Yamaha RX-V995 and Klipsch RF-3 speakers, too bright, help please

EZsmoke

1 minute ago, EZsmoke said:

Your right i see that now.  Sorry my brain is starting to feel like mush.

All good.

I have the older 40.4 model and love it.  Makes the satellites I own sound huge.  Eventually it will power Heresy's - and I imagine it's going to be something special.  I'm betting it'd make those RF-3's really sing too.

24 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

All good.

I have the older 40.4 model and love it.  Makes the satellites I own sound huge.  Eventually it will power Heresy's - and I imagine it's going to be something special.  I'm betting it'd make those RF-3's really sing too.

Everything i can find out about this integra sounds really good and that's a hellava a price.

On 3/10/2018 at 7:39 PM, The History Kid said:

The issue probably is not that Yamaha, although I recommend a stereo receiver or integrated for music. Look at offerings from Integra and Marantz for that mission. You won't be disappointed.

You will almost certainly benefit from upgrading or replacing the crossovers in your RF-3s. The sound difference likely comes from old caps on the RF-3. Bob Crites sells upgraded drop in crossovers now for the 3 though if soldering isn't your bag.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'm getting ready to order new tweeters from Bob.  I believe i can replace those.  I not sure about doing the crossovers,  I think i can and will probably order them.  Just since the stroke in Jan i'm not myself,  my brain feels mushy and i 've lost my confidence.  Probably be a good project to help me get some of that back.

I'm getting ready to order new tweeters from Bob.  I believe i can replace those.  I not sure about doing the crossovers,  I think i can and will probably order them.  Just since the stroke in Jan i'm not myself,  my brain feels mushy and i 've lost my confidence.  Probably be a good project to help me get some of that back.
If you can do the tweeters, you can do the crossovers. Did not know Bob had RF-3 upgraded drivers...?

2 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

If you can do the tweeters, you can do the crossovers. Did not know Bob had RF-3 upgraded drivers...?

I'm going to have to take both woofers out to do the crossovers correct?  

This is the link he sent to do the tweeter.  https://critesspeakers.com/replacing_the_diaphragm_on_.html

I'm going to have to take both woofers out to do the crossovers correct?  
This is the link he sent to do the tweeter.  https://critesspeakers.com/replacing_the_diaphragm_on_.html
Oh, I thought you meant the driver not the diaphragm.

You should only need to remove one woofer.

1 minute ago, The History Kid said:

Oh, I thought you meant the driver not the diaphragm.

You should only need to remove one woofer.

Is the diaphragm something i should be concerned about replacing?  Which woofer do you think would need to come out?  Sorry for the stupid questions

Is the diaphragm something i should be concerned about replacing?  Which woofer do you think would need to come out?  Sorry for the stupid questions
It could be. I haven't done it, never felt like I needed to. The titanium diaphragm is good enough for me. The bottom woofer is the one you'd remove.

1 hour ago, The History Kid said:

It could be. I haven't done it, never felt like I needed to. The titanium diaphragm is good enough for me. The bottom woofer is the one you'd remove.

So i guessing you take the bottom woofer out and put the new crossover thru that hole and place on the bottom?

I called Klipsch and the guy i talk to went to a tech and came back and suggested the harshness was because my yamaha RX-V995 at 100 watts being under powered for that 125 watt speaker.  He said if my crossovers looked good (which they do) he wouldn't replace them same with the tweeter if it wasn't blown it's probably ok?  A little confused.

From Bob  :If there is room, I like to mount the crossovers in the bottom of the cabinet.  The board these are built on is 6 X 10.5 inches.  If there is not room, I suggest on a side or back whichever is easier.  We put velcro tabs on the board corners, but I suggest one hole be drilled in the new board for one wood screw to help the Velcro out. That is probably not needed for floor mount, but I would probably do that anyway.

@EZsmoke that is the typical Klipsch reply and it is bollocks.  The receiver is not underpowering the speakers.  My god, if that was true EVERY person who owns an AVR from the last 5 years underpowers their speakers and is damaging them.  That's simply not true.  No AVR puts out over 100 WPC All channels driven that's under a few thousand right now, and no one is going to tell me that everyone running Klipsch is dropping that money on an AVR.  

