bookshelf speakers in a bookshelf

daddyo

My new 5.1 setup will require front (L/C/R) speakers be placed in a built-in bookshelf enclosure around the TV.   Not only will the speakers be on a shelf but in a "cave" cubicle.  The cubicle will be approx.  18"x10"x14"  (HxWxD) for L/R and speakers can be pulled out to edge.    Should I only consider front ports for this application ?   Would lining the cave with acoustic material help or using a bung on rear ported speakers work (I will use a sub or 2) as an alternative ?   Front ported BS speaker options are somewhat limited but Klipsch does offer the RB's (61/81 II's).    Are these a good choice ?   Ceiling speakers or perhaps wall speakers in the same cave cubicles are other possibilities.   Comments ?

35 minutes ago, daddyo said:

My new 5.1 setup will require front (L/C/R) speakers be placed in a built-in bookshelf enclosure around the TV.   Not only will the speakers be on a shelf but in a "cave" cubicle.  The cubicle will be approx.  18"x10"x14"  (HxWxD) for L/R and speakers can be pulled out to edge.    Should I only consider front ports for this application ?   Would lining the cave with acoustic material help or using a bung on rear ported speakers work (I will use a sub or 2) as an alternative ?   Front ported BS speaker options are somewhat limited but Klipsch does offer the RB's (61/81 II's).    Are these a good choice ?   Ceiling speakers or perhaps wall speakers in the same cave cubicles are other possibilities.   Comments ?

IMO, yes only(preferably) front ported.  And yes RB-61IIs or 81IIs would be excellent choices.

Do you have a photo of this said entertainment/AV stand?

Bill

W -  under construction but see below for similar concept.    Mine will be narrower and deeper with side shelves about 10" wide.   Another possibility is to box in the side shelves and install in-wall speakers and then use a similar box for the cc.

Fireplace and TV.jpg

I agree, plus using them as designed whereas the BS would be less than ideal application.   Also would be able to use identical L/C/R speakers.   In all cases, surrounds will need to be ceiling but most in-wall manuf. also have matching ceiling line.

• Like 1