Pizza

Woofers and Tweeters

1 hour ago, JJkizak said:

The worst pizza I ever had was in Naples, Italy in 1961.

JJK

That is so funny, the worst pizza i ever had was in the Columbus Ohio area..... Cracker crust with grease, and always to salty, or it was sloppy yet still very greasy.... but we all have different tastes thats why we all eat at different places....

The worst pizzas I had was when I was in college at RPI in Troy NY back in the late 70's.  All the pizza places anywhere near campus were the same. A thin, dry, tasteless crust, lousy sauce, and so greasy that if you tipped the box even slightly all the cheese and toppings would literally slide right off.

One thing we figured out there.  For a quick mini-pizza, split an english muffin, add some jar sauce, cheese and toppings, and pop it in the oven under the broiler.  Cheap and easy for college students, and actually pretty good if you use quality ingredients.

8 hours ago, Bobby Z said:

The worst pizzas I had was when I was in college at RPI in Troy NY back in the late 70's.  All the pizza places anywhere near campus were the same. A thin, dry, tasteless crust, lousy sauce, and so greasy

typical NYS   food in the 70's   ---------very greasy , NYC was really bad in the 70's , Souvlakis were made with meat  so fat ,  it was practically unsafe to consume -and people still ate it ------

I’m a big fan of cracker crust pizza lately, light in the cheese heavy on the goodies, A thai peanut chicken, or bbq pork with gouda chicken pesto? ohh yaaa! 

I want to attempt this with my grill using hardwood or charcoal.

After discovering this thread I definitely want to get back on this plan!!! 

Edited by INDY K
  • Like 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, INDY K said:

After discovering this thread I definitely want to get back on this plan!!! 

I don't know if you are from Indy or not ?

But we went years ago to visit a friend in Indy, on the South side of that loop thing and there was a little local pizza place that was really good. I wish I could remember the name, it's been years they might not be open anymore. 

On 8/5/2020 at 11:39 AM, Bobby Z said:

The worst pizzas I had was when I was in college at RPI in Troy NY back in the late 70's.  All the pizza places anywhere near campus were the same. A thin, dry, tasteless crust, lousy sauce, and so greasy that if you tipped the box even slightly all the cheese and toppings would literally slide right off.

One thing we figured out there.  For a quick mini-pizza, split an english muffin, add some jar sauce, cheese and toppings, and pop it in the oven under the broiler.  Cheap and easy for college students, and actually pretty good if you use quality ingredients.

You where once a troylet...😁

5 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

You where once a troylet...😁

Naw, I was an enganeer and chased sagies  The troylets were the people in the slummy area on the long hill between RPI (9-1 male/female ratio) and Russel Sage (women's nursing college).  They could make things interesting during the long drunken walks back to campus in the middle of the night.

• Haha 1

Shakeys Pizza!!

Cool we had one across from the K-Mart five blocks away when I was a kid it was good. But the Pasqualis that was there before that.... they had Chocolate Fudge Sundaes that I have never had one better since!

https://luisasbrickovenpizza.com/

Can't get them two for ten here but what you'd get is the best hand -tossed crust flavor and texture wise and superb toppings!

Forget the delivery places & I only eat pizza once or so a month now because it's over twenty to get it the way I like.

But It's Worth It!

On 8/8/2020 at 12:22 PM, artto said:

As far as I know, there's no such thing as Pizza outside a 75 mile radius of Chicago.

:tongue:👅

I am trying. 😎

I stayed in Glen Ellyn IL (~20 mile close to Chicago) several times starting in the 80s. It is there where I experienced how pizzas are supposed to be. When whole green olives and whole cherry tomatoes were only keeping pace with the other toppings, I knew that I would never like local from here pizzas again.