Homebrewing

Chad

• Administrators
19 hours ago, rplace said:

Looks great, Chad. I'm way behind on production this year. Hopefully you have motivated me to get rolling. This weekend St. Patrick's Day parade with my Port 'O Brew from above. But for sure the weekend of 3/24 grains will be heated and liquids will be boiled.

@CECAA850 It is a fantastic time waster and money suck. Get going. You already have the tunes covered in your shop, er brewery.

Be sure to share pics of your brew day!

Yes this hobby is rather pricey. I have been looking at what gear to buy for my batch size upgrade next year. I'm hoping to do a "buy once, cry once" kinda thing, so I don't have to make any more large purchases for brewing for many years. Spike Brewing (https://spikebrewing.com/) seems to have some good stuff at decent prices....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chad said:

Be sure to share pics of your brew day!

Yes this hobby is rather pricey. I have been looking at what gear to buy for my batch size upgrade next year. I'm hoping to do a "buy once, cry once" kinda thing, so I don't have to make any more large purchases for brewing for many years. Spike Brewing (https://spikebrewing.com/) seems to have some good stuff at decent prices....

I'll snap some of the next brew. I don't really find it as expensive as audio/video gear or bicycles and surely nothing like owning a boat.

You are approaching the hobby as I would if I had it to do all over again. Kegging off the bat is genius and going one and done with brewing kettles is the way to go. I can't tell you how many different stainless pots/kettles I've had over the years. Off the top of my head 3 gallon, 5 gallon, 7 gallon, 15 gallon, 26 gallon and 30 gallon. Some get repurposed into something useful but if you can bite the bullet and go big you can always brew smaller batches in the larger vessels. Too bad we were not closer, I have a 14 gallon heated/cooled conical that never gets used since I moved to such large batches. Just about as impossible to ship as khorns.

I was transferring beer to my smaller kegs for the SPD parade coming up. Snapped this quick picture below of my dispensing unit. It is a 1961 Perlick model. When I got it, it was infested with ants and all but falling apart. I put a new floor in it, tore the back completely off of it and rebuilt/reinsulated everything except the stainless skin. Replaced the cooling "thing" on the inside...I think it is called the evaporator. The outside "thing" (condenser I think) is the only original part from 1961 except the stainless body. I got ahold of a commercial outfit that does all the work for the Baltimore Ravens beer stands and this old seventy-some-year-old dude came to put the refrigerant in it. He got all choked up and nostalgic about it, told he how the new ones at the stadium last 2-3 years at best. A few weeks later; out of the blue he stopped by again and gave me a vintage faucet wrench with Perlick engraved on it. Said he had had it for about as long as the unit was old and wanted me to have it. Hard to believe a kegerator could bridge the generations.B)

Originally it housed  three 15.5G  kegs and had 3 towers/faucets.  I had the twin T-Towers made to my sepcs to dispense 8 beers. Only 4 on tap right now. Last tap is nitro. That is why you see the two tanks on the left. The first 4 are empty, thus I need to get brewing. Some of my awards from brewing comps on the wall. Almost ever proper glass as well. Just about anyone that visits with a Y chromosome thinks this thing is fantastic, while all the women look at my wife, roll their eyes and say "really, now guess what my jackass is going to want".

BrewBeast.thumb.jpg.47758d30576fdf7790b6ee034d5af88d.jpg

• Like 4

Sorry, not trip to Hope for this brewer. I'll gladly donate 5-gallons for "testing" if anyone is making a trip down I-95 you can pick it up. Pretty steep deposit on my Kegs and dispensing equipment. Might need to hold a speaker hostage to make sure I get the empty back. Heck I guess I could bottle up a case or two. Let's get that pony express thing figured out.

4 minutes ago, rplace said:

Sorry, not trip to Hope for this brewer. I'll gladly donate 5-gallons for "testing" if anyone is making a trip down I-95 you can pick it up. Pretty steep deposit on my Kegs and dispensing equipment. Might need to hold a speaker hostage to make sure I get the empty back. Heck I guess I could bottle up a case or two. Let's get that pony express thing figured out.

You can trust me...............:ph34r:

• Haha 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Davis said:

@Chadwhat is your fav brew pubs in the Indy area?

My local fave top 10 list (in no particular order):

Bier - no food served, but they consistently have a solid list of beers on tap.

Black Acre (might be my favorite overall in Indy)

Chilly Water

Big Lug

Brew Link (no food)

Deviate (no food - but some of the more creative beers around here)

Taxman

Scarlet Lane

Centerpoint

Moontown Brewing in Whitestown is an up & comer on my list. They just recently opened, but their food and beer are REALLY good. Plus they have Klipsch Professional speakers inside and outside the building!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chad said:

My local fave top 10 list (in no particular order):

Bier - no food served, but they consistently have a solid list of beers on tap.

Black Acre (might be my favorite overall in Indy)

Chilly Water

Big Lug

Brew Link (no food)

Deviate (no food - but some of the more creative beers around here)

Taxman

Scarlet Lane

Centerpoint

Moontown Brewing in Whitestown is an up & comer on my list. They just recently opened, but their food and beer are REALLY good. Plus they have Klipsch Professional speakers inside and outside the building!

i expected you to say that your basement is the best brewhouse in town.  for my entire life, i’ve been a Lager man.  I think  I kept the Moosehead brewery in business for decades.  Lately, I’ve been drinking Guinness Draught. Not of fan of their Extra Stout; but, the Draught is good.