Heresy I - Troubleshooting

Canuck

Hey Klipsch Fans! 

I have scoured the forums looking for the information that I am asking now. I am sure that it is there but I have both looked hard and I have been looking casually for an answer for a couple weeks now so... here it goes...

I picked up my first pair of Klipsch Heresy I in Oiled Walnut. The speakers seem to be in great shape and have all the original components as you'd hope. 

One speaker I am sure has an issue with the K-77 Round Magnet Tweeter. I went out and bought myself a little multi-meter and took measurements from the offending tweeter. It measures well. Right around 6ohms and and stable continuity. 

What I have experienced with the tweeter is that it simply doesn't put anything out. I tried a 20 hz  - 20khz YouTube video and tested both speakers and I am sure that this speaker worked up to the point of the tweeter, where it full stop didn't work (no buzzing, no hizz, no crackle, just silent). The other speaker performed flawlessly.

So now my question is this:
Could the tweeter be blown and the driver still measure correctly? 
Do you think this could simply be that the crossover is 40+ years old? Do you think the crossover could completely stop an incoming signal? 
What could I check? 

I am worried that by checking I could then damage a perfectly good diaphragm and waste time and money. 

Thank you everyone for your time. I am by no means an expert but do I ever love the sound of these Heresy Speakers! 

Welcome to the forum.  First and foremost loosen and retighten all the screws on the barrier strips.  If you're still having issues, post a picture of the crossover for us to look at.  Also, you can swap tweeters in the cabinets to double check the operation of the questionable tweeter.  Troubleshooting is pretty easy if you have one properly working speaker you can swap components with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

Canuck: Canada is a small country... any chance you are in Calgary? I have some spare E crossover parts and a bit of experience so if by chance you are in Calgary I’d be willing to help.

thanks! 

It sure is tiny... I am in Edmonton. ;) Haha.

Thanks! I appreciate it. I will be moving to Calgary this summer. My girlfriend has her practicum at the Hospital there. I hope to have the speakers up and running before that though... 

I just tightened the barrier strip / terminals and I am going to try and test it out. Some of them did seem a bit loose so this might be the ticket. 

I am planning on making a purchase from Crites and I wanted to simply order once rather than multiple times. If it is just the crossover than there is that, if I need new diaphrams maybe I would just buy new drivers.... trying to sort it out. I have a tech here that I go to, I was just hoping to be able to do this myself. 

If you have the original oil can capacitors you will want to replace them, Mr Crites can help with that. Check wires on the capacitors as well look for any sign of corrosion or leaks. If the caps have been updated, check for loose connection at the cap end, post your terminal strip check. 

Thank you so much @CECAA850 !!!!!

Tightening the connections made everything function. I am so glad that I won't have to replace the tweeters or the diaphragm as that is an added cost and I'd imagine that it further drives the price down as they are no longer all original (not that I am looking to sell them, although I think I would love to buy a new pair of Heresy III's if I continue loving these as much as I do... 

@MC39693 Everything is original including the oil can capacitors... so I will need to decide what to do. I like the idea of getting Bob Crites to do the work since he has such vast experience with these speakers, although shipping a crossover back and forth from Canada to the USA will likely be expensive not to mention that I would be without these speakers for at least two weeks, I'd expect... So I guess the next best thing would be to buy a whole new crossover from him so I can ensure that the crossover measures how it is supposed to. I have a tech here in Edmonton who is really good but doesn't have experience with this particular speaker and I have no idea how I would ensure that the correct measurements were achieved...

So everything works and now all I need to do is to replace the parts on the crossovers and buy the risers.

Good to hear. Yes landing US sourced gear here is plenty expensive. If you don’t want to build an E crossover (about as easy as they come) then buying a set from Bob is a good way to go. I have had parts shipped to a place in US I was visiting then saved on customs and shipping brining it back myself.  Enjoy your Heresy.

• Thanks 1

You should listen to them a while before changing the crossover.  While the odds are they will need new capacitors, make them prove that before you change things.

They should not sound remote (reserved) or polite.  The musicians should sound like they are in the room in front of the Heresies, or forward sounding, even a little bright, especially if they are off the floor. 

• Thanks 1

They sound a LOT better now that I tightened up all the connections... 

I am kinda blown away.  

I guess the one thing I would be concerned about is one of the oil caps pissing oil all over my beautiful speakers... but honestly I am sure it would miss the woofer... 

Holy shit these things sound good. Lots of attack (PRaT) and clear as a bell. They don't sound veiled or muddled. I like "bright" so I am not too sensitive to this but they sound pretty forward and clear. I might just wait on the crossovers... 

Any harm in waiting to replace the capacitors? 

No harm in waiting and listening to your now working Heresy. Mine were pristine inside but I built a set of crossovers with new parts and they are even better now.  I am sure Bob’s crossovers would improve yours too. Lots of small cost updates you can do too; seal the interior seams, motor board, rear panel, change to binding posts, interior wiring, all pretty cost effective and easy. Good fun for long cold Edmonton winter nights.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

UPDATE: 

I purchased a Musical Paradise MP-301 Tube Integrated Amplifier and they are making the Klipsch Heresy speakers sing. I really love this amplifier and highly recommend it. I am currently using NOS RCA 6S7N black metal tubes with new Tung-Sol 7581A tubes. Stunning. 

I haven't yet updated the crossovers but the caps I was going to purchase were the Arizona Blue Cactus 2.2uF. They looked to be the perfect match. 

I recently found some Heresy III's on the used market and I am hoping my parents are willing to pick them up for me on their summer drive. Hopefully I will see them by next weekend ! ! ! ! Fingers crossed.  I really love the Heresy sound. I am still dreaming of owning a pair of Zu Speakers but I currently cannot afford/justify the shipping from the USA into Canada. These new Klipsch Heresy III speakers might do the trick for now. I am looking forward to the cleaner aesthetic and the magnetic grills.