Pizza

Woofers and Tweeters

• Moderators
2 hours ago, dtr20 said:

We sometimes buy bobali?

I was wondering a while back if there was something out there like that, I need to try it. I have a wood grill/smoker that can get up to 400 degrees, would this work ? Or we have a never used pizza stone for the oven.

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

Pizza has started to be hard on my stomach. I suppose it’s the sauce. I’d be interested in exploring alternate sauces, if any exist.

There are, white sauces like garlic olive oil with artichoke and many others. BUT you mean to say the tomato sauce is messing with your stomach ? It's almost ketchup :o

51 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

no sauce is good, too.

A slight bit of olive oil is nice ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dtr20 said:

We sometimes buy bobali? pre made pizza crust and made our own pizza with that. Sometimes my wife makes pizza on the grill with store bought pizza dough. The grill pizza is pretty good, very different than traditional pizza.

A coworker's wife made a low carb pizza crust out of chicken breast. Not sure how she did it, but it was great. 

Here's one. 

https://fitmencook.com/low-carb-pizza/

We've been doing this for maybe six months. Easy to make and turns out quite well.

1 (.25 oz) package active dry yeast

1 t white suger

2 1/2 cups flour

1 cup warm water (110 degrees) - microwave for 60 seconds

2 T olive oil

1 t salt

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In medium bowl, dissolve yeast and suger in warm water. Let stand 10 mins until creamy. Add flour, salt, and oil and mix together. Let rest 5 mins. Roll dough - makes roughly 4 personal sized pizzas, or make them thicker if you like. Move onto a slightly greased pan, dusted with corn meal (optional, and really good!). Add sauce (we've been using organic canned) and toppings. bake 15-20 minutes.

We usually bake the crusts alone for about 6 minutes, add toppings, then bake for another 10 minutes. Makes for a crispier crust.

This is very close to the recipe in a Kitchen Aid mixer cook book. The pinch of sugar makes the yeast work better.

My wife and I make our sauce from scratch too. We ues a dry mix from a local grocery and then add to our tomatoes.
Commercial tomato sauces tends to add too much citric acid for my taste. Tomatoes are sweetest when vine ripened and should not need additional sugar. I prefer large roma tomatoes and buy 200-400 pounds a year at a produce auction.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

This will be tried. Charcoal or gas grill? 

Gas works, if you can get it hot enough get a pizza stone.  I have a Big Green Egg, the first run wasn't good as I should have done a clean burn.  After weeks/months of smoking meat, there was a fire and a lot of soot.  I have also used seasoned bricks in gas grill or you can got straight to the grates.

• Like 1

Pizza?

My grandmother [Sicilian]  pizza was mostly bread. Just enough sauce to hold the very light dusting of cheese and herbs. Normally baked, but stove top was not unusual. Cast iron pans ... gotta love 'em

I like more stuff ... hers were VERY good.

There are box mix pizza kits.  My mom used AppianWay. There are others.

Frozen bread dough is pretty good. I use that if available.

Pizza is good breakfast, Carl

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

Pizza?

My grandmother [Sicilian]  pizza was mostly bread. Just enough sauce to hold the very light dusting of cheese and herbs. Normally baked, but stove top was not unusual. Cast iron pans ... gotta love 'em

I like more stuff ... hers were VERY good.

There are box mix pizza kits.  My mom used AppianWay. There are others.

Frozen bread dough is pretty good. I use that if available.

Pizza is good breakfast, Carl

When I was little my mom would save some dough and make pizza fritte on the stove.  She'd fry some up and either make a mini pizza with sauce and cheese or just put cinnamon and sugar on them.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Chad said:

Why did you ruin a perfectly fine pizza with olives? GROSS :)

it's not gross.....just saute down

some onions...and kalamata olives

capers and anchovies...with tomato

sauce....

make a fresh dough......

add the sauce to your pizza...

and freshly grated...pecorino cheese.

and have some of your ice cold home brew......

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

now I want too try all of your brews !

I want a ice cold beer !

and some pizza !

I ship them out the beer forum members from time to time. I'd send you some....but didn't I read that you were on the wagon? Maybe I dreamt that.