Anyone here cook - Pots and Pans discussion

tigerwoodKhorns

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Mallette said:

Don't have to scour, either...which would certainly wreak havoc with the seasoning.

I have never had that happen, the wire mesh thing works great, maby because it take very little effort, just a quick wipe. No scrubbing and it only gets used maby 1 out of 10 times I cook, mostly because nothing really sticks.

Well they are really well seasoned, after each use I lightly oil and cook off the biggest part leaving just a film, it seems to work well. Originally years ago I oiled and cooked them in the oven for hours re oiling a few times, I read it somewhere and figured it couldn't hurt ?  I have dutch oven that just stays on the wood burning heater, mostly for mass, it get's occasional oil and just lives there. I don't think I ever cooked anything except baked sweet and regular potatoes, wrapped in foil and left all day as the heater heated the house.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

use a pair of tongs

No idea how that would work. I have good quality tongs, but certainly none that would handle the weight of cast iron. Besides that, I know how to handle it and have had no misadventures in decades.

Dave

2 hours ago, dtel said:

I have never had that happen, the wire mesh thing works great, maby because it take very little effort, just a quick wipe. No scrubbing and it only gets used maby 1 out of 10 times I cook, mostly because nothing really sticks.

That's why. I just don't keep any metal scrubbers around and my comments were more aimed at "newbies" to cast iron care...and you definitely aren't one. "To the extent that it works, it's a good thing." I have done my seasoning by roasting coffee beans in new or old cast iron needing reseasoning for years now even though it's a bit labor intensive. You get a great seasoning...and fresh roasted coffee to boot.

Dave

6 hours ago, Mallette said:

No idea how that would work. I have good quality tongs, but certainly none that would handle the weight of cast iron. Besides that, I know how to handle it and have had no misadventures in decades.

Dave

while the pan is still hot...use the tongs to hold a clean cloth or 3m scrubby...ect.....you will not burn your

hand.....

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Mallette said:

I have done my seasoning by roasting coffee beans in new or old cast iron needing reseasoning for years now even though it's a bit labor intensive. You get a great seasoning...and fresh roasted coffee to boot.

I like that idea, does it give the pan any flavor?

5 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

while the pan is still hot...use the tongs to hold a clean cloth or 3m scrubby...ect.....you will not burn your

hand.....

Good idea, I usually just run enough hot water on it to be able to wipe and rinse it quickly and right back on the heat. Most of the time just a quick wipe with one of those plastic scrubby things and there good.

I have seen some nice big dutch ovens and other big cast iron pans but they are to big for my burners and I don't camp so much anymore, I could only use them on the burner outside.

6 minutes ago, dtel said:

I like that idea, does it give the pan any flavor?

None. Leaves a smooth, oil film finish that looks like black Teflon.  WARNING: Open the windows and take the batteries out of your smoke detectors before roasting coffee. Smokes up the place big time. Do it outside over a propane burner if possible.

Dave

• Haha 1

• Moderators
Just now, -js- said:

one of the outlaws?

I would think.:lol:

One time a friend Kevin Harmon brought me out to his truck to show me his Louisiana Klipsch license plate and said you should get one it's probably not taken in Mississippi, so we did and had it on the jeep for years.  At one Klipsch Pilgrimage a few people asked me are you related to PWK, so I told them yes, were the side of the family he's embarrassed to talk about. :o Ended telling the truth, the sign now hangs in the bar.

• Haha 1