justinsweber

Justin... I can not find any info on the oppo website, does the sonica dac have multiple ess pro chipsets or a single chip?

From the small pictures, I think I can only see a single chip.

Do you have any idea how accurate the clock is in this unit? 

Oppos website lacks the info.

What 6922/5ar4 tubes come with the unit?

I bought a VPI Classic Sig and Ortofon Quintet Black. I have 2 SUTs to pair with it. 

I now have a stock Sonica and the Classic Sig. 

If I want convenient I go with the Sonica, If I want hires I use my table. 

I can't afford to have both at such a level and decided Vinyl was my right choice long term.

The ability for it to stream form Tidal and Spotify was what sold me. I got rid of having a computer in the room. The music is now piped directly to the dac... and my phone just acts to chose the song. The addition of the tube section and the impressive iron moved everything up a notch or three.

Its a single ESS9038pro

"ESS Technology announced its new flagship ES9038PRO SABRE DAC at CES 2016, generating immediate attention from audio manufacturers looking to raise the standard on new generation high-resolution audio products. The new ESS PRO SABRE 32-bit, 8-channel DAC chip goes the extra mile by offering the industry’s highest dynamic range (DNR) of 140dB with an impressive THD+N at -122dB.    New hardware features include full-scale manual/auto-gain calibration to reduce device-to-device gain error (allowing to configure multiple DACs for high channel count systems), option for programmable volume control ramp-rate with +18 dB, DSD over PCM (DoP) decoder and a total of eight preset filters for maximum design flexibility. Its programmable functions allow customizing outputs to mono, stereo, and 8-channel output in current-mode or voltage-mode based on performance criteria, together with user-programmable filters and programmable THD compensation to minimize THD caused by external components.   For audio designers, the ES9038PRO SABRE DAC includes significant advancements over previous generations, simplifying the implementation of specific software and reducing debugging time. The volume level of all internal DACs can be updated with a single software instruction. Clock gearing reduces MCLK frequency and saves power - the chip has 500 mW power consumption at 192 kHz sampling and 100 MHz MCLK - while advanced power management features enable a low-power idle mode when the audio signal is absent."

The 6922s are new Tungsol gold pins. The 5AR4 is a Japanese NOS from the Mullard tooling. 

ESS_ES9038PRO_Block_120715_Web.jpg