Anyone here cook - Pots and Pans discussion

tigerwoodKhorns

When I got the Saladmaster in the early '70s, the set was $500, which today would be a tad over $2400. The newer Saladmaster stuff starts just a little higher.

You can cook chicken with no oil in these pans... it just comes loose when it's done.

4 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

it's  a waste of time buying...

regular cookware at your local store..

Full heavy duty copper pans !

that's if you want the ultimate

in cookware....prepare to dig deep

in your pockets....

I prefer going to the local restaurant

supply...

and as for sticking to the pan...

is most likely poor cooking techniques...

http://www.brooklyncoppercookware.com/pure-metal-cookware/

Yowzer that's a mighty spicy meatball.... Approx how much do you have "invested" in cookware and knives? You are a professional chef no?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, babadono said:

Yowzer that's a mighty spicy meatball.... Approx how much do you have "invested" in cookware and knives? You are a professional chef no?

my set cost $550 20 years ago....

if I had to replace everything...

in knives $12-1400

50 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

They are great knives.  I bought 6 paring knives for $7 to $9 each on Amazon and just bought a 5 piece set with a 5" and 8" chopping knife, break knife, paring and sharpener for $60 on Wayfair.  Arriving tomorrow.  Great deal that I found on Slickdeals (thank you Boxx - RIP). 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I don't know a whole hell of a lot about cooking on a stove or oven, but my wife is an excellent cook. She has a preference for All Clad's Copper Core pots and pans. Feels like pretty good stuff compared to the thin steel warping crap I owed in college.

I love cast-iron, it's what we use when we go on extended hunting/camping trips into the mountains. It's too heavy for my wife. I tried to get her to use it, but she complained about the weight. 

The iron clad are nice.   What I bought is an upgrade over the Iron Clad aluminum core 5 ply (so below the copper series that you have).  These should be a lifetime set. 

5 minutes ago, babadono said:

And for a minimal set of those excellent copper tin lined pans..2 or 3 grand?

I know it was 6-800 for a 6-8 quart sauce pan..

and no I don't have any all copper pans....cost prohibitive....for home use....

like I said I go down to the local restaurant supply....

they are better and cheaper....

than what is found in detail stores..

or authorized , promoted or endorsed cookware.. from well known chefs...

believe me they are not using those

products.....

• Like 1

Well I don't know crap about cooking and the stuff was sticking in the cast iron pans so I bought those $6.99 jobs that don't stick. They work for a while then stuff starts to stick even with Pam or olive oil. Then the handles get loose and you can't tighten them up anymore. The cast iron pans take too long to heat up on an old electric stove (It still works and no gas line so what the----) Olive oil spurts all over the place at medium temp. so went to the grill spray (Pam) stuff.  Eye Of Round beef cooks really fast so have to watch real close. Have to cut raw chicken in 1.2" thickness for proper cooking and salmon also. When I switched from paper to ceramic plates had to add another 30 seconds to cooking time because the food cooled off too fast and that included pre-heating the plates.

JJK

• Moderators

Some of this can get really expensive fast.

I use only cast iron except for big pots, the bigger pots are mostly commercial aluminum, 4 pots 7.5 quarts to 24 quarts, one is an old thick pressure cooker bottom.

That's another thing pressure cookers are making a comeback it seems. Not me, I am scared of them after seeing one blow the top off my grandmother was using.

Knives, I just have a collection of different kinds, nothing special but sharp.

My cast iron is all very well seasoned and almost nothing sticks to them, but if it does i use a SS mesh scraper, 4 seconds with one of these and it's clean with no soap.

619r9GBGR1L.jpg

19 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Cool. Yes we have a couple Lodge skillets and a griddle, did not know they made woks too.

Back when I was a bachelor I had all GHC professional Magnalite and loved them the bride not so much so away they went.

Knives: I want nice but the same bride just shoves them in the dishwasher and they beat around and look like hacksaw blades

• Like 2

https://www.costco.com/Bergner-10-piece-Stainless-Steel-Cookware-Set.product.100393608.html

I just bought these last week, they were the heaviest and thickest I could find, and the $100 price and return policy was just to easy to just do it, and think later. I just put a micrometer on them and they are 3MM thick just like the specs say on the Demeyere. Only in a 3 ply. Made in China :(

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Coytee said:

Try an old Griswold, Wagner, others...  the finish is much nicer (ground smooth) than a Lodge.  The lodge looks downright cobby in comparison.

That's true Griswold is the best but expensive, and I'm not sure why ?

The imperfections on the bottom make no difference in cleaning or cooking. The reason I don't want any Griswold is although very smooth they tend to be thin on the bottom compared to almost all other brands of cast iron, I don't know why but they are. This seems to make things burn faster on the bottom before the whole pan heats up.

The last cast iron pan I got is 15.5 inches across, it was all rusty and pitted, ground it down and started re seasoning it, works great now. I got it for $10 and cleaned it up. I have 7 total down to 5".

The oddest one came from an Lodge outlet store in Tennessee, it's odd because it has rounded curve where the bottom meets the top, the only one I have seen like that, and it's a nice size at 12" across the top. 

image.jpeg

• Like 2

looks like a dedicated saute pan

I have Griswold and Lodge. At their age, they the same.

Babando,

Got the wok at an Asian grocery in Tucson. They went out of business a few years ago. No brand name

fwiw

we have more cast iron than we know what to do with. The old lady that built this place liked cast iron, too.  There were pieces hanging in the trees along with bottleneck leis.

So, I'm not the first wacko to live in this house.

• Haha 1

• Moderators

Had a wok many years ago, it disappeared ? I wanted another one and I ran across part of a website about smoking, it was about Discada cooking so I made one. I was building a smoker at the time so I added a heavy duty burner to one end. Couldn't find an old disc blade so i got one from a tractor supply place and made one, added handles and welded a piece in the center to fill the mounting hole. It's a disc blade off a tractor and 22" across and about 1/4" thick in the center. Works great for stir-fry's or frying fish outside so no smell inside. I still want another wok for inside but this is handy for large cooks especially if you want to do it outside. Hey it's cooking :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discada

http://www.southwestdisk.com/

image.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

That's true Griswold is the best but expensive, and I'm not sure why ?

The imperfections on the bottom make no difference in cleaning or cooking. The reason I don't want any Griswold is although very smooth they tend to be thin on the bottom compared to almost all other brands of cast iron, I don't know why but they are. This seems to make things burn faster on the bottom before the whole pan heats up.

The last cast iron pan I got is 15.5 inches across, it was all rusty and pitted, ground it down and started re seasoning it, works great now. I got it for $10 and cleaned it up. I have 7 total down to 5".

The oddest one came from an Lodge outlet store in Tennessee, it's odd because it has rounded curve where the bottom meets the top, the only one I have seen like that, and it's a nice size at 12" across the top. 

image.jpeg

omelette pan