imaging ?

boxerjake

2 hours ago, jwc said:

Claude.  Show us a picture of these Carvers in your room.

The ribbons are 6 feet apart with my sweet spot 8 feet away, in front of another identical pair you can't see. They are currentlyCarverAmazingPlatinum.thumb.JPG.813d73899843472547008d8d5279c21a.JPG in the "Research and Development Room" along with with Chorus II's, KP 250's, Heresy 1's, Peavy FH-1's, OB woofer sections, K-402's with TAD's, Community drivers, 4 peavey horns, about 2 dozen raw drivers in the other room. The 60 inch Ribbons are on the inside and take care of 120-20,000 Hz., while the 4x12" Open baffle, high Q woofers are behind the grille (8 total) handling the duties from 18-120 Hz. It's a truly AMAZING Two Way speaker..............BUT it takes 13-17 dbWatts more power than Klipsch at it's low efficiency 87 db SPL for 1 WAtt input, but it will handle a kilowatt if you crank it, although it won't get STUPID loud like the Danleys at that power level. I use the Yamaha pre pro's YPAO EQ (one mike reading only on top of leather chair) and it's ready to rock. Without it, there is too much low bass, believe it or not. Diana Krall's voice sounds like it's coming from the back wall, out of the blue cloth when listening. The 3D effect is unreal and pianos are very real sounding, as are drums. The transient response is horn-quick IMHO.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2018 at 10:02 AM, Deang said:

Easy to do with a set of small monitors on good stands, and pulled away from the corners and walls. Use a sub or two to fill in the bottom.

I use Klipsch because I like the dynamics/realism. The more real is sounds, the less I care about imaging. However, I have a very good phantom center with the LaScalas, though it does lack depth of field at low volumes -- easily overcome with a little more volume.

Getting the imaging produced from small monitors (like BBC's Rogers, Spendor, etc. with KEF drivers) is a poor TRADE-OFF if  you give up the DYNAMICS of REALISM provided by Klipsch speakers and other good horn designs. My latest acquisitions/experiments with Carver Amazing speakers with Hypex Amplifiers gives me extreme 3D Imaging but gives up NOTHING in the realism department. Like I said before, good audio is all about the best ILLUSION, no matter how you do it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Getting the imaging produced from small monitors (like BBC's Rogers, Spendor, etc. with KEF drivers) is a poor TRADE-OFF if  you give up the DYNAMICS of REALISM provided by Klipsch speakers and other good horn designs. My latest acquisitions/experiments with Carver Amazing speakers with Hypex Amplifiers gives me extreme 3D Imaging but gives up NOTHING in the realism department. Like I said before, good audio is all about the best ILLUSION, no matter how you do it.

I have  BBC LS3/5A speakers.  What Claude says about them in comparison to horns is true.

I agree and feel the same way about my Ohms. In fact I had concerns about detail loss when I swapped out my RB 61IIs as mains. Fortunately it wasn’t the case at all. The presentation, imaging and soundstage were greatly enhanced. Really like both designs but the Klipsch I would really like would work better in a larger room where I could be farther back from them. Space and circumstance don’t allow it at this time. At some point they will...

4 hours ago, jwc said:

Seems like centuries ago I heard those Carvers.

Can you still get parts?

No parts and limited re-builders of ribbons. However, the ribbons are rugged and last forever if not abused. the woofers need re-foaming every 25 years, but those parts are readily available. I have xover schematics, so no problem there either. You would have heard them about 20-30 years ago, but like PWK always said "the Excellent is new forever."

• Like 1

Hi guys with regards to imaging, i have recently positioned my Cornwall III's and the imagining is nearly perfect apart from
The artist or singer seems to be positioned to low down, the image from the center is not ear level or above (Stevie ray vaughan sounds like a midget).

Any ideas please as im going nuts with this now after a week of intensive measurements and speaker placement

Cheers

Deano

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Deano1974 said:

Hi guys with regards to imaging, i have recently positioned my Cornwall III's and the imagining is nearly perfect apart from
The artist or singer seems to be positioned to low down, the image from the center is not ear level or above (Stevie ray vaughan sounds like a midget).

Any ideas please as im going nuts with this now after a week of intensive measurements and speaker placement

Cheers

Deano

Try tilting them back a little bit.

Even though everything is working fine and we are sure it is,

it is my opinion you do not have the settings right to create

the sound you want in your area. Yes, your equipment is perfect

and operating just as it should But the sound synergy is off.

Your goal is to make the sound bigger with out lifting your speakers.

Not louder---bigger, so you're not listening to midgets in the room.

3 minutes ago, rebuy said:

Even though everything is working fine and we are sure it is,

it is my opinion you do not have the settings right to create

the sound you want in your area. Yes, your equipment is perfect

and operating just as it should But the sound synergy is off.

Your goal is to make the sound bigger with out lifting your speakers.

Not louder---bigger, so you're not listening to midgets in the room.

ok fair point, so what could be causing the small center image problem, speakers not toed in correctly or speakers need to come out from the wall? or am i missing something else?

You r speakers are very efficient  so they take very little power to reach

high sound levels and for you this could be just a part of the issue.

How can you set your equipment up to change the sound to make it sound "bigger"?

With an AVR you can set the speakers into the negative numbers i.e. -4 or -5

and them that would probably reduce some midrange and treble and allow you to

turn up the volume and make the speakers "sound bigger".

You can make adjustments from there.

You r speakers are very efficient  so they take very little power to reach
high sound levels and for you this could be just a part of the issue.
How can you set your equipment up to change the sound to make it sound "bigger"?
With an AVR you can set the speakers into the negative numbers i.e. -4 or -5
and them that would probably reduce some midrange and treble and allow you to
turn up the volume and make the speakers "sound bigger".
You can make adjustments from there.
Yeah i undestand where you are coming from but its nit an amp issue, i think i need to play around again with the placement as i had the center image before at the right height but the clarity was off,

4 minutes ago, Deano1974 said:

Yeah i undestand where you are coming from but its nit an amp issue, i think i need to play around again with the placement as i had the center image before at the right height but the clarity was off,

Good luck--Keep Thinkin'--You'll figure it out.

• Like 1