New chapter in my life

wuzzzer

Hi Wuzzer

Family first, always.  I have given up several jobs to take care of family. I have never had a job I couln't live w/o due to being unencumbered until I was 52. Kept things simple and inexpensive. I was living on $900/month before I got married. 

Back to you ... sorry I ramble

Working for free isn't bad. The rewards are often greater than any monetary gains. Comin' across as a bit of hippy.

if you really wanna enter the workforce again ... there is a certain amount of freedom staying out of mgt. Much less stress being "one of the crew"

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mallette said:

It ain't what you make. It's all about what you have to do to get it.

Dave

The most miserable people that I know are the retirees that didn't prepare themselves properly for retirement. You can't buy time.

Keith

11 hours ago, T2K said:

The most miserable people that I know are the retirees that didn't prepare themselves properly for retirement. You can't buy time.

The most miserable people I know are the ones who want to retire but can't afford to.

• Like 2

The most miserable people I have ever met were senior management types. Once they are retired no one listens to them anymore and they can’t cant give orders. They are also the most reluctant to retire as their identities are too tied to thier jobs. My soon soon to retire GM is a case in point. He will be gone in a couple months and is terrified of the prospect. He and his wife (nurse retiring in June), will be moving down south to New Brunswick. He keeps telling me that he can’t do “nothing”. His concept of doing something is working. He claims he will grab a part time gig which I predict he will last in until coffee the first morning. If he is not in charge he is not happy, a senior working part time is not going to be in charge of anything. He has zero hobbies or interests, work has been his whole life.The happiest retirees I’ve known were regular guys who realize they have just won the lottery of time. Time to do what you want, when you want and how you want. No more orders being taken.

• Like 1

Retirement takes an adjustment. From life built around and dictated by employment to doing just exactly whatever you want to do every day is great. Personally, I've never felt like my job defined me. I do feel that how I performed my job defined me.

I'm secure in my retirement and hope the same for others. You can't rely on future promises. Taking time out is great if it doesn't affect your future, as Analog Junkie noted above.

Keith

• Like 1

Our income levels are so different, that a  lot of what I have to say doesn't relate.

we live simple.

I can offer two bits of advice that relate to all

Don't work yourself to death preparing for retirement AND do not "retire" yourself to death, when you do retire.

Keep busy. 

• Like 1

I start my new job Monday.  It'll give me significantly more time for everything I enjoy in life.

Floating Custodial/Commercial Cleaner is my official title.  I get a uniform and don't have to dress up for work.  I'm very happy.

• Like 1

I did janitorial at the bowlng alley for a couple years. It was casual once they decided to do it my way.  They had me scheduled to work 10PM - 6AM. It only took 3 or 4 hours to clean the place. Got them to change my hours to 4AM - Noon.  That gave them 3 hours more useful time. I bartended, cooked,  learned the desk, mechanic ...  upper level mgt fought me the whole time. And I still had free time to socialize with the customers.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2018 at 12:21 PM, wuzzzer said:

I start my new job Monday.  It'll give me significantly more time for everything I enjoy in life.

Floating Custodial/Commercial Cleaner is my official title.  I get a uniform and don't have to dress up for work.  I'm very happy.

well

how is it going?

A friend of mine is doing janitorial. Was finishing cement. Contract to several local places. B-N-Bs, that kind of thing. He's really enjoying it. Much more casual and we aren't getting any younger... ya know what I mean?

in case you haven't noticed ... I am a "less is more" type, for the most part