CD player question

wuzzzer

Currently I have a bottom of the line Sony 5 disc CD changer hooked up via optical digital to my Pioneer receiver.  As a result, I'm obviously using the DACs in the Pioneer.

A while back I had a couple different Cambridge Audio CD players that I really liked.  Do you think I could get better sound from getting another one and using its RCA outputs so that I'm using the DAC in the player?

Thinking of picking one up in the $200 to $300 range.  Either a brand new Topaz series player or an older preowned unit.

I should add, the sound I'm getting from my current setup is excellent.  However there's always room for improvement, right?

3 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Currently I have a bottom of the line Sony 5 disc CD changer hooked up via optical digital to my Pioneer receiver.  As a result, I'm obviously using the DACs in the Pioneer.

A while back I had a couple different Cambridge Audio CD players that I really liked.  Do you think I could get better sound from getting another one and using its RCA outputs so that I'm using the DAC in the player?

Thinking of picking one up in the $200 to $300 range.  Either a brand new Topaz series player or an older preowned unit.

I should add, the sound I'm getting from my current setup is excellent.  However there's always room for improvement, right?

I am fond of dedicated CD players and currently own a few and have owned some nice ones in the past.

Here is a used CA 650C in Michigan for a nice price.  I owned the 640C and would still own it if I had not gotten the 840C.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649370649-cambridge-audio-azur-650c-cd-playertransport-black-version/

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, willland said:

I am fond of dedicated CD players and currently own a few and have owned some nice ones in the past.

Here is a used CA 650C in Michigan for a nice price.  I owned the 640C and would still own it if I had not gotten the 840C.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649370649-cambridge-audio-azur-650c-cd-playertransport-black-version/

Bill

Thanks Bill!  I think that's the one I'll get!!

• Like 1

I ended up buying the 650C.  The independent DACs for each channel and online reviews helped.  Thanks for the suggestion Bill!  Looking forward to getting it.

Yes, I'm a rare individual who still listens to CDs.  It will be nice to discover my collection again!  My RB-5s have opened up a whole new world of sound so it will be awesome to expand it even more.

• Like 4

I think there are more of us than you think. I’m CDs most of the time with some digital radio through the Apple TV (Jazz FM), out of Toronto. Best Jazz station in Canada. When we lived in Ontario our dial rarely moved. Just don’t have the the passion or funds to go back to vinyl. Switched over to CDs back in the mid 80s and am more than satisfied.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2018 at 7:04 PM, wuzzzer said:

I ended up buying the 650C.  The independent DACs for each channel and online reviews helped.  Thanks for the suggestion Bill!  Looking forward to getting it.

Yes, I'm a rare individual who still listens to CDs.  It will be nice to discover my collection again!  My RB-5s have opened up a whole new world of sound so it will be awesome to expand it even more.

Eons ago I lead shot filled my Sanus stands. Heavy mass stands tightened up the mid bass. Still use the stands and RB5S for remote parties.

I don't know how rare it is, but I love my optical collection.... It's sounds PHENOMENAL with my setup.

I've struggled with getting top tier playback from a mass storage devices that house's digital files because it's comes down to, imho, the interface with the storage device and the DAC. I've never invested in an audiophile grade HD player/device because they always come with their own conversion protocol that is impossible to bypass and I want to use my own external digital to analog mechanism.

I am very happy with sacd hdcd DVD-a bluray and CD!

11 hours ago, Audio Flynn said:

Eons ago I lead shot filled my Sanus stands. Heavy mass stands tightened up the mid bass. Still use the stands and RB5S for remote parties.

Interestingly enough I just filled my stands with fine playground sand a few days ago.  I, too, noticed more mid-bass, mainly with male voices and bass guitar.

Well the seller shipped the player with a signature required so I've been sitting at home all day waiting for delivery.  This is getting boring.  It's coming via UPS so hopefully it won't be completely destroyed when it arrives.

WildWilly_UPS.jpg?1408129824

4 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

Well the seller shipped the player with a signature required so I've been sitting at home all day waiting for delivery. 

I used to do that with all my deliveries until I had this ingenious idea to have gear shipped to my place of work.  No more taking time off to "meet" Fed Ex or UPS driver and guaranteed signature at delivery.

Patience my friend, patience.:P

Bill

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TasDom said:

Isn't it amazing how many more cars / trucks you hear when waiting?

I live on one of the busiest residential streets in town.  I must have jumped up about 50 times today every time I heard a truck go by.  🚚

And it's finally here!  I'm going to go run a couple errands while it warms up from the Minnesota winter temps and fire it up a little later this evening.

• Haha 1