Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
timdog5000

Picking up my new sub tomorrow

Recommended Posts

 I have been extremely happy with my two SVS PB12/2plus, However,  and there’s always a however in life. I found myself listening to movies at +5 in music at +8 on the AVR with the gain at 11 o’clock on the subs . So I was  pushing them harder than I want to. I’m on a concrete slab in the basement so that’s a big bass sucker right there. Decided to go with a JTR 4000ULF. 

I’m a fan of subwoofers in pairs, but won’t be able to get another one for another 10 months to   Even out frequency response.  Another sub, not another 4000ulf.  I’m worried that it will be pretty localizable  if that is a word. But as excited as I am right now I won’t care for a while I’m sure . Never had opportunity to even listen to 18’s so  i’m hoping it’s a whole new ballpark. (I take that back, Scrappy has offered for me to  come take a listen numerous times to his awesome system and he is only a few hours away. THANKS SCRAPPY!!)   But I digress, I’m looking forward to see how much different it sounds in my room and what ultra low frequencies sound like(FEEL like, I should say).  I’ll post some more after I have a listen, it’s about a 6 Hour Drive there  so won’t get home till a little later in the evening but I’m sure I will still be hooking it up .

 Talk to you gents on the flip-flop !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, timdog5000 said:

 I’m worried that it will be pretty localizable

Just cross it as low as you can and you'll be fine.  Congrats on the new sub!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

Just cross it as low as you can and you'll be fine.  Congrats on the new sub!!!!

 I have three rf-7ii Upfront, I usually just cross everything over at 80 would you suggest lower?

Unfortunately my AVR will not allow different crossover points  even though it was not exactly a cheap unit 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, timdog5000 said:

I have three rf-7ii Upfront, I usually just cross everything over at 80 would you suggest lower?

Unfortunately my AVR will not allow different crossover points  even though it was not exactly a cheap unit 

Sounds like I could recommend it but you couldn't implement it.  With 3 RF-7's across the front I'd go maybe 50 or 60.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

Sounds like I could recommend it but you couldn't implement it.  With 3 RF-7's across the front I'd go maybe 50 or 60.

 Thanks Carl,

 Sometimes I think of switching to a different AVR but it’s working perfectly fine and I know it inside and out so I have been hesitant. I have six kids, four still at home so springing for this sub was not an easy choice Thanks to a bigger than usual income tax check and a wife who loves the room  as much as me  I was able to get it as a subwoofer that I will die with . But I’m hoping to try REW and a UMIK And see if I can tame this puppy to wear it sounds good :-)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

What up Tim Dog! is this the sub your kids plan to bury you in?

Didnt we have a conversation like that now that I’m thinking about it :-)  I remember all too well now.  Still wish I could’ve made the LaScalas happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, timdog5000 said:

Didnt we have a conversation like that now that I’m thinking about it :-)  I remember all too well now.  Still wish I could’ve made the LaScalas happen.

I would think that 3 LS's across the front and that new sub would be hard to beat. Did that guy end up selling them or did you get cold feet? Regardless, your system will still be great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, timdog5000 said:

what ultra low frequencies sound like(FEEL like, I should say).

No experience with the sub you are getting but with my recently acquired SVS PB-4000s I can feel the effects on the toilet two rooms away at fairly low (around 75db average continuous) volume for movie watching and they are in a cavernous area.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, USNRET said:

No experience with the sub you are getting but with my recently acquired SVS PB-4000s I can feel the effects on the toilet two rooms away at fairly low (around 75db average continuous) volume for movie watching and they are in a cavernous area.

That would sure help shake things loose :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, timdog5000 said:

That would sure help shake things loose :)

Seriously, I went from one SVS PB12/ Plus 2 (I always screw that numbering convention up so..) to two PSA XS30SE to current  dual SVS PB4000s
I feel the entire house pressurized at med level volume it is amazing. Efficient Klipsch and SVS  fill the cubics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MookieStl said:

I would think that 3 LS's across the front and that new sub would be hard to beat. Did that guy end up selling them or did you get cold feet? Regardless, your system will still be great.

