Horn adaptor for K-77 replacement

Dave A

23 hours ago, Md5150 said:

Nice work! I have a pair of kp600's that uses 2 k77 tweeters mounted to a duel manifold horn. Any idea if these adapters would enable me to use DE120 or 110?

20180728_160748.jpg

Can you send me a picture of the mouth of the horn assembly? That looks a lot like the MTM on my system and I have wondered how four DE120's would sound over four K-77's. Probably could get away with two of those DE120's.  To answer your original question though no it would have to be a purpose built device of some sort. Now you have me thinking and it might be possible to build a clamp or adapter plate that would use those four screws to bolt into the manifold and then figure out how to tie it all together. Oh I also need to see the top if you can remove the driver to see how it mounts in there.

I only have this pic on my phone. I can take more pics tonight. All i think it would take is an adapter plate with 4 holes same as the k77 to mount to the horn and have the holes to mount the DE120 or DE110 to the plate and it should work. I could probably make one out of wood but I'd rather have one machined like the ones you make. I'll post a couple more pics when I get home.

20180727_182425.jpg

I have been asked to cut set of these out of Walnut. I have pondered this for some time and this kind of kicks me off the fence where wood is concerned. I will have to cut these with the grain parallel to the face of the speaker for strength but we shall see how this works  Have to be real careful with screws on these I would imagine since I figure they might split easier than the plastic ones do. There are various hard woods around here that are very pretty and I have thought about this for some time.

On 8/27/2018 at 12:37 PM, carlthess40 said:

I think I seen where someone asked about making this Beautiful lens for the H1’s. And also what about making them out of wood? I could send you the type of wood that I would want to use. Thanks and great work your doing. Top notch work

First I am going to see how this goes with the Walnut. I am also going to see what I might have to do differently to cut these over aluminum which is uniform and no surprises. If they turn out to be trouble it will be special order and I imagine more money than the regular ones.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave A said:

First I am going to see how this goes with the Walnut. I am also going to see what I might have to do differently to cut these over aluminum which is uniform and no surprises. If they turn out to be trouble it will be special order and I imagine more money than the regular ones.

If you think even "fine grained" wood is smooth, your magnification isn't high enough. Mahogany might be a better choice, but I don't really know, I just remember a machinist in my former company preferred it over other woods. Now that you have a terrific lens profile, Best of luck on the Research and Development of Materials!

Just thinking ... a hard maple or a cherry. Pretty dense and machinable. Read this on a wood site about cherry:

Cherry wood is moderately heavy, hard, and strong, and it also machines and sands to glass-like smoothness. Because of this, Cherry finishes beautifully. The heartwood in Cherry is red in color, and the sapwood is light pink. Components made of Cherry generally consist of approximately 25% sapwood and 75% heartwood.

Cypress might also work, but is probably more expensive..

Beautiful work on the horns, Dave.

Throw another variable into the mix hardwood from northern states is denser than southern states because it grows slower so where the wood comes from also matters. I have some serious doubts about wood use but we shall see.

How about this
I have some bulletproof glass which is basically bulletproof acrylic and I have it in 1.5” thickness and I can bond them together to make as thick as possible
I would donate your a few pieces if you would make me a set for my H1’s speakers
Pm me if you would like to chat about this
This is a pic of a small peace that I’m using to hold my vap tanks
69039bc5c03a1a1602d461400e6621f6.jpg

Hi Carl,

Absolutely no interest in cutting plastic for these and while I MAY indulge a few requests of interest to me personally I do not want to get into the business of just cutting whatever someone has on hand. You might as well buy a set of Al ones from me because the vast majority of the cost is in the cutting time and helping to pay in a small way for the $95,000.00 mill. I have a different solution for you so look for a PM.

23 hours ago, Marvel said:

Just thinking ... a hard maple or a cherry. Pretty dense and machinable. Read this on a wood site about cherry:

Cherry wood is moderately heavy, hard, and strong, and it also machines and sands to glass-like smoothness. Because of this, Cherry finishes beautifully. The heartwood in Cherry is red in color, and the sapwood is light pink. Components made of Cherry generally consist of approximately 25% sapwood and 75% heartwood.

Cypress might also work, but is probably more expensive..

Beautiful work on the horns, Dave.

There is some very pretty wood a lot of people don't know about that is hard I have thought of. Osage Orange is dense and hard and fine grained and quite pretty as is Mulberry. Another I have thought of is Persimmon that they used to make golf clubs out of. Black locust is another and I have it lying around and it is hard and tough and lasts forever and is also pretty. But I don't envision ever doing much in this area except trying just to see and occasionally as a favor.

25 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Osage Orange is dense and hard and fine grained and quite pretty as is Mulberry. Another I have thought of is Persimmon that they used to make golf clubs out of. Black locust is another and I have it lying around and it is hard and tough and lasts forever and is also pretty. But I don't envision ever doing much in this area except trying just to see and occasionally as a favor.

I work at a company named "Orange Grove Center", as the original location was at an old school with an Osage Orange grove on the property. All of those woods would be beautiful.

Bruce

Your work is very impressive and I’m sure your product will improve sound a ton
I know this stuff is a pain to cut as it malts back on you as you cut it unless you use a coolant with the cutters
I’m going to make some turntable parts out of the stuff when I have time to use my brothers lathe and mill
But the offer is there for you if you ever want to try it for any other projects

• 2 weeks later...

Rec'd my pair just the other day.  Design, fit, and workmanship are impressive.  Temporarily mounted them to some acrylic triangles I cut up and set them on top of my 'Scalas for display ~ too nice to "hide" in the cabinet.  Difference in sound between these and the B&C horn practically indistinguishable to me, but then my ears are several decades old and a few -db down in sensitivity, so your results will very likely be different.  Even so, these are nice to look at and I will enjoy them for some time to come, or at least until the hardwood versions are issued!

IMG_1748.jpg.fcd959db8bba45ebd8211e8897a29893.jpg

~

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

@scalawag  You should slide those back to line them up with the mid drivers. With the mid and tweeter drivers aligned, there will be less/no smearing as the crossover does its job.

Bruce

Good comment, thanks.  However, my 'Scalas are fitted with Fastrac horns using A-55G drivers and are shorter than the K-400 in total length.  As such, I have the DE-120B HF drivers sitting fairly in alignment with the squawker drivers, though a bit outboard for experimental purposes.  

• Like 1