Run/Burn in time

Deano1974

no, there isn''t.   It happens faster than you can notice.  Seconds to a few minutes.

I didn't do this w/ my new Cornwalls (purchased in Dec. '17) but with my previous two new speakers - Paradigm S8's and Vandersteen 3A Sigs - I played just one speaker for 24 hours.  I then connected the other, set it right next to the first and compared the two using my balance control and Mono recording.  I did not hear one iota of difference. Nothing, zilch.  Nor did anyone in my family.  Sadly, speaker break-in is another one of those Audio myths that could be ended, yet persists.

• Like 1

The notion of break-in, whether it pertains to speakers, cd players, amplifiers, cables, etc., is a tool that some less-scrupulous manufacturers, retailers, and on-line sellers use to head off rampant product returns.  When someone buys a pricey amplifier, DAC, cable, etc... and doesn't immediately notice the big improvement in sound that they were expecting, the seller tells them, "give it time to break-in, maybe a few dozen hours at least.  ..Then you'll hear it!"  

Woofers will in particular loosen up.  If you listen at loud levels, it will make the most difference.  If you are listening very low, the break in will be insignificant and very slow to the  point of not recognizing it if the speaker does loosen up a little.

• Like 1

I've found some pro audio style woofers like Eminence are VERY stiff out of the box and sound very thin at first.  Mine took about a month to loosen up and sound better.  I don't think home speakers need that level of break in.

The best way to break in Klipsch home speakers is to simply play them, nothing special needed.

Here is an interesting video from Paul McGowen CEO and audio engineer of high end amp company PS Audio.  He says his M700 monoblock $3000 pair sounds better after two weeks of break-in than one that has not been burned in.

Whether or not a new amplifier will need to be broken in remains controversial. Some amplifier designers think all that's needed is a few minutes for the circuits to reach their operating temperature, and that the audible results of longer periods of break-in are extremely minimal, and perhaps imaginary. Paul McGowan is not of that group. Asked whether the M700 needed to be broken in, he said, "Lots." Pressed to be more specific, he said, "Two weeks."

https://www.stereophile.com/content/ps-audio-stellar-m700-monoblock-power-amplifier

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, pzannucci said:
3 hours ago, wdecho said:

Let her rip. 

Basically :D

Yes I would and did, but to tell the truth after a couple of weeks it did sound different, my wife asked me what did I do, I did nothing, it was on Cornwall lll's also.

Was it the speakers or my ears getting use to the sound ? I have no idea.

I do this sometimes when people get new Cornwalls, want to see how they are made ?

http://www.cyclonecj.com/dtel/Dtelcorns-small/

• Like 1

Firstly! Thank you so much for all the replys and knowledge, so it seems its 50/50 on the break in time then lol

Anyhow I loooovvve them now and if they get better after 50 hours then thats even better [emoji16]

Thanks everyone

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Yes I would and did, but to tell the truth after a couple of weeks it did sound different, my wife asked me what did I do, I did nothing, it was on Cornwall lll's also.

Was it the speakers or my ears getting use to the sound ? I have no idea.

I do this sometimes when people get new Cornwalls, want to see how they are made ?

http://www.cyclonecj.com/dtel/Dtelcorns-small/
Awesome photos, great to know how they are made and to see the people that may have had some part in building and finishing my pair [emoji16]

Thank you

• Moderators

My guess is they will sound better over time, just my opinion, why I don't know. :lol:

They truly hand made custom speakers, and they will outlast you, even if your a teen now.  No woofer surrounds that go bad, about all you might need to do is in about 20-25 years replace the caps in the crossovers to make them sound like new again, pretty good. imo

• Like 1

My guess is they will sound better over time, just my opinion, why I don't know. [emoji38]

They truly hand made custom speakers, and they will outlast you, even if your a teen now.  No woofer surrounds that go bad, about all you might need to do is in about 20-25 years replace the caps in the crossovers to make them sound like new again, pretty good. imo
Peace of mind and a beautiful sound, cant be bad, I'm so happy i bought these they are sublime - Truly!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My personal view is that it is your own hearing acclimatizing to a new sound and the result of noodling around with room placement. More often than not a pair of speakers will be adjusted several times with regards to placement fine tuning over a week or so before they seem to “break in”. A large woofer might “loosen” up after a short period of time, although I have never experienced this.

• Like 3

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Schu said:

drive it like you stole it...

Exactly your not going to hurt anything, have fun.

6 hours ago, YK Thom said:

My personal view is that it is your own hearing acclimatizing to a new sound

I tend to think this is what's happening, being it was a couple of weeks later. We did hear a difference, what cause it I have no idea ?

• Like 1

As I mentioned I have always been sceptical, a speaker is not an old fashioned car motor, they are designed to vibrate millions of times for potentially decades. I have noticed that the average recommended break in time seems to coincide very conveniently with average placement adjustment and fidgeting time that most go through. Just my observation and 2 cents worth.

• Like 2