Anyone here cook - Pots and Pans discussion

tigerwoodKhorns

Good for you.  I am all steel and cast iron, both because they do the best job and because they are induction burner friendly. Induction plus magnetic metals equals cooking magic with almost instant response to adjustments. I can wok now without a 40k BTU gas burner with a flat bottom steel wok. I can simmer chili and such with zero concerns about sticking. No aluminum for this cook anymore!

Dave

5 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I am finally getting rid of my teflon / nonstick pans (anyone want a really good deal on a mint condition huge set of Calphalon pots and pans?)

We have added some lodge cast iron and just ordered a stainless set of Zwilling Sensation (same as Demeyre 5 Plus). 

Thoughts / discussions? 

good on ya.

A well seasoned cast iron pan is a thing of beauty.

I use cast iron iron for most stuff. And have a stack of copper clad Revereware. I am somewhat of a throwback, though.

I use carbon steel knives, too. The ones that turn black. None of that ceramic for me. Too delicate. One of my kitchen knives skinned and butchered a deer.  I did have to grind a new edge, but, let's see ya do that with a ceramic knife.

Can't say I have tried induction heating. It intrigues me.

Most of my stuff is heirloom [a few generations]  and was around when gas lights were still being used.

We even have a cast iron wok.

• Like 1

Still using a set of Saladmaster cookware here, at 46 years old it's holding up ok. We have a nonstick, coated alum. skillet... my wife likes it. She tends to cook on high ( I think a lot of asians do... the burner is either off or on high... I'm joking, really, but after eight years she is catching on).

Bruce

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WillyBob said:

A well seasoned cast iron pan is a thing of beauty.

I use cast iron iron for most stuff.

I used to always grill my steaks until I bought my Lodge.  A filet mignon rolled in Montreal seasoning and coated with olive oil(not extra virgin) seared on all sides and then placed in a 400 degree oven with a pat of butter for about 8 minutes will cook that beauty to a perfect medium rare.  Who needs to go(or afford) Ruth Chris for steak perfection.

Did I mention how cast iron cooks bacon and scrambles eggs, or cornbread?

And have a stack of copper clad Revereware.

My mom gave me some of her decades old copper bottom Revere pans about 25 years ago.  They are still going strong.

I use carbon steel knives, too.

Yes, I have used a butcher block set of Sabatier knives since 2002 and they need special care(keep dry) to prevent rust.  A good sharpener/honer is a must.

Bill

• Like 1

yes .. the carbon steel will rust. Taking me some time to get the wife to address that when she does the dishes. She leave the "black knives" alone as she like to pare things in her hand.

I was juicing some limes and the knife glanced off one when I was halving them ... as a friends said "Good thing there was a bone to stop it"...

3 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

I was juicing some limes and the knife glanced off one when I was halving them ... as a friends said "Good thing there was a bone to stop it"...

A sharp knife is a safe knife.;):P

Bill

• Like 3

I like cherry pie....wife doesn't.  I don't need a WHOLE cherry pie.

Solution? Pull out my #4 Griswold. Crust in bottom, can of filler (single can), crust on top and it's akin to a 'personal pan pizza'

Large enough to make me happy, small enough to eat without having to pig out on it.

Trying to get her to do similar when her brother is here with her niece.  Personal pan pizza's... made in skillet, tossed in oven.  Everyone can make their own.

it's  a waste of time buying...

regular cookware at your local store..

Full heavy duty copper pans !

that's if you want the ultimate

in cookware....prepare to dig deep

in your pockets....

I prefer going to the local restaurant

supply...

and as for sticking to the pan...

is most likely poor cooking techniques...

http://www.brooklyncoppercookware.com/pure-metal-cookware/

The cast iron is nice for searing and browning a surprisingly easy to clean. 

3 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

it's  a waste of time buying...

regular cookware at your local store..

Full heavy duty copper pans !

that's if you want the ultimate

in cookware....prepare to dig deep

in your pockets....

I prefer going to the local restaurant

supply...

and as for sticking to the pan...

is most likely poor cooking techniques...

http://www.brooklyncoppercookware.com/pure-metal-cookware/

I am looking forward to the stainless lined pans.  Never had a set but they should spread the heat evenly.  I looked at copper but too hard to maintain.  I found a good deal on the Zwiling Sensation which are on closeout.  They are the same as the Demeyre 5. 

As for knives, Victorinox are great.  They have plastic handles and are not too expensive, but sharp as can be.  I bought a $4 stone and some oil on amazon to sharpen when necessary. 

3 hours ago, USNRET said:

@tigerwoodKhorns if you are serious, yes.

I am serious, but not sure what shipping will do unless you have a commercial account. 

I tossed the pans that we used and the rest are either basically like new or used little (not much wear). 

Here is what I have:

8" frying - 1388 - 2 ea

10" frying - 1390

12" searing grilling (has ribs on it)

3 qt saute pans - 5003 - 2 ea

1 qt sauce 8701

2 qt sauce 8702

6 qt pot - 806

12" Wok - 1612

Also have stainless and glass lids - need to inventory them

I have gotten rid of any bad ones (a few frying pans and sauce pots) that were used heavily.  The remaining stuff is all either very good or like new.  You can PM me if you like.  Might do a trade, I happen to like audio equipment and music. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

The cast iron is nice for searing and browning a surprisingly easy to clean. 

I am looking forward to the stainless lined pans.  Never had a set but they should spread the heat evenly.  I looked at copper but too hard to maintain.  I found a good deal on the Zwiling Sensation which are on closeout.  They are the same as the Demeyre 5. 

As for knives, Victorinox are great.  They have plastic handles and are not too expensive, but sharp as can be.  I bought a $4 stone and some oil on amazon to sharpen when necessary. 

I have this in rosewood.....and assorted...fibrox handled knives

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H12TII/ref=asc_df_B000H12TII5391742/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B000H12TII&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198090821251&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14361776225851605536&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9005286&hvtargid=pla-317860590187

14 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I am finally getting rid of my teflon / nonstick pans (anyone want a really good deal on a mint condition huge set of Calphalon pots and pans?)

We have added some lodge cast iron and just ordered a stainless set of Zwilling Sensation (same as Demeyre 5 Plus). 

Thoughts / discussions? 

I don't know a whole hell of a lot about cooking on a stove or oven, but my wife is an excellent cook. She has a preference for All Clad's Copper Core pots and pans. Feels like pretty good stuff compared to the thin steel warping crap I owed in college.

12 hours ago, Mallette said:

Good for you.  I am all steel and cast iron, both because they do the best job and because they are induction burner friendly. Induction plus magnetic metals equals cooking magic with almost instant response to adjustments. I can wok now without a 40k BTU gas burner with a flat bottom steel wok. I can simmer chili and such with zero concerns about sticking. No aluminum for this cook anymore!

Dave

I love cast-iron, it's what we use when we go on extended hunting/camping trips into the mountains. It's too heavy for my wife. I tried to get her to use it, but she complained about the weight.