Horn adaptor for K-77 replacement

Dave A

4 hours ago, Coytee said:

Dave, is the pattern just an ellipse that happens to fit or does it follow any certain profile? (is it a tracktrix (sp) for example)

This is done with a circle at the bottom and an ellipse at the top and straight sides from one to the other. There is not a whole lot of space to do anything with here although I have also done one with a horn closer to the standard K-77 shape. It would be rectangular in shape but be deeper since it would have to accommodate the extra 3/4" for the motor board. The only "science" behind any of what I am doing is that of observation of existing versions that seem to be well received.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Deang said:

When you’re done with this one, work out a solution using the B&C de120 tweeter, which is an amazing driver. 

It's on the list. Weren't they going to phase that out and the DE 110 was going to replace it? Seems that I read that somewhere.

6 hours ago, Coytee said:

Dave, is the pattern just an ellipse that happens to fit or does it follow any certain profile? (is it a tracktrix (sp) for example)

Working on a kind of Tractix shape.

tractix horn.JPG

• Like 1

Dean got me to thinking about how I should approach this whole matter. I think modular plates is the way to go so the basic horn can be used by a bigger variety. This setup now can be used for the B&C DE110 and DE120 pre-drilled to use either on the same plate or the APT 50 with the screw in. Think this may be the last iteration required to suit all needs. This way for those who tinker a new clamp plate allows you to try other things and reuse the horn. In the case of the driver becoming discontinued throw the clamp plate out and get another type of driver. It seems as the B&C drivers are getting the better reviews and their clamp plate is easier to make. My reason for going the APT route first was cost of drivers were significantly cheaper. I believe this will be the last set of changes needed.

de110 1.JPG

de 101 2.JPG

de 110 3.JPG

for apt 50.JPG

I bought some of those once threaded internally and it was the crudest casting I have seen in a long time. They are still in my box because I took too long before deciding to send them back. At the very least these would have to be re-tapped or re-threaded. You look closely at that part they show and see the quality Chinese craftsmanship perfectly displayed.

I would say "some" Chinese craftsmanship. They can make a good as you are willing to pay.

Your's would be better anyway, as they are made specifically for your horn.  So... you would have a plate that is threaded and one that isn't?

They look awesome!

Bruce

19 hours ago, Marvel said:

I would say "some" Chinese craftsmanship. They can make a good as you are willing to pay.

Your's would be better anyway, as they are made specifically for your horn.  So... you would have a plate that is threaded and one that isn't?

They look awesome!

Bruce

I agree.  One Chinese vendor makes the best products I sell.  Other sources are Lowery  quality and cost more; a bad combination.  I visited the factory just outside Hong Kong.  It’s a clean, safe, and pleasant work environment.  They did not have observable air pollution.

But, I admit the threads on the adaptor on the PE site look pitiful.

19 hours ago, Marvel said:

The Chinese might start off OK but if you are not there physically in the factory every day to keep them honest they will start cutting corners on you. I know to many manufacturing horror stories about this to think otherwise. There is even a term for it called Quality Fade. The Chinese will steal your intellectual property and make knockoffs in a heart beat and run a third shift you don't know about on your equipment if you don't get in there and constantly be vigilant.

13 hours ago, Deang said:

The B&C 120 retains the Klipsch sonic signature without the shrill quality of the K-77. I would be really bummed if they dropped this driver from their lineup. 

No experience with the DE110? Sadly it costs more.  You like the DE 120's better stock up.  http://www.loudspeakerdatabase.com/BC/DE120

7 hours ago, justinsweber said:

I love the sound of the ASD1001B. The DE10 is about all the driver I need for HF.

Really amazing work. The end user to chrome or anodize... I want a set too :-)

Hi Justin,  Those drivers are way to big for the La Scalas and Heresy etal drop ins. I did make an adapter plate for an ASD1001B to the horn used in the K-75-79K's. I have had it done for some time and it sits there untested. I am going to send it off with the Fastrac replacement to an engineering type Klipsch user and see what he has to say about them also.

• 2 weeks later...

Cut the first "Tractix" today and not happy with the finish. This takes longer to cut than the elliptical. I tried to use a bigger end mill but it left a poor finish in the corners. Getting very close though and should have it all dialed in next week and the de120's are on order.DSC_0007.thumb.JPG.454e7c5e254224015442369cb84c4e51.JPGDSC_0008.thumb.JPG.c4c1fecb3153d51b6c5dcbe975cbe45b.JPG

Nice looking stuff there!  I like the way this style brings the horn "through" the LaScala (to make it flush). 

Say...  I have a need for a new carburetor for my riding lawn mower, can you make me one of those in a jiffy??!!

:emotion-21:

• 3 weeks later...

One last tweak before they are finally ready to go. I have to redo the clamp plate holes as they are a little to close to the driver. After this last bit all will be well. Finding it very hard to get good pictures of machined aluminum without way to much glare.

DSC_0019.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...