RF3II vs RF82II

jp88

Have owned RF3II's for many years and have been pretty satisfied. Though recently i've seen there are some really good deals available on the RF82II's and iv'e been thinking of upgrading. Wondering, would this be a big upgrade? is the sound that different?  or should I save up my money and get the RP280s?

I have a pretty basic system Denon 3805 for HT, with RC62II, R12SWI.  ALso have a Dennon 45pf turntable and Jolida 302 tube amp for vinyl listening.

I think for most people the RF-82 II is a worthwhile upgrade, and at the price you can get them at right now - it's a good investment.  The RF-3 II's (I have 4) are great speakers, and respond very well to crossover upgrades, but many people prefer the horn in the 82's.  With the RC-62, the RF-82's should image better as well.  I owned an RC-52 and an RC-35 that were both paired with my RF-3's and was no satisfied.  When I switched to the RC-3 and then the RC-7, that changed.

28 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

I think for most people the RF-82 II is a worthwhile upgrade, and at the price you can get them at right now - it's a good investment.  The RF-3 II's (I have 4) are great speakers, and respond very well to crossover upgrades, but many people prefer the horn in the 82's.  With the RC-62, the RF-82's should image better as well.  I owned an RC-52 and an RC-35 that were both paired with my RF-3's and was no satisfied.  When I switched to the RC-3 and then the RC-7, that changed.

Glad you mentioned the crossover upgrades. I see people mentioning that. Are people just ordering new crossovers and swaping them out? is it easy to do?

38 minutes ago, jp88 said:

Glad you mentioned the crossover upgrades. I see people mentioning that. Are people just ordering new crossovers and swaping them out? is it easy to do?

Swapping them out.  I had Bob Crites do my upgrades, and he didn't a great job.  Stand up guy, and professional work.  It's pretty easy to do if you're okay with opening the speaker up.  Cleans up the highs quite a bit.

• Like 1