OK to split Pre-Out?

Barnard

Hello,

I could not find clear answer, so i just wanted to ask before i spend more money. if it is ok to split the amp pre-out?

My situation is: Yamaha a-s2100 amp (does not have sub-out). Both A/B sets of speakers being used. Pre-out is driving my Klispch 15 inch sub. I want to add another slave amp so i can run another set of speakers outside, but i do not have another set of pre-outs to use, so the only option is to split. Will this work?, impedance's be ok? No loss in sound quality? Cheers.

Cheers. I did not want to buy the extra amp until i knew would be ok, but i believe the input impedance of the amp is 8 ohm and looking at the specs of the yamaha pre out is 1vrms/1.5kOhm. Not sure of the impedance of the klipsch active sub.

The pre-amp in my garage runs my garage system and patio system.  There's a splitter at the back of my pre-amp which sends a signal to my garage amp or patio amp.  I can run one or the other or both with no issue.  The signal to my garage amp then gets split again.  One side goes the the speaker amp and the other to the sub amp.  Again, no issues.

You would have to have a tube preamp with a high output impedance hooked to a solid state amplifier with a very low input impedance to get problems. Most solid state preamps have an output impedance of 200 ohms or less, most solid state amplifiers have an input impedance of 20,000 ohms or greater. Tube amplifiers usually have an input impedance over 100,000 ohms. As long as the amplifier has 10X the impedance of the preamp or more, it's good.

@Barnard

In modern day equipment the output impedance of a line level stage, pre amp output for instance,  is low and the line level input impedance, of a power amp for instance, is high. The  high input impedance "bridges" the low output impedance. Why?, because we are after maximum signal (voltage) transfer from the source to the load.

The spec you quoted from Yamaha 1Vrms/1.5kOhm means Yamaha does not suggest loading the outputs with less than 1.5kOhm. The input impedance of the Klipsch active sub is probably 10kOhms or greater and you will be putting your new amp in parallel with this. Now the input impedance, 8 ohms that you quoted does not sound correct. What amp is it?