The Latest in High End Audio

Don Richard

2 hours ago, hsosdrummer said:

To put it plainly, the speakers sounded like huge... (wait for it)... speakers. At no time did they produce an illusion that real human beings were playing and singing (the recording featured Dave's wife on vocals) in the room with us. It was simply a giant stereo system. My most charitable explanation for what I experienced was that Dave Wilson and the rest of those attendees were seeking (and satisfied by) a very different audio illusion than I am.

Thanks for that.  It's not a surprise--at least to me, but it's yet another confirmation of something that I noticed a long time ago by watching people and talking to them.   There's apparently a lot of people that believe that loudspeakers should sound like loudspeakers...and not like the real thing.  That especially includes those that write for "audiophile" magazines that write glowing reviews of that type of sound.  Generally they're nice guys, but they have weird ideas about esthetics or goals of sound reproduction. 

Chris

• Like 1

I have listened DIY speakers at my friends place , that are much like these  Dunlavy SC-VI.

Very coherent and lifelike sound, was amazed that with all that drivers the sound is like it is coming from one source. The sound was huge yet detailed and very lifelike. My RF 42II sound like bluetooth toys compared with these.

I have listened GR Tannoy line of speakers too, and these big boxes with lot of drivers sounded better than Tannoys. A little more lifelike to my ears although Tannyos are very good at that. May expectation was that point source of Tannoys should be in advantage here, but I was wrong. Tannoys could struggle with big orchestral pieces, while these big boxes were detailed and every instrument was distinguishable from the others in the orchestra.  

3 hours ago, parlophone1 said:

I have listened DIY speakers at my friends place , that are much like these  Dunlavy SC-VI.

Very coherent and lifelike sound, was amazed that with all that drivers the sound is like it is coming from one source. The sound was huge yet detailed and very lifelike. My RF 42II sound like bluetooth toys compared with these.

I have listened GR Tannoy line of speakers too, and these big boxes with lot of drivers sounded better than Tannoys. A little more lifelike to my ears although Tannyos are very good at that. May expectation was that point source of Tannoys should be in advantage here, but I was wrong. Tannoys could struggle with big orchestral pieces, while these big boxes were detailed and every instrument was distinguishable from the others in the orchestra.  

2 hours ago, garyrc said:

I wonder how they would sound with a grille fabric wall in front of them.  Seeing those speakers may interfere with any chance of a sonic illusion of instruments in space.

A good D'Appolito configuration (m-t-m) when dialed in and reasonably time coherent can sound like one homogeneous sheet.  I was always surprised when I had a pair that I had built dialed in and how they would just disappear as a sound source.  Fully coherent, sound emanating from single location.  Can be somewhat addicting. 

7 hours ago, parlophone1 said:

I've heard Tannoy Canterbury's that could not possibly be described as struggling with orchestral pieces.  Makes me wonder if something else was going on (room set up, equipment) or else maybe you are describing what I would call "musical" vs highly resolving to the point of being something beyond what we even hear in a live performance.  No doubt there are more resolving speakers than the Tannoy's but they sure are fun!  My Heritage Klipsch are  a lot of fun too.  

I don't know, if I would have to pick something of the above I would say that room acoustics would have the major role. They were driven by better Acuphases, cabling was very fine etc. Room is shaped ok, although with not much furniture. But it was acoustically treated. I believe the recording was good enough to reveal all the layout of the orchestra and the instruments that were there.

I could hear less resolving recordings very easily. Dont know how to describe it, but there was something better in playing orchestration with tall multi driver speakers than the Tannoys. It is like the sound is omnipresent. Tannoy excelled playing at low volumes and they can be listened very close, I guess that is why people with small rooms love them. Their tonal characteristics are very appealing to the ears. They play effortlessly and lively, with that special character that drive a man to extended listening sessions.

Of all speakers that I could audition in a hifi shops, the dual-concentric Tannoys left the best impression to me. I have not heard heritage Klipsch because no one nearby has any.

I  heard the Grand Slamms at the Stereophile Show in NY in 1996. I thought they were pretty good, but not by any means the best sound at the show. What a production Dave Wilson put on. Controlled listening environment with a limited audience each "showing". The foyer was reserved for static displays of speakers and Transparent cables. All of it way beyond my means.

I also briefly owned a pair of the original Wilson Sophias a few years ago. Nice speakers, but lacking in midrange detail. I didn't keep them long. I'm sure the latest offerings are better but I haven't heard any of them. I think the bottom line is that there is equal or better sound to be had for far less $$.

Shakey

When I picked up my Welborne Labs 2A3 amps from the shop, I got to listen to them playing through a pair of these... Gauder Akustic Berlina RC-11 towers. They weiagh 230 kilograms each. The sound was very, very good, but nowhere near the asking price of around $160k. I think my La Scalas were every bit as involving.

Bruce

BERLINA_RC_11.jpg