Need a small (tiny) center for my RB-61 ii

Justmikeyd

Moving into a new home and want to add a center to my bookshelf speakers (rb-61 II) ..  the catch is this, I have a small space (8” deep) and a wife who would prefer no center.  Any recommendations for a center that would pair decently well?  I know they should match, but most of the matches won’t fit on that ledge... any thoughts on gallery (or the new RP version of the gallery on wall), the center from a quintet, or maybe one of the older synergy centers?  Open to ideas here, just needs to be small and compact. 

Edited by Justmikeyd

2 hours ago, Justmikeyd said:

Follow-up, would using 5 in-ceiling speakers be better than running the 4.1 setup above with bookshelves...

No.  Unless for Atmos purposes my opinion is that in ceiling speakers are always a compromise.  You can't move them without extreme difficulty.  You can't upgrade them without extreme difficulty.

I'm completely satisfied with my 4.2 bookshelf setup.

• Moderators

Of the front three speakers the center is the most important, if you have 3. If no room for a center at least as good as the other two skip the center as people have said, the receiver will send that info to the front L&R. This is better then a center that can't keep up, not hearing voices and other center info makes you miss the most important parts.

3 hours ago, Justmikeyd said:

So no pics yet, just trying to work out what I can do given the constraints the wife has given lol.

This is not always the best place to explain that the wife sets the rules, you may get some rough comments about that because most feel it should be a fair compromise, at least. Most start out with "is there any compromise in her shoe or cloths closets, do you make the rules there ?" and can go downhill from there. Most here have wives but feel it should be a compromise not one person rules, good luck with that. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dtel said:

Of the front three speakers the center is the most important, if you have 3. If no room for a center at least as good as the other two skip the center as people have said, the receiver will send that info to the front L&R. This is better then a center that can't keep up, not hearing voices and other center info makes you miss the most important parts.

Agree! If you need a cabinet for the tv you might be able to build  it to house a matching center channel. I build a tv cabinet to match my left and right speakers. If you don't tell the wive she may never know. Of course you would have to get the parts and be able to build the cabinet.

Either get a good center or go without one.

Do like the rest of us do here, we lay down the law to our wives.

We're the Boss. Tell her that. Say "Honey, I'm the Boss

and I'm gonna get a Big *** center channel. You'll thank me later."

See how simple that was.

If you're scared to do that,  try it a few times in front of a mirror.

Good Luck.

Welcome to the forum mikey!

How big is the new room's front stage? If it's 10' or less no center would be just fine, IMO. In your receiver/processor's speaker setup menu, tell it there's no center. I have a 2.1 system in our back room and dialogue is very clear coming out the Left and Right mains.

The RC 52II will work great with the 61s - I had that configuration for a few years before I purchased an RC 62II. They are discontinued but readily available. If your couch is about five feet or so away a 42will work as well. The 52 is your best bet and will match very well. Aprox  6” Tall so it will fit and front ported to boot.

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Ljk said:

Is that good luck with center channel or wive?☺

The wife, I'm sure she's OK, if not sounds like a talk about what's fair is needed ? Better him than me. :lol: Been married almost 40 years, it's 2 people, not one making the rules, rookie, don't put up with that :pwk_bs: She's no more "special" then him, unless she is his sugar mom, if so carry on your doing good. :emotion-19:

But there is no such thing as a tiny center speaker worth having, like everyone says let that signal go to the mains you will be much happier.

• 4 weeks later...