Hersey with strange cut marks on back

Forte Too

I picked up a set of sight unseen Hersey's yesterday.  They were price right so I said ok.  I was out of the office when they were delivered.  They are consecutive S/N speakers, early 70's.  Here is my question, on the back of one of the speakers, it appears that someone tried to remove the back panel and could not, so they used a skill saw to cut out the joint.  I guess they assumed the joint was glued and they wanted to cut out the glue area where the back meets the sides.  Looks like they glued it back with either an expanding glue, like gorilla glue or foam.  The back is flush and you can't tell from the front.  It just bothers me.  Has anyone else seen this.  Now I want to take the back off to see if the drivers have been replace.  Also I noticed last night when I carried the speaker into the house, I had the speaker horns pointed towards the ceiling when I was carrying them, and there was something loose inside the other speaker.  It's not loose when the speaker is sitting correctly on the ground, only when it is pointed towards the ceiling.  How are the crossovers mounted inside the Hersey?  What else could it be?  The cones & horns seem tight. 

If the drivers were mounted from the front, the back shouldn't come off.  If it's a H1, the crossovers are mounted to a board which is screwed into the cabinet.  If it's a H2, the crossover is built on to the back of the terminal cup.  A picture is worth a thousand words.

On 3/10/2018 at 6:12 AM, pzannucci said:

Glued?

It appears so.  :angry:  I cannot get the backs off.  I think the bass response is the amp.  I played them with my MA6500 and they sounded fine.  I brought them home and hooked them up to a Marantz 2330 B and the bass response is really there.  Completely overpowering the speaker.  I had to cut the base almost completely out.  Not sure why....