Proper Ohm Tap for Chorus lls

...and an EICO HF-81???...I've usually defaulted to the 8 ohm setting but wondering if it should be set up differently...

I tried the 16 ohm setting and liked it...

currently (no pun intended) I am trying the 4 ohm tap...

Bill

most of the tube amps which I have owned which gad multi tap output transformers sounded best running on the highest impedance tap. The reason is simple and it makes sense. The multi tap output is a consumer pacifier marketing gimmick to give the buyer the confidence to purchase the amp. It is not a very good idea here's why; lets say the amp has a 4 and 8 ohm set of taps and you choose to use the 4 ohm taps that means that fully half of your secondary winding (output side) is totally un loaded and flapping in the breeze as it were. Much better to load the full secondary and use the 8 ohm tap. The difference in available current will be very little.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, moray james said:

The multi tap output is a consumer pacifier marketing gimmick to give the buyer the confidence to purchase the amp. It is not a very good idea here's why; lets say the amp has a 4 and 8 ohm set of taps and you choose to use the 4 ohm taps that means that fully half of your secondary winding (output side) is totally un loaded and flapping in the breeze as it were. Much better to load the full secondary and use the 8 ohm tap. The difference in available current will be very little.

Moray, I can't agree with this.  Differences in sound when trying the various impedance taps are caused by a slight shift in output stage distortion characteristics since the speaker impedance variations are reflected back to the opt primary.  In the case of the HF-81, the global fb loop is taken from the 16 ohm tap so that almost the entire secondary (there is also a 32 ohm tap if I recall correctly- please tell me if that is inaccurate) is "active."  And, of course, the nfb does make the output stage fairly immune to the impedance variations anyway.  It's simply a matter of using whichever tap provides the most pleasing sound with a particular speaker.  

Maynard 

• Like 4

I find that if you use a trantik emulation, supposed upon a third order divergence, coupled with a good lyric such as "Hey, Hey, Good By"

your inner gestalt will express itself in the middle of the astral plane, thus rendering "Louie, Louie" into the ultimate sonic expression it truly is.

If that's not too obtuse for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I find that if you use a trantik emulation, supposed upon a third order divergence, coupled with a good lyric such as "Hey, Hey, Good By"
your inner gestalt will express itself in the middle of the astral plane, thus rendering "Louie, Louie" into the ultimate sonic expression it truly is.

If that's not too obtuse for you.

Same here
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, silversport said:

can always count on this forum to be helpful...

It's Friday.  Some of the guys go into silly time after their nap if they try to post too soon before they have fully woken up. 

Tell @thebes there's no such thing as "trantic."  I Googled it.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, silversport said:

can always count on this forum to be helpful...

Pish, posh.  Such sarcasm from one so young.

Sure I had some imaginary words left over that I thought I'd use up.  But consider this, if one was to closely study, nay contemplate, the meaning, or meanings, of my scripture (er, words) one might attain a higher understanding of the cosmology of the chaotic realm of stereophila.

What can only follow is enlightenment, or better yet confusionment.

Or you could just switch taps and let your ears decide. Won't hurt  nothin, and the sonic differences are fun to explore, and will change if you change amps, for example. So if you have a new piece of gear in your lineup, always perform this experiment as part of the process of refining the qualities of your playback.

Or you could just worship at the sublime expression of "Louie, Louie".

Booriiiiiiiiiing.

• Like 1