Got SUBS for my La Scalas!!

JohnKuthe

I bought this MONSTER speaker thing off a guy on Craigslist

28661271_1694104653983341_56504097886521

Two 15" drivers (speaker wires to each) and two midrange/tweeter driver/horn on one speaker wire that I am not using.

And I only have the two 15" drivers on Speaker B on my amp, so I can drive either or both the La Scalas and/or the two 15" subs!

But I DO have a second amp and I might separately amp the subs from the La Scalas. Something to play with LOUD! Yay!

John Kuthe...

10 minutes ago, dtel said:

That's different, but they are probably just bass not subs ? I say this because no one puts a mid and tweeter driver in a sub.

I have NO IDEA who built this SUB Monster box! Probably some Meth Head in Southern STL County or into Jefferson County MO.

But I am VERY HAPPY it sounds SO GOOD TO ME with the La Scalas! I know I need to play with this Sub thing to OPTIMIZE, but just "out of the box" it sounds pretty good and LOUD too! I was playing  "What I say?" off Miles Davis' Live-Evil album, and WOW!! I was playing my Djembe to it too! LOUD!! Cool! :-)

John Kuthe...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dtel said:

That's different, but they are probably just bass not subs ? I say this because no one puts a mid and tweeter driver in a sub.

I agree with Dtel, what you have is probably not a sub which typically plays that lowest octave down to about 20 Hz.  That looks like a full-range 3-way speaker with a couple of 15" woofers. 

Going by your reaction a better description for the way you are using them would be Mid Bass Modules (MBM).  They are not very popular as a free standing enclosure but I've seen people make DIY MBM's.  They don't give you the ultra-low sound for explosions in movies, but they really deliver with authority in the that chest slam frequency in music which is why people like them.

16 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I agree with Dtel, what you have is probably not a sub which typically plays that lowest octave down to about 20 Hz.  That looks like a full-range 3-way speaker with a couple of 15" woofers. 

Going by your reaction a better description for the way you are using them would be Mid Bass Modules (MBM).  They are not very popular as a free standing enclosure but I've seen people make DIY MBM's.  They don't give you the ultra-low sound for explosions in movies, but they really deliver with authority in the that chest slam frequency in music which is why people like them.

Exactly, the 15"ers are getting a full range signal, but NOT band limited at all. For right now.

But I JUST GOT THEM, so the "playing with them" begins! :-)

John Kuthe...

19 minutes ago, jason str said:

Pull one of those woofers so we can get some information on what drivers you have there, maybe they can be used for subwoofer duty or maybe not.

I don't WANNA!

But I took a close pic, and you can barely make out "ProStudio" on the 15" drivers' center caps.

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/28783285_1694257080634765_2485420496712105984_n.jpg?_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeFjaGY1WhaU4jvTTs2b-dIvDIktIm2x7stQxsmf5Afdxxdfcxtl_zNCTzta2aiUzS5RMScPpCVIigbO4RJedQS6aNX6R0l8mip6HDHIw7BeOg&oh=0ac6d7647d296c0bc0e3fb600a95e0b1&oe=5B40FF5A

I'm gonna Google them! And I CAN use them for whatever I WANT! I was in the band Cheep Effects, remember? 1979.

John Kuthe...

3 hours ago, dtel said:

Yep! The are low freq full range I'm sure! Not specifically SUBwoofer drivers. But I don't care! I just have them connected and operational , now begins separate the process of optimization! Separate amping of La Scalas and "subwoofer" and low band limit the sub amp! Then I can adjust the sub amp separately for say Reggae!, UP!

John Kuthe...

• Moderators

That's funny Thaddeus.

John If your liking how it sounds, nothing wrong with that, and I I don't remember much from the 70's. :blush:

I listen to alot of reggae, it seems if anything I sometimes turn down the sub a little, it sometimes has crazy amounts of bass, but the speakers being used has no shortage of bass and sub bass to start with.

If you ever do look into a sub try a horn sub, diy is fine, these will put out alot of bass since you like it loud, it would add alot to what your hearing.

4 hours ago, dtel said:

That's funny Thaddeus.

John If your liking how it sounds, nothing wrong with that, and I I don't remember much from the 70's. :blush:

I listen to alot of reggae, it seems if anything I sometimes turn down the sub a little, it sometimes has crazy amounts of bass, but the speakers being used has no shortage of bass and sub bass to start with.

If you ever do look into a sub try a horn sub, diy is fine, these will put out alot of bass since you like it loud, it would add alot to what your hearing.

Oh, I'm sure there's a LOT about the 70's I don't remember too, but I remember a LOT! Like how Klipsch speakers are the ULTIMATE and a LOT of other stuff! And yes any electrical sound system is fine as long as the listener LIKES it, but I know about things like flat correctness,  variations on flat EQ graph and one enhanced by preference like many "Loudness" setting which basically boost low bass freqs, etc. I also know about parametric equalizers which allow the user to not only move the center freq boosted or attenuated but also the width of the response altering curve. I learned about all this stuff my reading free manufacturer's literature I mailed away for! I had a whole PILE of stuff from manufacturers equipment I COULD NOT AFFORD TO BUY AS A TEEN! And I learned a LOT from it all.

This is gonna be FUN to play with the system I have! :-)

John Kuthe...

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2018 at 7:04 PM, JohnKuthe said:

I THINK I have it DIALED IN!! Or close!

Pic of my La Scalas and the Bigassed Speaker on separate amp and equalizer

John Kuthe...

Ugh! I Killed the Equalizer in that pic and chose to re architectect my whole system, biamping it and running lomg low loss RCA cables from a central preamp to two power amps. And that is being challenging to make work correctly. :-(

John  Kuthe...