Anti- Intellectualism

oldtimer

When do you think it started, how, and why?  It seems we used to have intellectuals on all sides, and they were respected for their thoughts whether agreed or disagreed with.  Now we ae reduced to the incessant banter of cheerleaders mainly spouting empty slogans or "talking points" and a general disdain of real examinations of issues.  The cheerleader will simply make a statement, then assume that as truth, which logically leads to a predetermined and usually fallacious conclusion.  The thoughts of this esteemed forum are welcome.

Well, let's consider the age in which we live. The internet connects all, instantly. Universal access gives everyone an equal voice. So, I ask how are we to tell who are the intellectuals? The ones who shout the loudest? The ones who post the most? The ones who have to most followers? The ones who seem the most outrageous? The ones who are good at inciting online angst? 

Beats me, I'm just here to enjoying a hobby.... 

• Like 2

The question is not restricted to online.  Interesting points cincy, but not quite on target.  If we can't even tell who they are, then my question is magnified in the sense that anti-intellectualism has become completely embedded.  We all enjoy the hobby, the hobby is irrelevant to the discussion.

Personally, I think it started before the social network known as the internet.

36 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

The question is not restricted to online.  Interesting points cincy, but not quite on target.  If we can't even tell who they are, then my question is magnified in the sense that anti-intellectualism has become completely embedded.  We all enjoy the hobby, the hobby is irrelevant to the discussion.

Personally, I think it started before the social network known as the internet.

And there you go. I present my thoughts and you spurn them as off topic. Please share your thoughts so we may do the same. 

See, it’s too easy to react. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

So he can spurn you back.  

The people laughed till she said, "Spurn!"
Warning came, no one cared 
Earth was shakin', we stood and stared 
When it came no one was spared 
Still I hear "Spurn!"

Hard to spurn ideas that have no form.

1 minute ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Spurned again!  Oldie, you are the Spurn-inator!

Funny.  You're close, but still a fence sitter.  So far, as you can tell, I have indicted all sides, so it is logical that ad hominems will come from everywhere.  

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

Cute.  Yet you say I spurned yours, and what was the form?  Answering a question with a question.  I think you just might be an intellectual.

It's all in a sentence. I think you're a bright guy but, for the comments you write here. You do see how the but negates the preceding praise? 

Questions aren't meant to provide an answers. They are meant to help find answers. Isn’t intellectualism a trained way of thinking? 

Sorry, more questions. 

• Haha 1