Anti- Intellectualism

oldtimer

55 minutes ago, garyrc said:

Didn't Lao Tzu talk about letting every stone roll down its hill? 

Yes. And that "The bow that does not bend is soon broken." As opposed to purely religious texts, Lao Tzu is clear, concise, and more physics than metaphysics. 

Dave

• Like 1

On 3/12/2018 at 11:40 AM, Jeff Matthews said:

What other reason, besides making money, do nations try to control the world?

Peter Druker, in The Concept of the Corporation (I think), talked about the [typical] corporate structure being organized to concentrate power, rather than to facilitate high function, or general goodness.  It was an organization similar in structure to the Roman Empire.  Some corporations and many nations are still organized that way, and power, adulation of people at the top, and privilege, are among the reasons besides making money that nations act as they do.  Money is just one way to keep score.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2018 at 9:09 PM, garyrc said:

What has been will be again

What has been done will be done again;

There is nothing new under the sun ...

David Byrne simplified that with 76.2% fewer words, 78.1% fewer vowels, and 83.3% few consonants.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's not just a matter of being against the intellectual approach, it is also expressed in a complete lack of interest in backing up statements.  It is far more common today than I remember in the past that someone will make a statement, then basing the statement as truth (some will say belief, which is worse) go on to make conclusions that are logically going to be erroneous when based on erroneous posits.  For example, this was put forth in a different forum:

"Another thing I'd mention is the general history of false flag events. There's a ton of them but always its a case of nothing to see here, and in recent times "shut up conspiracy theorist". One by one, a few events come to light as false flaggers, well fancy that."

The response is OK, list them.  What are these false flag events as now exposed and proven?  The answer?  The answer is always the same----silence.  There is never a list,  there is never a counter.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

It's not just a matter of being against the intellectual approach, it is also expressed in a complete lack of interest in backing up statements.  It is far more common today than I remember in the past that someone will make a statement, then basing the statement as truth (some will say belief, which is worse) go on to make conclusions that are logically going to be erroneous when based on erroneous posits.

Yes.  As I have said before, because of broad communication technologies, everyone has a way to post their opinion somewhere.  Sometimes the opinions are from morons.  Tougher to separate wheat from chaff.

I've read it somewhere before that in an age where we have essentially the world's collected knowledge in our pockets, we choose to send funny cat pictures.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oldtimer said:

It's not just a matter of being against the intellectual approach, it is also expressed in a complete lack of interest in backing up statements.  It is far more common today than I remember in the past that someone will make a statement, then basing the statement as truth (some will say belief, which is worse) go on to make conclusions that are logically going to be erroneous when based on erroneous posits.

Wow! :huh: (I know) It's time for bed and I just got done getting frustrated over seeing an interesting discussion had been locked since I visited and TOTALLY missed this one. I looked at the initial post and then clicked on page 8 and am almost scared to read the pages in between (may do so in the morning because it seems really interesting) because it seems intellectual discussion is being dissuaded on this forum. :unsure: When that happens the other side wins. :pwk_bs:

9 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

it seems intellectual discussion is being dissuaded on this forum

You've come to the wrong conclusion.  If that were the case this thread would be locked.  Of course, it this thread turns political or racial for example it will be locked as well.

As I understand it, it is forbidden to talk about topics which people politicize.  That means foreign policy, domestic policy, raising kids, shooting guns, smoking grass, being gay, economics, taxes and who knows what?  The usual trigger word is "liberal."  Inevitably, someone here will post that word, and as soon as they do, we come to find out we've been discussing politics.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

As I understand it, it is forbidden to talk about topics which people politicize.  That means foreign policy, domestic policy, raising kids, shooting guns, smoking grass, being gay, economics, taxes and who knows what?  The usual trigger word is "liberal."  Inevitably, someone here will post that word, and as soon as they do, we come to find out we've been discussing politics.

Typically anything divisive will do it.  Intelligent discussions are fine.  I don't know why anyone would think otherwise.

• Confused 1