Klipsch's retort is FALSE.

I placed my new XO's on the front bottom of the speaker enclosure and used the included Velcro.  Worked like a charm.  You might need to use where you remove the woofer to remove the XO too.  If I remember right, the XO is larger than the cutout for the terminal cups.

5 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

@EZsmoke that is the typical Klipsch reply and it is bollocks.  The receiver is not underpowering the speakers.  My god, if that was true EVERY person who owns an AVR from the last 5 years underpowers their speakers and is damaging them.  That's simply not true.  No AVR puts out over 100 WPC All channels driven that's under a few thousand right now, and no one is going to tell me that everyone running Klipsch is dropping that money on an AVR.  

Klipsch's retort is FALSE.

I placed my new XO's on the front bottom of the speaker enclosure and used the included Velcro.  Worked like a charm.  You might need to use where you remove the woofer to remove the XO too.  If I remember right, the XO is larger than the cutout for the terminal cups.

Yes,yes and yes.  When he said that  i called bulls**t.

2 hours ago, EZsmoke said:

I believe the diaphragms in the RF-3's are 4 ohm, Crites are 8 ohm. The RF-3 already uses titanium so replacements shouldn't be needed unless one is blown or you just want to freshen up. There's a guy selling silk diaphragms for the RF-3 on eBay claiming they are smoother than stock ones but I've never tried them myself but they seem to get good reviews:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-RF-3-RF3-RF-3II-RF-5-K-124-K-Tweeter-DRIVER-SILK-Diaphragm-replacement/371651452866?hash=item5688271fc2:g:LagAAMXQBwlRWbVp

• Like 2

Yamaha Natural Sound Receivers have sounded bright with my Heresy IIs. I know they can make lesser speaker brands sound much more detailed than they could normally sound.

It's mentioned a lot over the www. Once you get horn loaded Klipsch dialing back the treble, possibly the mid helps (me) a lot. I've had to even bump up the bass to 1:00 a couple of times. The variable loudness on their early 90s amps can > warmth while < brightness.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EZsmoke said:

Yes,yes and yes.  When he said that  i called bulls**t.

You might do what others have said and do some adjustments on the EQ.  I'm not familiar with the 995, but it shouldn't be having the trouble.  If the issue persists, the XO's are a good place to start.  Regardless the XO upgrades will benefit you, especially if they're RF-3's and not 3 II's.  If you want to avoid spending money though, start with tone adjustment, then look at throwing money around.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The History Kid said:

Regardless the XO upgrades will benefit you

I recently updated the caps and resistors (Dayton caps & Mills resistors) in a pair of RF-3's (about $40 in parts) and it really cleaned up the sound, worth doing IMO if you plan on keeping the speakers. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I recently updated the caps and resistors (Dayton caps & Mills resistors) in a pair of RF-3's (about $40 in parts) and it really cleaned up the sound, worth doing IMO if you plan on keeping the speakers. 

Thank you for your input.  I might just sell the tower,sub,surrounds, and center as i don't use them for my tv (don't watch much), instead of having all these speaker in my room when i just really want to listen to stereo music. With the money a get from the sale treat myself and spurge on a new pair (don't know what).  The stroke has me reeling a little and kind of confused as what to do.  I just want to hear really good music soon,

6 minutes ago, EZsmoke said:

Thank you for your input.  I might just sell the tower,sub,surrounds, and center as i don't use them for my tv (don't watch much), instead of having all these speaker in my room when i just really want to listen to stereo music. With the money a get from the sale treat myself and spurge on a new pair (don't know what).  The stroke has me reeling a little and kind of confused as what to do.  I just want to hear really good music soon,

I would keep the towers and the sub.  The sub has no equal in the Klipsch lineup right now, and the towers can be managed fairly easy.  What surrounds and center do you have?

1 minute ago, The History Kid said:

I would keep the towers and the sub.  The sub has no equal in the Klipsch lineup right now, and the towers can be managed fairly easy.  What surrounds and center do you have?

RC-3 center and RS-3 surrounds