Horn adaptor for K-77 replacement

Dave A

On 3/18/2018 at 8:28 AM, Dave A said:

Dean got me to thinking about how I should approach this whole matter. I think modular plates is the way to go so the basic horn can be used by a bigger variety. This setup now can be used for the B&C DE110 and DE120 pre-drilled to use either on the same plate or the APT 50 with the screw in. Think this may be the last iteration required to suit all needs. This way for those who tinker a new clamp plate allows you to try other things and reuse the horn. In the case of the driver becoming discontinued throw the clamp plate out and get another type of driver. It seems as the B&C drivers are getting the better reviews and their clamp plate is easier to make. My reason for going the APT route first was cost of drivers were significantly cheaper. I believe this will be the last set of changes needed.

I love this idea, but one caution for you: on some Klipschorns (mine for sure), the top hat stiffener rib is pretty close to the old K-77 as it is.  The additional thickness of the modular plate might cause the tweeter magnet or terminals to hit this rib or even make it impossible to install.

2 hours ago, codewritinfool said:

I love this idea, but one caution for you: on some Klipschorns (mine for sure), the top hat stiffener rib is pretty close to the old K-77 as it is.  The additional thickness of the modular plate might cause the tweeter magnet or terminals to hit this rib or even make it impossible to install.

I can provide dimensional drawings for anyone who is worried and it would be up to you then to measure the cabinet. In order to have the depth of the horn lens cutout I can't do much to reduce the front to back size. The mounting plate has to have sufficient thickness to allow for the allen screws on the inside so that is another constraint that cant be reduced.

13 hours ago, brians7 said:

I am also interested Tractix horns. PM me if they become available. Thanks Brian 

When not if. I expect by the end of next week to have some for sale.  I will be selling the Elliptrac type for $260 + medium flat rate and the "Tractix" type for $272.00 + medium flat rate. This includes the B&C DE120. You want to buy them without horns knock off $137.50. I have not decided if I am going to offer the 1 3/8 18 threaded base plate type with the APT50 since so many have spoken poorly of it. My only experience with a pair was the LSI I used a set in and it sounded MUCH better than the old K-77 to me. Bob has the better APT50 version that is apparently the one to go for if he will sell just the driver to you. I will offer the threaded plate adapter also and when I cut a couple to see about the time involved I will have a price.

12 hours ago, brians7 said:

Now you just need to offer anodizing to protect them for the long term.  

Spray paint;)

Let me know if you eventually get a pair.  I'd like to come hear them and your impressions.

On 4/30/2018 at 10:39 PM, brians7 said:

Now you just need to offer anodizing to protect them for the long term.  

Well my thoughts on pricing were to keep it as cheap as possible and make it worthwhile to do. In a world where audio can cost megabucks perhaps I am being silly and another $40 or $50 would not matter to many. I have no idea what this would cost and then I have inventory sitting on a shelf that may or may not sell. I like Henry Ford's idea for mass production though and you can have your car in any color of Black and it is affordable to the man who works on the assembly line making them. Personally I like the appearance of machined aluminum and would not hide it with paint or anodizing unless maybe clear coat.

18 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Spray paint;)

Let me know if you eventually get a pair.  I'd like to come hear them and your impressions.

I am thinking of possibly letting a few loaner sets out there for people to try themselves. Keep it for a week and send it to the next person on the list. Should also have some solid technical information soon on these for those that understand such things. I am not one and my only experience to date has been the APT 50's in a pair of La Scalas and even though the driver is not the best having the lens flush mount to the motor board face + that driver was way better than the stock K77. The very best driver you could buy? No but a big improvement anyway and much cheaper. This will happen soon to.

I have tinkered with things Klipsch far more than I would have dreamed of two years ago but I can see a point in time where I am happy with the sound and decide good enough. I am not of the camp where spending more and more is OK and want my sound good and as cheap as can be to get there. I would consider these machined horn lenses at the price I have them at. They start sailing way past $300 and that"s another story and I figure there are more of me than there are $1,000 speaker hookup wire dudes. 

To all of you following this thread. The idea of these horns has morphed over time from something I found interesting to something I thought might help pay for the "addiction" of more bigger and better Klipsch to now being actively considered as a part of earning a living. Personally I am excited to think a hobby I like so much may become more but there needs to be separation between the hobbyist and the for hire machinist.  As a result I will no longer post anything to do with these here on the forums about pricing or where to go to get them. I will post strictly technical details and answer questions of that nature and people who are interested can comment. You may of course PM me for answers outside of purely technical discussions but it is time to separate the two worlds as I edge much closer to actually selling them.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dave A said:

As a result I will no longer post anything to do with these here on the forums about pricing or where to go to get them.

I guess I don't understand.  Are you going to post them on the Klipsch forum when they become available for sale?

• 2 weeks later...

OK folks here is an update. The guy who is testing the horns audio pattern has been fighting alligators for a few weeks and I really wanted to have this in hand before I offered these to you. I am waiting for him to finish and get info to me and this should be very soon. In the mean time here is a drawing of the finished part as I believe it will be offered. Certainly the outside dimensions will not change any more so if you wanted to check clearances here you go. If by some chance any of you find an issue contact me please.

Tractix with DE 120.JPG

3 hours ago, Deang said:

Nice write up Dave. 

Driver break-in happens exactly as described. 

Thanks Dean bur I can't claim the tech knowledge to have  produced this data. It was done for me by a forum member. Buying the equipment to do my own work but I doubt highly I will ever have this guys all around knowledge.

• 2 months later...

It is hard to imagine this much time has passed but all problems are behind me now and I have final final everything done. I am in my first production run this weekend and picking up more material this coming week. The top and bottom slope for the rectangular tractix style horn has been rotated 2 additional degrees which should yield better verticle coverage and I have added another rectangular tractix type that has flats in the corners and not rounds similar to the newer 510. These are all going to a forum member who has the ability to analyze them for polar coverage although the elliptical fastrac style is unchanged and the spectrograph on my blog post is still good for that one.

Keep in mind that with these modular driver mounting plates as long as the driver will fit your cabinet space you are not limited to one driver from one guy or company and if there are more drivers made in the future small enough to work but requiring a different mounting system I can do that and all you have to get is the mounting plate. In  the near future for instance I will have 1 3/8" 18 TPI internal and external threaded plates along with the DE 110 or 120 mounting pattern plates. There is another one from Beyma I am looking at too and as soon as I get the rest of this going I am going to see how those perform also and that will be another option. Refer to my old blog post for info and when I have more analytical data I will be posting it there once again.

Please remember I can discuss tech aspects of these and general info but beyond that you will have to PM me or go through my blog site. I will be setting up a site just for these in a while but for now contact me as mentioned.

https://solidedging.wordpress.com/2018/05/21/machined-horn-lens/

tweeters.jpg

• Like 1