brittle until cooled and it's easy to break or knock a hole in one.

Dave

4 minutes ago, Mallette said:

That was my thought.  I flash clean mine that have been fried in or used for anything not boiled by putting them under running water immediately after emptying. One must be careful on two counts: there will be STEAM which will burn you and cause you to drop the pan...plus all sorts of cussin' and funny language, and you must be careful not to hit anything as they are brittle until cooled and it's easy to break or knock a hole in one.

Dave

when sauteing to lift the flavors from

the pan....buy introducing alcohol..

known as flambe...after that process

you can now make a pan sauce...

you can also use that process....

when the pan is still hot on the stove..

without any proteins are veggies...

just a empty pan...

with food particles that stuck in the pan....just had water....it will lift

the food particles...and just wipe

with a clean cloth...you might have too repete the process....

1 minute ago, dirtmudd said:

you might have too repete the process....

The process being to reheat it to a sizzle before quenching again. I have rarely had to do this if I ensure it's hot enough coming straight off the heat. 

Dave

18 minutes ago, Mallette said:

The process being to reheat it to a sizzle before quenching again. I have rarely had to do this if I ensure it's hot enough coming straight off the heat. 

Dave

yes if there is a cooked in or a stubborn food particle...

like bake in.  while the pan is still hot..or just keep on the flame..

repete the process...instead of scrubbing a cold pan or soaking it...

and you might have to reseason the

pan...but you will not ruin the pan...

I never have to re-season after this process, and don't recall ever needing to. Don't have to scour, either...which would certainly wreak havoc with the seasoning. Those green fine plastic thin plastic scrubbers don't hurt...but they are THIN and you must be careful not to get burned. Also, coarse or kosher salt under a thicker scrubber works well.  

And, it should go without saying, NEVER use any detergent.  You WANT that fine layer of oil to remain. It's been sterilized, and will be sterilized next use.

Dave

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mallette said:

I never have to re-season after this process, and don't recall ever needing to. Don't have to scour, either...which would certainly wreak havoc with the seasoning. Those green fine plastic thin plastic scrubbers don't hurt...but they are THIN and you must be careful not to get burned. Also, coarse or kosher salt under a thicker scrubber works well.  

And, it should go without saying, NEVER use any detergent.  You WANT that fine layer of oil to remain. It's been sterilized, and will be sterilized next use.

Dave

use a pair of tongs ..the chefs third 

hand...you will never get burned...

just the lifting of food particles ..

May induce the reasoning of the 

pan...or just a simple light oil rub..

while the pan is still hot...

2 hours ago, Mallette said:

Most my age learned in Scouts how to make a campfire peach cobbler with just sugar, peaches, and biscuit dough.  Pressing the dough around the bottom and walls, dumping in the peaches and sugar, mixing, then topping with more biscuit dough. Put the lid on, bury it in the coals, put more on the lid (those with the one inch or so rim are made for this), give it 10 minutes or more depending on the nature of the coals...and feast. Probably wouldn't get rave reviews at home, but on a camping trip a total treat after a day spent hiking and such.

Dave

Remember it well!