Horn adaptor for K-77 replacement

Dave A

3 hours ago, scalawag said:

Rec'd my pair just the other day.  Design, fit, and workmanship are impressive.  Temporarily mounted them to some acrylic triangles I cut up and set them on top of my 'Scalas for display ~ too nice to "hide" in the cabinet.  Difference in sound between these and the B&C horn practically indistinguishable to me, but then my ears are several decades old and a few -db down in sensitivity, so your results will very likely be different.  Even so, these are nice to look at and I will enjoy them for some time to come, or at least until the hardwood versions are issued!

IMG_1748.jpg.fcd959db8bba45ebd8211e8897a29893.jpg

~

Are you going to mount them in wood at some point in time? My ears suffer the same thing too. I had a guy over the other day and we were listening to a pair of Chorus speakers with the horn lenses in them and he is going wow, did you hear that triangle? Ah, what triangle was my answer. He is sitting there being amazed at things he had never heard before and it is just like my wife pointing out all the bird noises I can't hear.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dave A said:

Are you going to mount them in wood at some point in time? My ears suffer the same thing too. I had a guy over the other day and we were listening to a pair of Chorus speakers with the horn lenses in them and he is going wow, did you hear that triangle? Ah, what triangle was my answer. He is sitting there being amazed at things he had never heard before and it is just like my wife pointing out all the bird noises I can't hear.

One of my best friend and ex-cop in Detroit served in the Army during the Korean War. He was a Canon operator with no ear protection. I don't think he needs tweeters at all! LOL. Although, maybe with a 20 db boost on your tweeters, there could be hope........................

• 1 month later...

OK folks adding to the versatility of the large and small clamp plates. The specs are attached and with a diameter of 2.6" vs the 2.8 for the DE120 it will fit with no problems on any of the K-77 cut outs. Faital HF 102 drivers are priced within two dollars of the DE120's at PE. While I have not heard all of them the count is now up to five drivers that will fit here from Beyma and Faital and JBL and B&C. I am not counting the Eminence APT50 which no one seems to like which would make six.

DSC_0017.JPG

Faital HF102.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2018 at 9:58 AM, Dave A said:

Some time later this year  I am looking at the idea of getting in to making wood horns that would be for the mid range sizes. Thinking about using something like maple butcher blocks or table tops or  oak truck flooring  glued to the right thickness and then machining them out as any shape the endmill can reach I can do. I like the solidity of these laminated blocks and think they might be pretty stained and since they are what they are I don't have to worry about hand selecting top grade huge hardwood ($$$) chunks to match exacting wood grain patterns. I might also do wood in tweeter lenses if I can find screw anchors I trust to be permanent for the clamp plate to body connection.

If I do the mid range horn they will also have clamp plates so a variety of drivers can be used. I really like the idea of being able to move sideways without throwing away everything and starting over.

Any progress to report ?