Yamaha RX-V995 and Klipsch RF-3 speakers, too bright, help please

EZsmoke

Hi I'm new to the forum and have been away from home stereo music listening for years. I have unboxed my old Yamaha RX-V995, Yamaha YP-701 tt with a Shure V-15 Type III cartridge ( new $100 stylus), a crap JVC cd player and Klipsch RF-3 speakers. I am listening to mainly lp's and cd's in 2 channel. The room is 15 x 20. The sound is ok but seems to bright and causing ear fatigue. I don't remember it being this way. I have recently at age 60 suffered a VAD/with stroke (from weightlifting) and before i check out i feel the need to hear some good music. I am willing to replace any of the components except the speakers unless i absolutely have to. Was seeking input on this. Could maybe get a new or used integrated amp and defiantly a new CD player. I believe the RX-V995 has a good DAC in it. Sorry if this is confusing, thats the world my head is currently in alway feel dazed and confused.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Welcome, and sorry to hear about your accident.

That is a home theater receiver, just make sure there are none of the effects for HT changing the sound. Is the room bright as in alot of hard surfaces with many reflections ? Clapping your hands seem to echo more than normal ? To start a rug in front of the speakers can help if this is a problem along with other soft sound dampening things in the room. I say this because you said you didn't remember it being like this, different room?

Other can help when they see this, if all else fails maby sell the Yamaha and get something a little warmer, you don't have to spend alot in many cases.

• Like 1

The room is carpeted.  I would sell the yammy and am  looking for suggestions on a good used  integrated amp/ receiver that would pair with these speakers.   I am only using this set up for music listening.

Edited by EZsmoke

• Moderators
4 hours ago, EZsmoke said:

The room is carpeted.

That's good, that would help alot. If we don't get some other advice we can start another thread asking about  stereo receivers that could help you with the brightness. It's sometimes slow on the weekend.

I will change your question and see if that gets some help. If you don't want or like the change PM me and I will change it back, no problem.

Just want some other amp ideas or ways to fix the problem. If people notice it they will help.

The issue probably is not that Yamaha, although I recommend a stereo receiver or integrated for music. Look at offerings from Integra and Marantz for that mission. You won't be disappointed.

You will almost certainly benefit from upgrading or replacing the crossovers in your RF-3s. The sound difference likely comes from old caps on the RF-3. Bob Crites sells upgraded drop in crossovers now for the 3 though if soldering isn't your bag.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, dtel said:

That's good, that would help alot. If we don't get some other advice we can start another thread asking about  stereo receivers that could help you with the brightness. It's sometimes slow on the weekend.

I will change your question and see if that gets some help. If you don't want or like the change PM me and I will change it back, no problem.

Just want some other amp ideas or ways to fix the problem. If people notice it they will help.

I really appreciate your help with this thread.

Don’t go rushing to spend your money. Adjust the placement, including the toe in, of your speakers to your taste. Utilize the tone controls of your receiver. Those two things will fix the majority of issues and don’t cost a dime. And are immediately reversible. Don’t look for the most difficult to implement solutions. Keep it simple. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Frzninvt said:

Some of Yamaha's offerings have been historically bright with Klipsch speakers.

This has been my experience also... though it may have probably been a combination of things that conspired to create the annoying sound.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, The History Kid said:

The issue probably is not that Yamaha, although I recommend a stereo receiver or integrated for music. Look at offerings from Integra and Marantz for that mission. You won't be disappointed.

You will almost certainly benefit from upgrading or replacing the crossovers in your RF-3s. The sound difference likely comes from old caps on the RF-3. Bob Crites sells upgraded drop in crossovers now for the 3 though if soldering isn't your bag.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Was up way to late last night following a couple of thread on the replacing of the old caps.  Was very impressed with what was being done in those threads.  I am certainly not as capable as those fellows (especially since the stroke).  Looked at Bob Crites site and am very interested in what he's doing.  When you say drop in, i'm wondering what that involves?

7 minutes ago, EZsmoke said:

Was up way to late last night following a couple of thread on the replacing of the old caps.  Was very impressed with what was being done in those threads.  I am certainly not as capable as those fellows (especially since the stroke).  Looked at Bob Crites site and am very interested in what he's doing.  When you say drop in, i'm wondering what that involves?

Sure.

All that's necessary to do this is a power drill to remove the drivers and the crossover that's there, and to put the driver and cup back.  You'd just remove the old crossover and place the new crossover in.  Bob's are on a wood block, so you don't need to remount them to the cup, you can use adhesive.  Installation takes about a half hour.

I lucked into a pair of RF-3’s years ago. Very capable speakers. Had them in the master bedroom and never heard them as bright or lacking in bass. Never felt the need for a subwoofer and I was using an old Onkyo HT receiver.

I had both the bass and treble bumped up.

If it is an HT receiver make sure the “speakers front” are set to large and/or subwoofer crossover is set as low as possible. 

Do you have access to the manual for your JVC?

It is likely something easily resolved.

• Like 1

Great as i'm much more willing to replace the yamaha rx-995 then the speakers.  I would like to try the Bob Crites method on replacing the crossover and maybe the tweeter if possible.  Wondering if i have to take out the bottom woofer to do that crossover work.  I'm not very handy anymore.  More of a plug and play guy now.  Any suggestion on a power souce for the speakers would be welcomed.  Budget around $500-$700  for integrated amp/ or receiver.

1 minute ago, EZsmoke said:

Great as i'm much more willing to replace the yamaha rx-995 then the speakers.  I would like to try the Bob Crites method on replacing the crossover and maybe the tweeter if possible.  Wondering if i have to take out the bottom woofer to do that crossover work.  I'm not very handy anymore.  More of a plug and play guy now.  Any suggestion on a power souce for the speakers would be welcomed.  Budget around $500-$700  for integrated amp/ or receiver.

You would need to remove the bottom woofer to get to the current XO.  You'd also need to remove the terminal cup.  It's not too bad, handy or not.

As for a new power source I recommend:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdtm407/integra-dtm-40.7-2-x-80-watts-networking-stereo-receiver/1.html

10 minutes ago, EZsmoke said:

That looks good but i'm using the klipsch rws subwoofer 12.  Not sure i could plug it into that receiver.  Sorry i've not mentioned that in this thread, i'm sure that information would have been helpful. 

Why couldn't you?  It uses RCA like any other subwoofer.