Best way to setup speakers for both Auro-3D and Dolby Atmos

dubs

I have the Denon X6400H 11.1 receiver. It does both Dolby atmos and Auro-3D out the box. I’d like to setup my speakers in a way that’s condusive to both immersive 3D audio formats. Does anyone have a good way to achieve this?

I think I’ll do a 10.2 setup. 

-A regular 5.1 channel surround. Extra subwoofer. (5.2)

-4 height channels (RP-140SA)

-1 extra height channel above TV for Dolby Atmos height speakers (RP-140SA)

-1 Voice Of God Channel (5800-CDT-II)

My original goal was to do a 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos setup. But now with Auro-3D out, I’d like to sample both audio formats. 

An option would be get the speakers in position for a 7.2.4, then buy 4 extra Auro-3D “height channels”. Once all speakers are in place, depending on movie I’m watching(and format that catches on), I can just alter my speaker configuration in back of receiver. That or spend another $2400 on the Denon 13.2 X8500. Haha. I’ve watched a few reviews on the 8500 and they’re hailing it as an homage to Denon in its glory daze. It’s a beast. Well, for 4G’s it better make me doughnuts too. Ha.

Thanks, I’m not sure it will process more than 11, and I thought when buying the 6400 I’d be set, that 11.2 channels was enough. I guess not, as the 8500 just got released and it has the worlds first 13.2 channel powered and processed channels. Not to mention it has a total of 15 channel processing. I mean wtf. That’s what I want. But at the price tag of 4G’s it’s a little hard to stomach. 

Thanks, I’m not sure it will process more than 11, and I thought when buying the 6400 I’d be set, that 11.2 channels was enough. I guess not, as the 8500 just got released and it has the worlds first 13.2 channel powered and processed channels. Not to mention it has a total of 15 channel processing. I mean wtf. That’s what I want. But at the price tag of 4G’s it’s a little hard to stomach. 
The Marantz AV8805 processes I think 15.2. You would need amps though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• 9 months later...

I have the denon 6400 also. What I have is the following and where mounted or placed

RF-7 Fronts..Foor standing

600M Bookshelf Front Heights Mounted high on front wall near ceiling 

12W Subwoofer Front on Left 

RP 600 C center under TV front center

RP 502 Surrounds High on wall centered front and rear

RP 500 rear surrounds high on wall rear

Hersey surround back left and right.

I tried it when I had a Denon 4400 without the RP 502's and 600M and used the RP 500 as dolby atmos on top of the RC 7 and it was not great for my room. 

I was truly wanting the separation of height and purchased the RP 502's and 600M's and moved the RP 500 to my back wall. Now I get better heights and seem to be closer to waht I wanted. I really think room dynamics ( size / shape will ) determine how good it gets for you. My personally I don't think one format is so much better and I have tried both on my system .

694690668_11.2SETUP.thumb.png.51bfb7869882c3b1dfe90e3152c1fb06.png