 He never wound up trading the VOTT’s for them. But it will all work out I’m sure it will sound awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, USNRET said:

Seriously, I went from one SVS PB12/ Plus 2 (I always screw that numbering convention up so..) to two PSA XS30SE to current  dual SVS PB4000s
I feel the entire house pressurized at med level volume it is amazing. Efficient Klipsch and SVS  fill the cubics

 Sounds like a winning combo,  I really like the new look of the SVS. If it wasn’t for a few people telling me I need to try 18’s   I would’ve bought the PB4000’s also. Its a solid choice!👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, timdog5000 said:

I found myself listening to movies at +5 in music at +8 on the AVR with the gain at 11 o’clock on the subs .

Just a friendly suggestion, be careful and pay attention to what your ears are telling you.  If you start to get some ringing dial it back so that hearing loss isn't permanent.

 

6 hours ago, timdog5000 said:

I have three rf-7ii Upfront, I usually just cross everything over at 80 would you suggest lower?

Unfortunately my AVR will not allow different crossover points  even though it was not exactly a cheap unit 

 

Your signature says you have an RC-64.  Did you sell it, and how did you find a single RF-7 II?

 

You have a nice Yamaha AVR with a good room correction software.  What does YPAO set your speakers to in terms of XO?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Just a friendly suggestion, be careful and pay attention to what your ears are telling you.  If you start to get some ringing dial it back so that hearing loss isn't permanent.

 

 

Your signature says you have an RC-64.  Did you sell it, and how did you find a single RF-7 II?

 

You have a nice Yamaha AVR with a good room correction software.  What does YPAO set your speakers to in terms of XO?

 yes, my ears probably are toast by now. As far as I can see it shows RF sevens upfront on my side I don’t know why it shows different to everybody else , Here is a pic, Here is a pic

5625657E-FCEF-473D-8403-06DAB10C5E64.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, timdog5000 said:

yes, my ears probably are toast by now. As far as I can see it shows RF sevens upfront on my side I don’t know why it shows different to everybody else , Here is a pic.

To update your Signature:

 

Upper right, do NOT click on your Avatar.  Instead click on your Name with the upside down triangle.

 

Then go to Account Settings ---> Signature

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

To update your Signature:

 

Upper right, do NOT click on your Avatar.  Instead click on your Name with the upside down triangle.

 

Then go to Account Settings ---> Signature

Thank you sir, I think I got it now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

B111462C-BDC8-4CA9-BD9C-44366E578B40.thumb.jpeg.bb27c77416aa19a7dd5673fc82867201.jpeg

On a furniture dolly here when I was picking it up. Its mich bigger in person than I thought. Reminds me of how I first felt when I seen my Rf-7ii’s the first time.  My wife and I drove up to pick it up, I never have to worry about WAF with her bit she did think it was huge.  I was so excited my mouth was moving a mile a minute I couldn’t stop yapping.   Jeff and I were loading it into my truck and I had it at a weird angle and I heard a pop and wound up ripping a bicep tendon from my shoulder. Not exactly how I wanted the day to go, but about parr for the course for someone Murphy’s Law seems to follow. I was honestly afraid to look at it because it felt so weird. I didn’t look at it till I went to bed and seeing that my bicep was hanging down toward my elbow. Surprisingly not a lot of pain. Despite all that I definitely hooked it up that night after my one of my sons and three of his friends wrestled it inside and down to the basement.  Felt guilty not being able to help and just give direction.   it’s in a resting place right now not sure if it wind up there . Not ready to give any type of review at this point I have not been able to spend a lot of time with it. I did however, throw on a few movie scenes just to see what she could do with some basic calibration. I have three words that come immediately to mind... Holy S@#t balls!! 

Can’t wait to see what today brings,  it will be the first time I’ll be able to spend more than an hour with it .

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, that's huge! Sorry for your injury but you've got some serious medication!

 

Enjoy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TasDom said:

Wow, that's huge! Sorry for your injury but you've got some serious medication!

 

Enjoy!

 Thank you, that’s life in the big city. Seems like something goes wrong At every road trip to pick up an addition to the room.  You’re right, it’s good bass therapy!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...