New chapter in my life

wuzzzer

On 3/17/2018 at 11:07 PM, T2K said:

The most miserable people that I know are the retirees that didn't prepare themselves properly for retirement. You can't buy time.

Keith

the most miserable people I know are working a job they hate, just so they might be able to retire. I considered myself retired when I was working.  It was a job I enjoyed. And could survive the wage.

19 hours ago, WillyBob said:

in case you haven't noticed ... I am a "less is more" type, for the most part

Me, too.  I used to be the other way around.  I shedded all that stuff.  I resented how much my stuff owned me.  I was working for it, instead of it working for me.  Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.

Just now, WillyBob said:

I wouldn't go that far.  But, in principle, yes

I don't know how far "that far" is in your speak.  To me, it means not having classic cars to keep up, not having a pool, not having too much house or too much yard.  Living with a small footprint is easy and provides great flexibility.  When I was young, I couldn't understand why so many retirees were down-sizing.  Now, I do.

• Like 1

^ ^ ^ this Jeff Matthews is very true.  and no, no intent to have you check the reference to you or directly quote you.

but to me, and I think some of you - time is the most valuable thing in the world.  if I am burdened by upkeep of something, where that upkeep becomes a PITA (pain in the ...), then why have it?  do I really need it?  my time is the most valuable thing in the world to me, preferably to use as I please

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well so much for the new job.  It didn't work out for many reasons.

Another big change, put our house up for sale and it sold in less than 24 hours for more than our asking price.

Signed a lease for an apartment on the outskirts of a town an hour away that has a nice lake you can see from the building.  Quiet, dead end road.  First floor apartment with no one beside us, just above us.  I love fishing so this will be a dream for me.

My wife and I have several friends where we're moving and she lived there for a while when she was younger.

I'm pumped.

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:13 AM, Jeff Matthews said:

When I was young, I couldn't understand why so many retirees were down-sizing.  Now, I do.

My wife and I talk about that all the time.  We needed a larger house when we had 3 kids at home but now 2 have flown the nest and the other one is in college (but still stays with us).  We have no need for the room we currently have except for, well........................ storing speakers.

• Haha 1

Which is why we'll probably limp along in our old house until the girls move out (currently ages 6 and 3.5). The plan has always been to bulldoze and build new, but we don't want a big house that's impossible to keep up with when we're older - yet we need a house big enough for two kids and all associated activities.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Which is why we'll probably limp along in our old house until the girls move out (currently ages 6 and 3.5). The plan has always been to bulldoze and build new, but we don't want a big house that's impossible to keep up with when we're older - yet we need a house big enough for two kids and all associated activities.

Just build a 3 bedroom house next to where you're currently living.  You can take years to build it a little at a time and pay as you go.  You don't need to be in a hurry as you have a place to stay now.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:50 AM, Jeff Matthews said:

Me, too.  I used to be the other way around.  I shedded all that stuff.  I resented how much my stuff owned me.  I was working for it, instead of it working for me.  Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.

Damn Jeff, sounds like you wised up early.

I remember sleeping on a feather mattress at my grandmothers house 60 years ago. It was comfortable, but not nearly as comfortable as not worrying about a dollar.

Keith

1 hour ago, wuzzzer said:

has a nice lake you can see from the building

Aren't you in Minnesota where everyone has a lake in their front/back/side yard??!!!

I remember flying into Minneapolis and looking down....  really brought it home to me just how many pockets of water you have.

Wish I could get the wife to understand the merits of smaller & paid for....  She's added onto the house twice and looking at a third (and there are only two of us)

sigh...

3 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Aren't you in Minnesota where everyone has a lake in their front/back/side yard??!!!

I remember flying into Minneapolis and looking down....  really brought it home to me just how many pockets of water you have.

Wish I could get the wife to understand the merits of smaller & paid for....  She's added onto the house twice and looking at a third (and there are only two of us)

sigh...

--- to prove how many lakes in Minn. just take a road trip through the state in mid-summer. And take gallons of wiper fluid to keep up oth the constant barrage of bug juice on the windshield. Even better yet do it on a motorcycle. You have to literally stop every hour, maybe less, to scrap the bugs of your helmet shield. I mean they are thick in the Land of 10,000 Lakes.

--- and having your home paid for is the key for early retirement or any retirement for that matter. 

1 hour ago, Coytee said:

Yes and no.  I live in a metropolis with a population of around 100,000.  We're moving to a city of 13,500 that's completely surrounded by lakes.

We'll be on the lower right between I-94 and the lake to its east.

zma18382.png

On 4/13/2018 at 12:04 PM, Thaddeus Smith said:

we have a "spare" house... if we could get our boy to move from it. I have big designs on that space. Guest house/man cave deluxe.

too bad about the job Wuzzzer. Taking a job you don't really need has its advantages.... especially if you make a point of it to your employer.

My life took a similar turn but for injury not decision, its been 6 years now I can say I cherish the time I now get to spend with my wife and boys, We lost pretty much everything material but we Gained so much more in other ways. We were able to finally build up some of the material crap again although in a new way. We own our home (small mobile home on 5 acres at the end of a dead end called boondocks rd.) we own our cars both older and used but run fine, 

Most today would look down there noses at how where we live  but we are much happier and though I can not claim stress free (I really wish I could but so much of what goes on around us today in the world makes me crazy and I just am not able to unplug and ignore it) I know we are better off

I say good for you Wuzzer, Life is short, Enjoy what you can

• Like 3